Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 02:29   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: What really means "dangerous rocks?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Most of the Chilean lights I mentioned are 'off the grid' and most of the 'off the grid' ones are good old fashioned 'rotators' - the ones that you can see the loom of the light long before you see the actual light - rather than poncey little 'flashers' so common these days.

While the keepers don't have to trim the wick any more they do keep watches and monitor passing traffic.

So yes they are manned in the traditional manner.

Pic is Punta Delgado ... blue roofed building is the lighthouse keepers' accomodation, radio station, etc etc
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:43   #47

Nothing quite like seeing a lighthouse flash for the first time when nearing one's destination. Along the windward coasts of Hawaii one can see three separate lights: Maui, Molokai, and Oahu on a clear dark night when at sea off Maui's northern coast. Really does give comfort when sailing along those dark cliffs.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:27   #48

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
It means someone hit a rock and their boat sank and they think the rock was near there...
And when you manage to hit it after reading the chart, you can help narrow down the exact location of the rock(s). Read that GPS quickly before abandoning.
Or you can go around and not risk the belly of your boat.

Maybe some of them are visible at low tide... maybe not.

USS Enterprise conducting flight ops.
Senior Petty Officer in Combat Information center looks at chart and calls the bridge:
"Bishops rock ahead appx 50 miles." (I forgot the exact times and distances... so don't try to figure the speed from this)
Bridge acknowledges.
60 min later:
"Bishop's Rock appx 20 miles"
Bridge acknowledges
Appx 20 min later:
"recommend turn to avoid Bishop's Rock"
Appx 10 min more:
"Turn the ship to avoid undersea mountain"
Helmsman sees rock poking up and spins the wheel AWAY from the rock
They hit the other (hidden) peak...

I knew the guy that was calling the bridge telling them not to hit the rock...
They first tried to blame him, then the poor guy on the helm who tried to save the ship.

BTW... they did NOT continue ops... they managed to stabilize the ship and ran the USS Carl Vinson at "EXCEED PROPULSION PLANT LIMITS" to prepare to rescue survivors. They thought the Big E was going down.
I was on the Carl Vinson.

USS Enterprise (CVN 65)

and here they called the USS Ranger CVA-61 Ranger Danger. The enterprize is a joke ship. I know, we never docked any where near her.
As for any thing marked, Warning, Danger, Dangerous, Void Area, DO IT. I will save your boat and your life.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger