Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2012, 05:20   #1

Another boat boarded and robbed

Hi
There has been another boat boarded and robbed. This time in Port Royal Roatan. I will not post the name because I do not have permission.

In early July while tied to one of the moorings at Mango Creek the boat was boarded by two men. One had a pistol and the other a shotgun. The boat was locked and they used the trick of saying "Police, open up" to gain entrance. The man was beaten with the shotgun and required stitches to his forehead. A large amount of money and electronics were taken.

When I discussed this with locals they say;
It was the "over the hill gang". They live at the top of the hill over Port Royal. The police know about them but do nothing because the gang is very well armed.

We are in Honduras right now and have been in the area for 9 years. It does seem to us to be deteriorating here.

Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 05:32   #2

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Another boat boarded and robbed

The underarmed police gang should call the overarmed army gang, then the well armed over the hill gang would become the disarmed under the ground gang.

That is, of course, as long as no baksheesh has passed hands between the well-armed and the underarmed, which of course would be underhanded.

Btw, why is the army called army when they go everywhere on their legs? Why is the navy called navy when they always say aye aye? It's a mystery to me....
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 05:57   #3

Boat: Union Polaris 36

This is getting crazy. It is always gangs that seem to be the perpetrators. And the police are pretty useless to defend. That is a tricky maneuver to say they were the police.

Down here you get to know that the police don't do much, so they are unlikely to come out to your boat ever, especially not at night.

I'm sorry another couple had to go through this.

I guess lots of lights outside and an airhorn, might scare off the bad guys and not the police. ANother reason people should keep their radio's on during the night. Police will respond to VHF, bad guys wont. Plus you can radio fellow cruisers to shine a spot on you.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 20:14   #4

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

This might be a opportunity to test the booze laced with rohipnol (sp?) idea from another thread. Perhaps a couple of large (gallon?) jugs of opened booze (less likely to be resold) could be prepared and allowed to be stolen by known gang members. After imbibing their ill gotten gains, members of the gang would be comatose and the ill equipped police could effect an 'arrest' of the suspects. After the raid the police would be better armed and would likely eat well for a while. Any recovered loot could be returned. At least the 'over the hill gang' would now be an 'in the jail gang'.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote