Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 15:57   #1

Alternative Boat Defense

Hey there have been reading quite a few threads on what people do as far as boat defense, and wanted to link an option I ran into and get others opinions on it.

FlashLauncher

Basically a paintball shooting flashlight that actually shoots pepper spray filled balls. It seems like it could be the perfect thing to deter the normal thief or intruder without escalating a situation because it just looks like a flashlight until someone gets hit with pepper spray.

The reasons I think this might be a great boat defense weapon are the following.

1. Comparably laws against pepper spray are non existent when compared to gun laws and other countries.
2. Again doesn't look anything like a gun therefore walking out on your deck is not going to escalate a situation like walking out with a shotgun.
3. Incapacitates anyone near where the balls hit. Shoot into a canoe of machete wielding pirates and non of them are going to be able to breath. The effects dont go away in any short amount of time either.
4. Non lethal. I'd rather not kill someone personally haha.
5. Doubt any officials will ask any questions about your heavy duty flash light.

I originally was going to carry a 45 stainless steal guide rifle, but got to thinking(and reading) any situation where I would find myself wanting to use a gun could either A. be done more effectively by a non lethal incapacitating tool, and B. be a situation where I will be immensity out gunned, and firing a shot will only be sure way to end my young life. Oh and btw I am from Montana and have extensive gun training, as well as personally own 5 guns. So I do enjoy guns, and use them, just this seems like it might be a better option.

Dont want this to turn into a gun carry vs. not thread. Was just more interested in what others thought of the tool I linked. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 08-02-2011, 17:25   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Sorry stuborndancer, for some reason this subject seems to turn otherwise reasonable folks into something else.

Probably shouldn't have mentioned you own guns. Seems to make some folks judge the owner to be a violent person. You might be accused of bringing you're militant attitude outside the US and that makes you unwelcome to join the club.
You won't hear me talk about a safe full of firearms like 1911s, ARs, revolvers, shotties, 22s, and several AKs of various configurations that I might own. Or not.

Apparently outside the US many people believe it's a mistake to consider being prepared to protect oneself. I don't get it. That's a generalization of course. Just today a elderly English lady chased away some jewelry store robbers with a swinging purse full of just purchased groceries.

About the device. I've read here that some far flung places consider like items unlawful.
Old 08-02-2011, 17:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
Really its ridiculous? Just being curious about a pepper spray self defense item. Basically the same kind of thing people have in there cars or purses. Just feels like in general you cant ask questions on forums like these anymore without people getting elitist and mean. Doesn't seem to matter how friendly and neutral you try and stay.
Don't let it get you down mate... just there's been a spate of this stuff lately and the 'nutters' got quite a few of us down....
Starting it up again....? Not a good idea.
First post screamed......"NUTTER.......'
Welcome to CF.... enjoy the sailing... leave the guns alone....
Just bring your handbag

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-02-2011, 17:32   #4

I just dont quite understand it I guess. I grew up in montana, and even though I have never had to deal with a bear attacking me, I still own pepper spray. Its simply not logical to head out into the woods without some kind of defense, and is regarded as unresponsible. But anyhow I dont want to get into any kind of disput, would just appreciate peopling being friendly and staying on subject. Hmm ok figured it would be pretty accepted in most places.
Old 08-02-2011, 17:33   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
If you read my other post, I'm planning on buying a boat in a couple years and moving. Just was looking for some friendly advice on an interesting item I had come across.

It seems realllly hard to find just plain old friendly people on the internet anymore.

Welcome to the forum. You just happened to walk in the door with one of the most controversial subjects in hand. For your future safety, the other one is anchor types.
Stick around for happy hour
Old 08-02-2011, 17:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I don't think it's silly. I keep my hatch locked at night, but if someone broke in I would really rather not risk shooting holes in my own boat. This device looks like it could be handy.

However, I'd hate to accidently pop off a few pepper rounds in a small space when all I meant was to grab for a flashlight in the dark. That could be unpleasant, though potentially comical.

I have no idea about the legality, though. Probably illegal in California as with most things, it seems.
Old 08-02-2011, 17:35   #7

well the safety is nice. It cant even fire without the whole handle sliding backwards. Usually its just a flashlight.
Old 08-02-2011, 18:30   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Why the obsession. In America with "self defense" " protection" are you guys getting attacked every where you go. I've been sailing all my life never needed " protection". I just don't understand the obsession. ( actually I do , I lived in the US , Americans think everyones out to get them) make sail not war etc.

Dave
Old 08-02-2011, 18:43   #9

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
I'd rather not get involved in a discussion of this subject here. I would ultimately lack any value. I've been around the blue marble a couple of times. While I thought Americans were pretty bad about stereotyping others, I have discovered it goes both ways pretty much.

This thread is my first and last time posting on the subject. I was just trying to help a newbie with his first impression of the forum. My welcome here was like hearing crickets chirp for some reason and I almost went elsewhere. Hell, even Gord skipped over my hello post. I was too wordy and pompous I think.

There's good stuff here if one stays away from guns and anchors and maybe budgets.
Old 08-02-2011, 18:43   #10

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Quote:
I'm not really a gun nut. Just thought personal defense was reasonable. especially in a non lethal way. Again... oh well.
Hey Stubdanc,

I'm just across the border North of you. We lose 3 or 4 people a year to bears, mostly tourists but the occasional mountain biker as well. Pepper spray is a no brainer out hiking around and it's every bit as good on a boat. A recent article in Lats and Atts also concluded it was best for a number of reasons. Canadian bear spray shoots about 30 ft which makes it the spray of choice. I keep a can in every stateroom on board. Easy to use - instructions written right on the can, no skills required. I could sell a s**t load of it to sailors but the manufacturer won't/can't sell it for export.

I can't say I feel the need to hide it in a flashlight.

Most Carib countries allow the import of bear spray as long as its shipped legally as dangerous goods. Just don't include any Japanese shaving brushes or voodoo magazines, that stuff will get you in serious trouble.

Dave
Old 08-02-2011, 18:55   #11
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501
Sitting at a bar some years ago I overhead the bartender and couple of "regulars" laughing at the tourists walking the woods in the UP of Michigan... So I listened alittle more before thinking they would be laughing at me next... come to find out they were laughing at the tourists being so dumb to be walking in the woods with BLACK BEARS roaming around without a sidearm! Seemed like at least one tourist gets attacked a month...
Old 08-02-2011, 18:57   #12

Thanks dave for the info, and I appreciate the welcome and help four winds. I didn't realize the Canadian bear spray had such a long reach. 30 yrds should be plenty. Part of the appeal of the flashlight was the added range from a paintball. But I must admit I'm a sucker for cool gadgets though haha.
Old 08-02-2011, 19:02   #13

Haha yeah I have a couple friends who go hiking and camping without protection but usually its considered pretty unresponsive when they do. Tell you what though, I think mountain lions are far scarier than a bear. Rare, but you never see them coming lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 19:05   #14

Boat: ketch, 51'
Greetings Stuborndancer,

Welcome to the site... Take them with a grain of salt (ok, a ton of salt)

As Atoll said ... you won't find a nicer,friendly,intelligent,informed,international. ....... bunch of people on this site.....
Unfortunately only one or two replied to your post, but they are here...

Any type of weapon or gizmo that shoots is trouble in most places out side the US and plain not worth the time. Most important as long as you don't act like some of the welcome committee here did you will do just fine.

Instead of the soldier of fortune site and the Darwin awards night recommended I would suggest ' www.how to ignore a$$ holes on the internet.org.
As a wise man said once -I refuse to get into an intellectual battle with an unarmed man-

:flow ers:
Old 08-02-2011, 19:05   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Shoot.... to hear you guys talk you'd think the US is the only country with wild animals...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread