Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2007, 07:04   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
Acid burning?

Hi Guy's

I as down on the boat last weekend and noticed a burning in my eye's when I was in the main cabin, with the a/c running and no fuel source working, wasn't diesel or gas but more like acid. I bought a co2 monitor which promply started sounding off. The only thing that I could think of was batteries charging and off-gassing? ( Flyback charger charging at five amps in Trickle mode) Battery bank is new 800 amps. any ideas???
I'm leaving for work but will checkin later

Thanks

Keith
Wildrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 18:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The only thing that I could think of was batteries charging and off-gassing?
If it was batteries that would be SO2 (sulphuric accid). That is common with flood batteries. The fact that you could feel, it is perhaps more serious. It would not be that high unless you were really cooking them. If it was CO2 then you would not feel it or detect it. CO2 is odorless as is CO with the latter being deadly and not associated with batteries. About the only thing I can think of that would be CO2 related would be a bad exhaust leak on an engine or a stove burning some type of fuel. Batteries would not emit CO2. A bad day of air polution would be far worse.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 19:28   #3

Boat: C&C 27
The other day I bought a head treatment, deoderizer from WM and spilled less than a teaspoon on the carpet of my car. It created a burning sensation in my eyes. If you have a head treatment, ospho or similar products you may want to insure they have not spilled.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 20:26   #4

Paul
The engine hasn't been running for a couple days nor was I doing any cooking, and yes the batteries are flood type. Would five amps charging on and 800 amp bank cook the batteries?

Pura Vida

I haven't installed any holding system (next on the list) nor used any treatment other than running fresh water through the heads. This whole thing has got me stumped. I've looked for any chemical spills or other causes but can find nothing.

keith
Old 30-08-2007, 21:30   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Battery bank capacity is less important than the battery voltage at that 5 amp rate.

If the batteries were fully charged, 5 amps might be enough to cause them to gas enough to give you the symptoms you describe.

Flooded batteries should float in the low to mid 13 volt range.

If they were floating in the mid 14's or higher, "Bingo we (probably) have a winner".

Are you going through a lot of battery water? Are they dry??

If yes to any of the above, get a smart battery charger.

Steve B.

PS I have a 400 ah bank of T105 Trojans which float charges on solar panels at about than one amp average input.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 21:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Hydrogen

5 amps shouldn't overcharge a battery bank as large as yours. Even if it did, the by product is hydrogen which is odorless and non irritating though highly explosive. In the right concentrations, it makes for a big bang and will blow the batteries up, btdt and it was a very expensive lesson. Voltage is a much better indication of overcharging. Believe batteries can maintain a charge rate of 14.2 volts indefinitely. I'd check that figure to be sure as it's been awhile since I refreshed my none to good memory.

I'd look at other sources of the irritant. Salt Water and quite a few chemicals can cause problems. btw, if you have a leaking battery, the acid in the battery creates a very caustic gas. That would only happen if the battery case was defective or the boat at an extreme heel angle.

Aloha,
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 23:57   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Red Tide?
Have them in Fl all the time.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 07:05   #8

I will check the above items and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all of the imput

Keith
Old 31-08-2007, 07:34   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

When battery acid mixes with sea water, it liberates chlorine gas. If you've got a split battery casing and some acid leaked into the bilge water...that could explain some nasty burning. (And it is nasty--you don't want to come back without protection.)

In any case I think the process would be to cut exterior power to the boat, including the AC and charger, then vent the boat thoroughly, and only then come back to see what the problem is. You might very well want to ask at the local fire department (volunteers or municipal down there?) if they have a couple of hazmat guys who can come inspect it with you, because acid vapors can permanently damage your lungs and eyes. They may also have the inspection tools (sniffers) to tell what the vapors are, and the Scott packs to use for protection while examining the likely suspects.

Since you are docked, and not at sea, why not take advantage of every possible safety precaution in looking for this?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 09:54   #10

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Near a nuclear power plant ?
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50   #11

Boat: In between boats
Re: Teak Handrails, No drilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
You have a 'glass hull liner, which is worst case scenario for this install. You can't bolt the two handrails to each other because one side needs a nut which will be too big to counterbore into the handrail and bung. I would consider removing the upper handrail and installing a substantial piece of nice timber as a pad for the lower handrail to land on. Then through bolt the upper rail through the pad under the deck. Then install the lower rail on the pad by screwing it into the pad with lag bolts. Maybe 5/4" teak or mahogany? If you radius it nicely and varnish it it will look OK, but it needs to be at least 1" thick. I'd consider living without, this is one of the drawbacks to a hull liner, it's very hard to make additions.
Thanks Minaret!

The reason I was considering a handrail is do to the fact the my guests kept grabbing onto my gear hammock, which runs along the starboard side, and tearing it down. I'm going to try using screws and 3M. I'll do a couple shock tests with my weight. If that doesn't hold, I'll save one of the more secure suggestions for the off season. Either way, I'll post an update with pics next week.

Thanks!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote