Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 07:32   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Worldwide circumnaviation - which charts(vendors) are best?

The problem I am facing is that the real good charts are commercial and start at around 1.200 USD each.

Navionics is affordabled but is considered as insecure.
IMRAY? - what ever else?

That is about electronic charts. When I am in a certain aerea I will buy official and local papercharts by country to be on the save side.

( Is there an exchange platform for used paper charts?)
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:12   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Worldwide circumnaviation - which charts(vendors) are best?

NOAA charts are now downloadable, and free. you just need a chart viewer, or quality printer.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
NOAA charts are now downloadable, and free. you just need a chart viewer, or quality printer.
NOAA charts won't get the OP very far on his circunavigation.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 09:09   #4

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
The problem I am facing is that the real good charts are commercial and start at around 1.200 USD each.
Depends what your purpose is. If you're looking for compliance reasons, chances are your electronic platforms are not at the level that would count outside the US. If they are, then you'd need to be using "official" charts which can be obtained from various places, either directly e.g. from Canada's CHS or 3rd parties such as Chartworld, PRIMAR, etc.

I agree that those are not particularly cheap, particularly for a worldwide portfolio. Non-official but less expensive copies of them for use with OpenCPN may be obtained from https://o-charts.org/index.html. If you are looking for something to load onto your plotter and not for compliance reasons, then the various commercial charts from Garmin, Navionics, etc. should be sufficient.

I'm not sure what you intended by insecure?
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 03:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

insecure...

that is the main point. i.E. Navionics are widely said to be inaccurate where it counts.
Old 18-05-2021, 10:49   #6

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Navionics are widely said to be inaccurate where it counts.
Ah, I see. My impression is that you probably want to consider charts on a region-by-region basis; preferred charts for one area may differ from another (or may not even be available). E.g. Explorer charts for the Bahamas, or Antares charts for Scotland.

Navionics, like other providers, uses data pulled from hydrographic offices which they may augment or modify. One criticism I've read is that they tend to do more interpolation which can lead to inaccuracies (e.g. in calculated depth contours or in their sonarchart presentation).

If you stick to government charts I expect this would be less of an issue, but in remote places (and even some not-so-remote) the survey data may still be quite old or contain inaccuracies. Pairing your charts with satellite imagery is a good way to detect chart errors as it bypasses much of that opportunity for error.

My guess is that iSailor might be the most affordable way to get what's effectively commercial charts (i.e. it uses the Transas charts) but that also dictates what software you use. I don't know if you can similarly get a portfolio for a plotter. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:09   #7

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

s/v Ocelot Cruising the World
S/V Soggy Paws - St. Francis 44 - Circumnavigate with Dave and Sherry McCampbell
Welcome Aboard
Maxing Out - Three Generations - One Boat - One Giant Adventure

Just a few sailors who solved this problems for themselves. All charts are outdated, just like covid19-tests. Some more some less, even the official charts, a container port, more than 10 years in use, plus land grabbing, never showed up, abandoned piers building sites etc. Well you are right, if WE sailors carry outdated ones in case of an accident we are guilty.

For me I use jeppensen and navionics on Android, cmap in my plotter and openCPN on Android and bord-pc. Not the same pictures to see. Wherever I plan to sail I download georeferenced satellite pictures. They are really helpful and worth every minute you spend downloading them. Paper charts you might print yourself, I purchased them from Bellingham printers. Page is not accessible from EU, pls check yourself
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 15:11   #8

Following
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 17:32   #9

Boat: Sundeer 64
Send a message via Yahoo to Atraxia

I did a circumnavigation using Navionics and Jeppesen on a Furuno MaxSea system with no problems at all.
I use Navionics on a regular basis on my plotter around the world with very few indiscrepancies between chart and reality.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 04:35   #10

Boat: Beneteau

We had our fleet of tugs equipped with MaxSea and had few issues with that. All systems have questions surrounding them but seem to be improving incrementally. Even paper can have large discrepancies in given areas.

Funnily enough here in Newfoundland the preferred charts on parts of the Northern Peninsula were made by the French in the 16 and 1700's. They are available at the University mapping centre in St. John's and are probably only sought out by a few crazy sailors.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 05:19   #11
Deep Water Deliveries

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Worldwide circumnaviation - which charts(vendors) are best?

I have been using CM93 charts for over a decade in the S Pacific, N Atlantic, Marmara and the Med.. served me well and to date have provided all the info I needed.

Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 01:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Well yes I do have the CM93 of 2009? with OpenCPN on linux too but actually my guess was that someone can lead me out of the "inacurate charts" mess by giving a lead how to deal with it and where to choose which charts to be on the best possible side.

Yes google earth and always keep your eyes open - of course but...
Old 21-05-2021, 02:05   #13

Boat: Westerly 43

Isn't the best approach to take a couple of different chart types with you so you can cross-reference and determine which one works best in each region you visit? Definitely take OpenCPN/CM93 as it's "free" and maybe Navionics and iSailor. Throw in some paper charts as well. If you're in somewhere like Vanuatu you'll find most, if not all, charts are inaccurate so you should be using Google Earth as well.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 05:40   #14

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41

What are you all talking about with "compliance"??

Some govt authority checking your charts?

Learn me.
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 07:28   #15

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

We circumnavigated with Navionics charts and found them more than adequate. In some places, eg. southern islands in Indonesia, they lack detail but I think that is because their source materials also are inadequate. We used cruising guides and reports from previous cruisers - SSCA being one good one. Buying paper charts would be enormously expensive. Not aware of a 'second hand store' for charts. You also can't trade with other cruisers since everyone is going in the same general direction.

Tags
charts