Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 01:00   #31

Re: An interesting prediction about the Sydney to Hobart race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
This is a really interesting thread that, I think, comes down to your own risk taking attitudes and whether you lean towards being authoritarian or libertarian. There's some similarities to the Isle of Man TT here and the discussion that happens every year about whether it should continue or not. There's been over 250 competitors killed, and more people who weren't competing, on the course in a little over 100 years of racing. The worst year was 2005 when 11 people were killed and, sadly, this included people who weren't actually racing. So the fatality rate is much higher than the Sydney to Hobart and, as far as I'm aware, any other sailing race. If it's not I'd love to hear about the race.

It's a very dangerous event to participate in. Depending on your point of view, it's either total madness that needs to be shut down or, it's one of the biggest challenges a human being can take on. Bike racing is already a very skillful and dangerous sport and doing it on public roads with no gravel traps, runoff etc etc cranks that up to 11. It's a truly awe inspiring place to be during the racing and standing in someone's front garden while bikes pass within a metre or so of you doing well in excess of 200kph can be jaw dropping.

The Isle of Man has two main sources of revenue; being a low tax jurisdiction and the tourist trophy races. This is likely the reason the races have managed to survive being shut down by people who are horrified by the amount of deaths and serious injury that happen every single year. Yet, the racing is growing in popularity. Racers who have been SERIOUSLY injured, I'm talking breaking 20+ bones in a single crash, crushing organs etc and being in traction in hospital with very long recovery periods that are in excess of one year, dodging death, use getting back to race at the Isle of Man as their motivation to get them through the recovery. Are they mental? Maybe. Depends on your views, as I stated above. I've met a few of them and many would be surprised at how rational they are.

Just another view to consider
For anyone wondering what you're talking about:

https://youtu.be/jQ4pTUg4950
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45   #32
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
For anyone wondering what you're talking about:

https://youtu.be/jQ4pTUg4950
I got Steph Gilmore's Audi ad when following that link - I assume that wasn't what you intended?

There's some pretty nuts on board footage of the bikes at the Isle of Man on youtube! Here's McPint in superbike qualifying in 2015:

tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:50   #33

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Egads! That went pear shaped pretty quickly!

Ok, for the record:

1. I am no kind of thrill seeker. I honestly believe a race like the Sydney to Hobart can be done without significant risk other than mild boredom, IN A BOAT LIKE MINE. I see a few boats each year that are either taking the same approach as me or are really, really poor sailors. I’m inclined to believe it is the former.

2. Australian humour does take some getting used to but I recently conducted a carefully managed scientific test and found that Jim and Ann got over 80% of my ironic remarks, without assistance or clues. I would say their assimilation into Australian society and culture is complete, not least because more than 50% of my jokes fall flat in an office full of people born here.

3. I do hope the medical bludgers remark was a poorly timed joke. It fell flat and in this situation, if I’d made the joke I’d apologise because we all misjudge the tone sometimes, no matter how familiar we are with irony.

Back to sailing stuff hey? Looks like another GGR update is happening and I have to view it, analyse it and summarise it into text form for someone a long long way from the internet who is currently doing stuff in boats that makes me green with envy.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:40   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

And the next minute your looking for a better excuse at the coronial inquiry.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:03   #35

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
You're adding accuracy. Both are true. They started hitting 200mph in recent years from around 2014, I think. Somewhere around there. I've driven around the circuit and ridden around it, not racing, though I raced for several years in the UK and also coached, and even Sulby Straight is not really a straight. Especially with the road camber you're fighting a superbike, trying to keep it in a straight line, all the way through there. Get it wrong and you've got a stone wall lining one side of the road and trees and houses on the other! Eeeek! Peter Hickman set a lap with an average speed of 132.8mph! They're some very powerful bikes with very grippy slicks!

I'm with you, for sure. Skiing is also an amazing sport! I'm one of those philistines that swapped to a board, though
Board or planks, Makes no difference, As long as your still doing it,
My Honda 1100XX was doing 186 MPH (300 Kph) in 1997, The one in the piccy, Ive done 138,000 kays on it in 7.5 years,
Broke my left shoulder on it, (**** tyres) and then broke my right collar bone on it, Sand on a tite corner having extreme fun, All in the last four years, Hahaha
Would love to be able to afford to go to the Isle of Man to race, Seniors these days tho, Hahaha
This is MT Buller if you havent been there, Great skiing when they have decent snow, Hahaha Its a Day trip for me,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride to Bombala 001 (55).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	181862   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	181863  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags