Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2007, 12:12   #1

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
Another Rescue!

This is a link to another rescue. In my opinion these people were obviously too inexperienced for this voyage that can be challenging and the boat was not properly prepared for sea. It is amazing that people expect the Coast Guard from any country or even simple Mexican fishermen to risk their lives for someone's foolish mistakes. These kind of incidents appear to be occurring much more frequently as more and more inexperienced people buy into the dream. We will all have to pay the price down the road through higher insurance premiums, requirements for boating licenses, and perhaps paying for a formal rescue - "this is the Coast Guard preparing to rescue you. May we please have your bankcard number? Please hold while we get bank authorization."

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/01/08/news/local/25-rough.txt

I participated in the Baja Ha Ha Rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas Mexico last November along with 163 other boats. At one of the stops along the way, one of the particpants in a trimaran called in on Channel 16 and said that his engine wasn't working and there was no wind and he was just bobbing around 10 miles from port. He requested that someone come out and tow him in. Richard Spindler, editor of Latitude 38 magazine and organizer of the event got on 16 and asked if there were any emergencies aboard. The answer was yes, we are becalmed! Richard said for the whole fleet to hear, "Captain that is very uncool! You'll just have to wait for some wind."

Amen!
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:23   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

To be fair to these folks, the story has been "translated" by a Journalist.......so some of the details may (LOL!) not be entirely accurate.........but.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:36   #3
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Say a lot about the kind hearts of the Mexican people.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:46   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
I don't see anything in this write-up that smacks of the blatant poor seamanship that was at play in the last grounding that got a thread here. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. Maybe it was bad luck. Can't tell from the write-up.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:53   #5

sea room, get away from land!

Seems to be the number one novice error. This is the third tale of woe I've read in the past two weeks. And they all have one thing in common. When things got nasty they all headed TOWARD land NOT away! That's like a pilot wanting to be closer to the ground in case he gets into trouble. In flying, altitude is your friend, just like in sailing sea room is your friend.

I blame it all on GPS navigation!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:58   #6

Boat: Outbound 44
The Chubasco they were referring to would have been blowing off shore, so it would be normal to come in closer to avoid the seas. Certainly entering a bay that you do not know may have been the real mistake. I was just pointing out the info in that write-up didn't give a lot to go by.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 13:21   #7
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Certainly not enough info.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 13:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
The Chubasco they were referring to would have been blowing off shore, so it would be normal to come in closer to avoid the seas. Certainly entering a bay that you do not know may have been the real mistake. I was just pointing out the info in that write-up didn't give a lot to go by.

Paul L
Yea, but rocks hurt more than the sea! It's a common theme. I'm getting hammered so I'm heading in, WRONG! If it's an offshore wind heave to and take a nap. What really amasses me is that all these folks were in boats bigger than 40'. And if their boat won't heave to or they don't know how, they have no business going to sea.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 15-02-2007, 15:18   #9

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
The Chubasco they were referring to would have been blowing off shore,
Actually a Chubasco is a violent summer storm generally from the South of relatively short duration. I don't believe they encountered a Chubasco in November. If anything it was probably a "norther" at that time of year from the North that can blow for several days at a time.

41 foot boat in 15 foot seas? Welcome to Mexico, these are pretty typical conditions along the Pacific Coast!

"Dennis had her get on the radio and issue a "pan" call. That's a step lower than mayday, but it means you've got serious problems and need help."

My understanding is that a "pan" call means you've got some problems but there is no emergency and you do not need help. It is merely a "heads up" notification to anyone in the area. If in fact they had serious problems and needed help, they should have put out a "mayday" call.

The article was written by a landlubber reporter and not very well done.
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 21:24   #10

Boat: No boat yet, just our bus "Odyssey"
I think we need to set up a way for us all to donate money to these people to help pay for their losses....

NOT!
Old 16-02-2007, 06:44   #11

Boat: gozzard 44
According to Chapman Piloting re: Summoning Assistance - Pan-Pan:

"If you require the assistance of other vessels, but the
danger is not life-threatening - in the case of a crew
overboard, for example - the situation is one of urgency.
Broadcast the Pan-Pan signal..."

A 'Securite' call would indicate a problem but no assistance required.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 06:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopubs
I think we need to set up a way for us all to donate money to these people to help pay for their losses....

NOT!
Better yet, a course on the value of searoom.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 16-02-2007, 07:01   #13

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Oh how compassionate some of us have become!!

Far easier to belittle the skills of those who have accidents - besides, it might actually cost me something. And of course, don't ask me to pay school taxes anymore either - my kids are no longer in school you see... and it's ALL about me don't you know?!

We as a society have lost the ability to be compassionate eh? Or maybe, just maybe, there are still some who are willing to assist others without first applying a "means test" to decide if the unfortunate are "worthy" of assistance. Let's hope they don't all reside in Mexico nowadays.

IMHO very disappointing to know that some people in this community harbor these feelings. I guess when they encounter a liferaft at sea they will first interview the occupants to determine if they made any mistakes that led to them being in the raft in the first place....

Time for some soul searching here I do believe....
Old 16-02-2007, 07:13   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Better yet, a course on the value of searoom.
I strongly agree. A looming lee shore in a blow, especially in unfamiliar waters, would be something I'd be doing everything to avoid.

The article also noted that the couple had only gotten turned on to sailing six years prior. The author also mentioned the sailing class attended, calling it an "advanced" class. In the end, I'd say that the experience of losing the boat was the advanced class. Good to hear that they seem undaunted and ready to give it a go again. Hopefully, the next time they'll approach the learning curve a little more conservatively.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 07:24   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
It's really difficult to get an accurate portrayal from the press, what with all the journalistic license and the desire to make an exciting story.

I wonder what really was meant by the line, "the mainsail had crashed to the deck from its 56-foot mast." Do you suppose that was merely an exciting what to characterize dropping the main in the face of strong winds?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue