Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 14:25   #1

When is Too Late to Leave Southern California

I'm heading down to Panama then Carib. What's the latest I can leave Southern California before hurricanes become an issue? I don't plan to be too leisurely, but wouldn't mind stopping every few days. Is it going to be a miserable trip early summer and should I just wait till fall?
Rigamorand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29   #2

No thoughts on this at all?
Rigamorand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: when is too late to leave Southern California

All I can Say is it's gettin LATE !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:07   #4

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Due to the hurricane/monsoon season along the Mexican coast, its my understanding based on info from more informed sources than myself, that you leave Cali in Mid-October. The infamous and much loved Baja HaHa usually departs from San Diego in late October....You might investigate joining up with that bunch to get you merrily down the coast a ways. Contact Latitude 38 for all the info and plenty of knowledgeable advice.....and have a blast...!
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:17   #5

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Bob & Connie are right....its a bit late. ( this is my second attempt to post a reply so if the other gets thru...please know I am not trying to be repetitive.)...Anyway.... Based on all the info I have from sources more knowledgeable than I, the best time to take off down the coast of Mexico is in the mid to late Fall. The infamous and much loved BaJa HaHa departs from San Diego around the end of October, thereby avoiding most of the hurricanes and monsoons otherwise encountered off the Mexican coast. You might contact Latitude 38 for information and advice on this matter. You should consider signing up with the 2012 HaHa for a merry and fun filled adventure down to La Paz and even beyond with some of those that go on down to the ditch from that bunch. You are sure to have a ball and get plenty of good sailing company and advice. Happy sails to you.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:21   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was looking at storm track histories last year when I came up from Panama to Hawaii. I left April 1 and arrived on April 30, and I could have left a month later. Some years the Pacific storms spin up earlier than the Atlantic, but I figure you would be OK if you were in Costa Rica by May 15
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:30   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Really it's gonna depend on how long it takes ya to get ready ! if a month, it's gettin real short cus the weather is VERY un predictable at that time of the year ! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:36   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Cornell's book says April - May or November.

Tags
california