Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 13:39   #46

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Why learning to sail is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
In the end we all learn by doing. For most tasks I can usually read a book and then apply that introduction to learning the actual skill.
But that's just me everyone is different.

I do think "It's OK to be scared, but it's not OK to act scared" is a good rule for survival. Recognize the perils of your situation and plan how to change that situation.
as an example if you don't like it when the boat heals over do you scream or do you ease the sheet?
There is a line from the movie “Dune” iirc it is “ Fear is the mind killer” like you said being afraid is natural, clarity of mind allows one to do something about it, hopefully that something is to better ones situation. Having a general overall knowledge base gives one points of reference, actually being at the point of exercising a choice based on previous reference points is the test we all take at some point or another, it can be as simple as easing a sheet, or reefing before it becomes an issue. So yes learning, in this case, to sail, is important. But the learning never stops,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 22:43   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Why learning to sail is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Hello from Toronto, Bugzy!

Your response was thoughtful.

I can tell you a couple of things from my training (RYA Yachtmaster Offshore) - part of one of the levels is an exercise where you're required to sail the boat using sails alone (rudder lashed in the middle), so you know how to direct her using the sails in the event you've lost steering (they also teach you how to attach the emergency tiller). It is also a potential emergency scenario the Examiners can use as a fake-"emergency" during the three-day exam.

As far as finding land with no electrics, there's a nav technique called sun-run-sun or just a running fix based on your compass course and how many miles covered in a day where you can plot your estimated position.

Finally, there are a number of ways of signalling distress with flags and the like - as for me I always keep a handheld VHF separate and with fresh batteries in my ditch bag in the event of untoward scenarios like that. Once when I was teaching a Coastal Skipper course, we ran aground at Lymington and a passing boat called out did we need a tow? So never underestimate the good samaritans among us sailors!

But, as regards that guy and his situation, I suppose he just didn't know what he didn't know.

Anyway, there are a lot of options out there.

LittleWing77

The RYA yacht master practical exam does not include and never has, sailing with a locked rudder

Not have I ever seen a request to use an emergency rudder. The examiner will often ask the candidate to identify where the emergency rudder is and ask about why it might be used etc.

As it’s an overnight exam , ( it’s not three days that’s for sure ) one day and a night ( so as to the lights and other night exercises) the examiner also uses the 1-2 day process to see you are feeding your crew properly ( meals prepared to suit the circumstances. )

RYA examinations for not include any actions of an emergency nature , the examination may seek to put you into theoretical situations , like the famous “ blind navigation “ test but at no time is the boat “ actually “ placed in any emergency mode ( like locking a rudder ) , turning off the engine , of course is not regarded as an emergency on a sailing boat !! so you ate typically asked to perform common activities under sail alone

The RYA exam while it probes your knowledge of ways to handle the boat on bad weather , does not seek to examine your actual practical knowledge of either heavy weather sailing or survival conditions

Given your mis information , i suspect you actually haven’t taken the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore exam
Old 21-11-2020, 23:23   #48
Nearly an old salt

By the way , there is no official RYA yacht master offshoretraining “ ( nor do you need any to do the exam , what you do have to show is you have actual sailing experience )
Old 21-11-2020, 23:28   #49
Nearly an old salt

My own view is learning to sail , ie by formal methods isn’t important ( though useful )

Learning to sail by “ doing “ ie experience is the most valuable , everyone learns from experience only some learn well from formal processes

And I’d would never second guess why someone presses the emergency button , you weren’t there that’s the key point.
Old 22-11-2020, 00:47   #50

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The original motivation for Lawrence Durning Holt to start the Outward Bound program in 1941 was to teach people this kind of tenacity.

Studies of survival at sea conducted in the early 20th century had identified an unwillingness to give up in the face of physical discomfort, difficulty, and hazard as highly correlated with survival.

I don't agree with this, nor do I agree with similar statements that judgment can't be taught except through experience. People can learn through case studies, for example, and planning exercises, particularly with mentorship from others. It takes a good teacher.
You make some good comments and I am a big believer in case studies. I review them constantly not just in sailing, but in aviation, combat arms, self defense, etc. They are a great way to learn.

I think that few if any courses can teach common sense though we may just be differing on semantics. Regardless, case studies are a great way to train, in particular for recognizing different scenarios and potential preventative and corrective actions.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 01:35   #51
Nearly an old salt

You can’t teach a practical subject through books or “ book learning “ no more then you can teach joinery from a power point presentation

You can use formal learning to help with your experience gathering and to refine that experience but it’s no substitute for lack of actually doing it.

Case studies are largely useless unless you have the experience to deconstruct them and work out what works for u and your boat etc.

Tags
import, learning, sail