Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 17:10   #1

Boat: Lucky Penny
Where to Buy BC Charts ?

I am having trouble finding a chart shop in the lower mainland BC where I can actually BUY a BC chart without having to wait for them to order it in!! Anyone know a store that actually stocks charts? Or has anyone got any they want to sell locally...?
tangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 20:49   #2

Re: Where to buy BC Charts?

Steveston Marine and WestMarine both carry paper charts in stock, although not a complete catalogue. I believe both also have digital charts available, probably not in stock. (I currently have several queries out regarding BC ENC vector charts; will update when I find out more.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 22:30   #3

Boat: Able 50

I use these guys. They deliver anywhere in the world.

It really is worthwhile to buy one of their chart bundles which can save you plenty.

Discounted Nautical Charts, Reproductions, Electronic Charts & Navigational Software | Bellingham Chart Printers
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 00:45   #4

Boat: looking

If the above-mentioned don't have them in stock, the store on W2nd Ave, off Lonsdale, in N. Van. - Martin Marine? - might. I used to buy mine from the marine store in West Van that is at Thunderbird Marine. They always had what I needed in stock.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:46   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I use these guys. They deliver anywhere in the world.

It really is worthwhile to buy one of their chart bundles which can save you plenty.

Discounted Nautical Charts, Reproductions, Electronic Charts & Navigational Software | Bellingham Chart Printers
That's a good outfit.

Another is:

==> Bluewater Books and Charts

Every time I have called them, I have talked to a knowledgeable person who help me decide what my best choices were.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Where to Buy BC Charts ?

Perhaps no one else noticed, but Bellingham Chart Printers does not have Canadian charts. You have to be licensed by the Canadian Gov't to sell Canadian charts, and if you are caught using un-official charts in Canadian waters you can (and will) be fined. CHS is the official agency for Canadian charts.

Bluewater Books and Charts, however, is licensed by CHS.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35   #7

Boat: 1974 islander 44
I gotta read up on Canadian laws. Been told they are slot different. Someone was telling me you are required to carry the most recent paper charts for whatever area you are in , and they have different requirements for licensing your radar VHF etc , than here in the us. Guess it's kinda foolish I don't know these things , since we are up in the Puget sound , and will be doing a lot more sailing the San juans..........I didn't know that , never seems to be an excuse
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:24   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You will need a station license for your VHF (US requirement for international travel), however there are electronic charts available for Canadian waters (Navionics for one and they are available from Bellingham chart printers). There are also chart packs available for some areas. There are also No requirements for radar license on a pleasure boat so far as I'm aware. I think if you travel to BC you will find entering Canada a pleasant experience. However, I wouldn't try to bring in a handgun or non-prescription drugs. Also check on liquor importation regulations. ;0)

I think this is all correct information. It was last I checked anyway.

Check here for more up to date info.
http://boating.ncf.ca/canadaborder.html

Never ask a customs agent, “Have you seen any terrorists lately?”
Old 03-07-2011, 11:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
If the above-mentioned don't have them in stock, the store on W2nd Ave, off Lonsdale, in N. Van. - Martin Marine? - might. I used to buy mine from the marine store in West Van that is at Thunderbird Marine. They always had what I needed in stock.
Martin Marine is correct, great place to stop in! I haven't been to the store at Thunderbird Marine; do you happen to have a name? Oh, nevermind, just found it - Thunderbird Marine Supplies.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
I gotta read up on Canadian laws...
Get a copy of Waggoner's; it usually includes a good section or two on the differing laws and regulations, great advice on clearing in either direction. Warning: do not try to clear back in to the USA at Roche Harbor on 4 July (been there, done that...)

Old 03-07-2011, 11:27   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You will need a station license for your VHF (US requirement for international travel), however there are electronic charts available for Canadian waters (Navionics for one and they are available from Bellingham chart printers). There are also chart packs available for some areas. There are also No requirements for radar license on a pleasure boat so far as I'm aware. I think if you travel to BC you will find entering Canada a pleasant experience. However, I wouldn't try to bring in a handgun or non-prescription drugs. Also check on liquor importation regulations. ;0)

I think this is all correct information. It was last I checked anyway.

Check here for more up to date info.
Pat's Boating in Canada: Entering Canada by boat

Never ask a customs agent, “Have you seen any terrorists lately?”
I believe they still require paper charts though, unless you have local knowledge. The chart packs are the way to go for the Gulf Islands and Desolation and so forth. They are the best deal.

As for a VHF license, you don't need one to have the radio, just to call out on it I believe. When I was boarded the Mountie told me that if I was in trouble and used it they wouldn't get upset. They would actually prefer you use it when you need help, licensed or not.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 14:01   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
They would actually prefer you use it when you need help, licensed or not.
That is correct, you can use an unlicensed radio in an emergency even if you are not qualified. However, I would think that any boat going up the inside passage would want to have a radio that could be legally operated in non-emergency situations.
Old 03-07-2011, 14:23   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That is correct, you can use an unlicensed radio in an emergency even if you are not qualified. However, I would think that any boat going up the inside passage would want to have a radio that could be legally operated in non-emergency situations.
Your probably right and I should get the license myself. I think it's just a matter of a writing a test, nothing too demanding.

Here's a synopsis I found with some of the details for those interested.

Pat's Boating in Canada: VHF Marine Radio

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 22:39   #14

One piece of advice re canadian or any other chart. Make sure the detail is large enough to see. Many charts are 40,000/1 or even 80,000/1. Important details like submerged rocks are hard to find. The BC coast is one of the most dangerous anywhere. Also get the tide chart that gives the current flows for the channels in the gulf islands. These channels are hair raising at full flood, whirlpools, high speed rips that few boats handle safely specially when other vessels such as BC ferries are there too.
gunboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 23:13   #15

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Thx dee fez. There was a lot of info on that link. Truly beautiful up here in the puget sound during the summer . But I can't wait to turn south at the end of next summer. Won't miss the long gray , wet moldy , winters
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts