Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 19:40   #16

Boat: Com-pac 25
Re: What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippine

As for myself, I do not have a tight schedule. Just a destination. This will be the beginning of a new chapter of my life, at 55. The route may depend more on considerations with the crew's time constraints, boat, weather, health & safety, and Mrs. zUrchin, etc.
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 20:26   #17

Re: What months are the best months/weather windows to sail from Hawaii to Philippine

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
which ever way you choose to go it is a great trip,stopping in kiribati and the marshalls are a must!

a full keel for this is a must.
Will definitely consider your input for kiribati and the marshalls atoll! No fin keels for me either. Learned my lesson the hard way on that one already.
Old 23-09-2012, 04:37   #18

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and looked it every boat for sale, there. The problem with buying a boat in Hawaii is there are so few boats there. You are better off getting one on the Coast & sailing to Hawaii. I have sailed there 4 times, best time was 20 days in a Cal25. it is a very easy crossing. Another problem is finding a cheap place to live aboard in Hawaii. Do you have a copy of Jimmy Cornell's book "World Cruising Routes"? Great information. I carried two books on my circumnavigation, WCR and one called "Distances between Ports" it is a Government publication. It has the Lat.&long. of almost every port in the world.
The most important piece of equipment on my boat was a Monitor wind vane, more reliable then an autopilot
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
I lived in Hawaii for 5 years and looked it every boat for sale, there. The problem with buying a boat in Hawaii is there are so few boats there. You are better off getting one on the Coast & sailing to Hawaii. I have sailed there 4 times, best time was 20 days in a Cal25. it is a very easy crossing. Another problem is finding a cheap place to live aboard in Hawaii. Do you have a copy of Jimmy Cornell's book "World Cruising Routes"? Great information. I carried two books on my circumnavigation, WCR and one called "Distances between Ports" it is a Government publication. It has the Lat.&long. of almost every port in the world.
The most important piece of equipment on my boat was a Monitor wind vane, more reliable then an autopilot
At this point I'm not too concerned with the live aboard limitations in Hawaii. As mentioned in an earlier post, I have family relatives in Kaui whom I can live with temporarily as long as I can find a safe place to moor or slip her while in Kaui/Hawaii. I have also considered starting from the US West Coast (LA, San Diego), as a Plan B (either way it will also mean a stop in Hawaii).

In broader terms, and to illustrate my flexibility, Plan C includes alternatives such as purchasing a boat already in SE Asia. The trigger will be the boat purchase. From that point, my route options will be based on my point of origin.

Used Hawaii as a starting reference point but already considered the possibility of having to expand my boat search to include the US West Coast due to point you've raised with the boat values and size of the used boat market. When buying, having more choices is a good thing and therefore a lot will depend on where the right boat for me will be.

Concur on the monitor windvane. All my research indicate it will be essential.

Will be ordering Cornell's books as suggested.

Taking this all in. The CF community is amazing! Thank you!

zUrchin
Old 23-09-2012, 16:50   #20

Boat: Able 50

There are quite a few cheap ex charter boats for sale in Malaysia and Thailand.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a slip in Kauai or Oahu unless you are OK with the price an isolation of Ko Olina or can handle the sleaze of Keehi. Good slips are VERY scarce in Hawaii.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 01:58   #21

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

Sleaze? sleaze? It is not sleaze, it's attitude.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 02:53   #22

I don't think crossing the equator is necessary. Micronesia has enough to make it an interesting trip. Should not be hard to find favorable conditions all the way.

Fin keel vs. full keel? WTF? Take your pick. I am having a blast with a fin keel, not enough chain, the wrong anchor, undercharged batteries, etc.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 03:05   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I don't think crossing the equator is necessary. Micronesia has enough to make it an interesting trip. Should not be hard to find favorable conditions all the way.

Fin keel vs. full keel? WTF? Take your pick. I am having a blast with a fin keel, not enough chain, the wrong anchor, undercharged batteries, etc.
the reference to having a full keel was so a pair of yacht legs could be fitted,allowing the vessel to dry out upright in the many creeks in the phils,where the tides are large enough to do this.

with a fin keeler this is more difficult
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 16:36   #24

Yup, this used to be fairly common sight when I was a kid growing up in the Philippines, a time when locally built wooden mono hulled sailboats were used to inexpensively haul cargo between the islands. Today, steel has become cheaper than good lumber due to better forest conservation enforcement and awareness. Sadly it had to take a massive landslide about a decade ago which wiped out an entire town (thousands of lives) to finally get people to act. With a full keel it's much easier to check your bottom and even do basic hull maintenance. You just need to know the tides.

I also am wary of what the depths the charts tell you because illegal logging has caused so much run off creating even more shallow coastal waters than what the charts may indicate.

Personal experience: I had an Ericson 27 years back and it ran aground. This caused a slow leak build up in the bilge. When we took the boat out of the water to inspect, we found the heel of the fin keel (i hope this makes sense to you guys), had a serious defect. The small crack revealed that someone during the building process stuffed some old socks in a critical spot that should have been fully protected and reinforced. We called it the Achilles keel defect. Must have been a very pissed of employee at the factory.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30   #25

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Transatlantic Crossing and a Transpacific crossing? The differences would relate to weather patterns, currents and wind strength. Thanks.
AHarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49   #26

Boat: Able 50

Yup, all of those. Different oceans too.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHarding View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Transatlantic Crossing and a Transpacific crossing? The differences would relate to weather patterns, currents and wind strength. Thanks.
it most traditional transpacific crossings originate from panama and are trans equitorial,which envolves going from northen hemisphere spring to southern hemisphere autum/winter which also coincides with the cyclone free period.

a crossing of the north pacific,and north atlantic,is also different,as in the north atlantic,you only have one period of hurricanes(june till nov)

where as the tropical n pacific you also have the ne monsoon and sw monsoon,which gives two periods of hurricane activity(thypoons)may-dec and june -august-sept( southwesterly gales) making many anchorages unsafe
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 14:11   #28

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin View Post
In broader terms, and to illustrate my flexibility, Plan C includes alternatives such as purchasing a boat already in SE Asia. The trigger will be the boat purchase. From that point, my route options will be based on my point of origin.
There are a lot of boats for sale in SEA now, particulary in Phuket/Langkawi, as many folks who might have continued on through the Red Sea in years past are now selling their boats after cruising Thailand.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
There are a lot of boats for sale in SEA now, particulary in Phuket/Langkawi, as many folks who might have continued on through the Red Sea in years past are now selling their boats after cruising Thailand.
I've noticed that by checking yachtworld regularly. It would be ideal to purchase a boat already within SE Asia. Right now, I am just hanging literally by my fingernails, mentally exhausted from life in Corporate America. As of today, I am exactly 200 days from my retirement date! It's a big financial hit retiring at 55, but with my whole outlook in life focusing on what really matters, I know it's the right decision. One day at at time.
Old 11-10-2012, 17:04   #30

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Z,

Well done! I am the same age and like you have swapped a good income and security for the opportunity to spend the best remaining years of my life xxxxing off in interesting places.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, Philippines, sail