Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 09:57   #1

Which Plotter to Use at Nav Station with C-120 at Helm?

Hi,

I'm looking at a boat that has a C-120 at the helm, though I'd like to add a second multi-function display at the nav station as well. My understanding is that the C-120 cannot be networked via SeaTalk (have to move into the newer C or E series).

What would be the best approach so that I can have a second unit at the nav station for planning and use during inclement outside weather? Ideally, I'd like the second unit at the nav sataion to have the ability to operate independatly of the the C-120 at the helm.

Of course I'm looking for the most cost effective solution That being said, I'd rather keep the C-120 then sell it and upgrade into a new series (nothing wrong with the classic C series afterall!).

An alternative to a second chartplotter (assuming the nav location can't operate indepednatly of a C-120) might be to use an LCD TV/monitor with a Raymarine remote hooked into the 120 at the helm...?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 10:03   #2

Quick follow up... Not to derail my original post, but I'd like to hear some suggestions as an overall approach to chartplotters (including the existing C-120 on this boat). The main question is if the C-120 is enough by itself of would you suggest PC based nav software in addition? Initially, I'll just be cruising the Caribbean, but in time plan on making a transpac (not for few seasons).

Thanks!
Old 28-08-2009, 11:43   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
C-120 good enough.

It is nice to have a laptop with nav software so just put something like MaxSea, Deckman Nobeltec etc. and some charts. It is a nice back-up and nice to do all the planning at your desk with a glass of whatyoumightlike in your hand.

You can use Raymarine existing GPS to feed the coordinates to your laptop and you can send WPT to the C-120 too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 11:55   #4

Hey B,

Thanks for the feedback... sorry I'm a more of newbie with the big chartplotter, but just to be sure I understand you, I should keep the C-120 as is, plot on the laptop and I can feed info to AND from the C-120 to the laptop?

I'm a mac guy, and assume there's nothing great out there for OS X, so I'm expecting to use Windows XP on the mac via Parallels. Any mac users out there have experience with chart use?

Thanks
Old 28-08-2009, 12:48   #5

Boat: Endeavour 37
Have you thought of keeping the C-120 and using a portable Garmin 376/78 series at the nav station. These portables can be hard wired too. It will act both independantly of your primary and have the convenience of a nice portable plotter that doesn't take up much room. I use mine on the dingy quite frequently too. The new 478 series runs 1K but the older models can be had with a warranty for half that, or maybe less. JMHO.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 12:50   #6

Boat: Endeavour 37
My apologies cbcat I reread your question, and see you are looking for a multi-function unit. Of course, the portable are not.
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 14:47   #7

No sweat... thanks for the input. Never thought about using one for the dingy, but could come in handy!