Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 20:42   #31

Re: What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippine

Yes, consider buying a boat in SE Asia. Good deals from desperate sellers. And you are already close to some of the best cruising grounds in the world. Some of the cheapest areas to live as well. You need less money - can retire sooner. Friendly, safe, no long ocean crossing from North America or Europe.

Most yachts are easy to reach by air. Flights are cheap compared to yacht ownership. Etc. Bought mine in Jahor Bahru, Malaysia (Singapore area).
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 08:39   #32

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippine

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Yes, consider buying a boat in SE Asia. Good deals from desperate sellers. And you are already close to some of the best cruising grounds in the world. Some of the cheapest areas to live as well. You need less money - can retire sooner. Friendly, safe, no long ocean crossing from North America or Europe.

Most yachts are easy to reach by air. Flights are cheap compared to yacht ownership. Etc. Bought mine in Jahor Bahru, Malaysia (Singapore area).
Did you find your boat advertised, or was it word of mouth in the marinas? So far, all I find are mostly on Yachtworld. Are there other websites I should keep a watch on? Though I'm on a limited budget, I would rather go with a small stout seaworthy boat that I could sail away with limited retrofitting or repairs.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 11:32   #33

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Here are a few of the major players in the area:

- Pippen Marine – Boats for sale Asia – Malaysia – Duty Free Island Langkawi
Pre-loved Yachts For Sale & Yacht Charters in Langkawi Island - Malaysi
Lee Marine

An advantage to buying in Langkawi is that it is duty-free. A lot of people who buy in Phuket take delivery in Langkawi to take advantage of this. If the boat needs a bit of work (show me one that doesn't!) you can get anything you need in Phuket these days and have a great time while you're doing it. You might check the Phuket Gazette Phuket Gazette - online English newspaper for Phuket, Thailand, with daily news, classified ads, yellow pages, business listings, upcoming events, event calendar, phuket events
or Google, but most boats for sale will be on Yachtworld.
If you plan a trip to the area you should be able to look at dozens of boats that interest you. A friend of a friend who was looking for a cat looked a 5 in one day on Langkawi.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 00:45   #34

Boat: Swan 56

Definitely consider looking in SE Asia for a boat. A two week trip visiting Phuket, Langkawi, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Philippines is going to be significantly less costly than sailing across the Pacific.....Unless sailing across the Pacific is one of your objectives.

Also be aware that in this part of the world, a significant proportion of boats are sold on yacht club notice boards and never see a broker or a website. Visit the bars, walk the docks, chat to the locals.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 01:36   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

All Great advice and I concur with a Nov departure from Hawaii via the Marshal and Micronesia groups as I have done this a few times.
Truk/Chuk Atoll does have some serious security problems, which I won’t get into now, but they are real! The other places are friendly and fantastic!

I would favor spending more time in Yap and Palau than Guam and enter via the better weather protected Hinatuan passage which is about 500nm from Palau.

Milkreed100’s advice is right on, quite a few boats on the market now in SE Asia. I bought my StarGazer in Phuket and took possession in Langkawi as was suggested.
Good luck in your search and once you have a starting point, lots of good advice on this Forum
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 03:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin

Did you find your boat advertised, or was it word of mouth in the marinas? So far, all I find are mostly on Yachtworld. Are there other websites I should keep a watch on? Though I'm on a limited budget, I would rather go with a small stout seaworthy boat that I could sail away with limited retrofitting or repairs.
Yes. Yachtworld. I was looking for only a SC50 so searching was somewhat easier. There were only about 30 made and there are aficionados who knew where they were. There are plenty proven boat's in all harbors - all prices and conditions. The Aussie broker was an idiot. But I managed with the transfer on my own.

Try to remember that almost all cruising yachts that are for sale are worn out in many ways. Not a big problem. But it can be a budget surprise when you actually move aboard.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:19   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
Definitely consider looking in SE Asia for a boat. A two week trip visiting Phuket, Langkawi, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Philippines is going to be significantly less costly than sailing across the Pacific.....Unless sailing across the Pacific is one of your objectives.

Also be aware that in this part of the world, a significant proportion of boats are sold on yacht club notice boards and never see a broker or a website. Visit the bars, walk the docks, chat to the locals.
I will actually have a chance to do this. Have already a planned SE Asia cruise via cruise ship. Instead of taking the excursions, I'll be heading to the marinas and nearby hangouts.

My gut radar tells me the real transactions will be in Lankawi because of its duty free environment but the boat could come from any marina from Thailand to Hong Kong. It will be a USCG registered boat.

I guess I'll have to have some beer. What could be wrong with that?

Great advice.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:29   #38

Quote:

This has so far the advise that may fit with some plans in the works (family related) My mother is in her seventies and I haven't seen her in 4 years - 5 by next years. She's wanting to do a SE Asian cruise and I'll just have to pass on the excursions and visit as many marinas and bars. Have a list of emails and ph numbers.

The best part is I get to have some beers
Old 18-10-2012, 16:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
My gut radar tells me the real transactions will be in Lankawi because of its duty free environment but the boat could come from any marina from Thailand to Hong Kong. It will be a USCG registered boat.
FYI Hong Kong is also duty free as far as boats are concerned.

Why USCG registered? Unlikely to find many of those in Asia. Easiest registration here is the Langkawi Yacht Registry. Cheap, easy and no need for residency.
Old 18-10-2012, 17:32   #40

Bought my boat in Johor Bahru, Malasia. Not a duty free port. USCG docs. Malaysia was not interested in the transaction. Port Captain checked in on the old docs and out on the new. The biggest hassle is the required doc notarization at the US embassy.
Old 18-10-2012, 18:15   #41

If I don't register it as a USCG vessel after the transaction, I am concerned about having the boat have importation tax implications since I have dual citizenship (US and Philippines). I am aware of several US registered vessels in the Philippines easily get their permits to legally stay long term in the Philippines. Philippine importation taxes for boats are insanely high.

Am I being too paranoid?
Old 18-10-2012, 21:28   #42

My boat is based in the Philippines (I live in Hong Kong). I come and go quite freely between Hong Kong and the Philippines and Malaysia and the Philippines and have been doing so for a few years now without any problems at all.

It has never even occurred to me that I should import the boat as a commodity to the Philippines.

I can't offer any knowledgible direction on the legalities of importing vs long stay arrangements for foreign registered vessels (USCG or otherwise), but my experience is that many are keeping foreign registered boats in the Philippines long term without any problems when it comes to leaving again.

I think the max stay is officially 1 year for foreign registered boats. How the Authorities think they can actually enforce this, or even know how long the boat has been in the Philippines, given their own procedure variation from location to location is beyond me. I'd wager that they can't.

But you've got me thinking now...... Maybe post the question here or with the "Philippines Group" here on the forum?
Old 18-10-2012, 21:53   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post

Am I being too paranoid?
When it comes to the Philippines and rules you are not being too paranoid.

My (30 year) experience with the Philippines is they have rules, almost never enforce them, the government changes and then they do.

Or you cross someone, connected to someone, connected to someone and they use the "rules" to give you hell.

Don't get me wrong - I love Filipino's until you get cross-ways with them.

Quote:
My boat is based in the Philippines (I live in Hong Kong). I come and go quite freely between Hong Kong and the Philippines and Malaysia and the Philippines and have been doing so for a few years now without any problems at all.

It has never even occurred to me that I should import the boat as a commodity to the Philippines.

<snip>

But you've got me thinking now...... Maybe post the question here or with the "Philippines Group" here on the forum?
And you may go 20 years not needing to worry about it...

My (cynical) guess is that if someone figured out there were "thousands" of non-imported boats and there was a lot of money to be made, it would get someone's attention.

In the meantime I think they are all still busy trying to find Yamashita's and Marcos' gold...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 03:09   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Like many countries old laws are sometimes left on the books but never enforced.
Also, with yachts, the wealthy and powerful Filipinos with expensive foreign registered yacht like it that way.
In Subic Bay, a private foreign registered yacht can get an annual “pleasure craft license and sticker for about Php10k that states that this vessel is duty paid and free to cruise anywhere in the Philippines…..Simple and effective
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 15:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Like many countries old laws are sometimes left on the books but never enforced.
Also, with yachts, the wealthy and powerful Filipinos with expensive foreign registered yacht like it that way.
In Subic Bay, a private foreign registered yacht can get an annual “pleasure craft license and sticker for about Php10k that states that this vessel is duty paid and free to cruise anywhere in the Philippines…..Simple and effective
This was my rationale of opting to have the boat I purchase USCG registered, and have the pleasure craft license permit. To be clear, the option to have it USCG registered is only available to boats owned by US Citizens. I have even noticed in some posts, though could not verify for a fact, that multi-year permits are also available.

Tags
hawaii, Philippines, sail