Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, what I would take:

1. $300 Inreach SE tracker and satellite communicator

People can see your position and track, plus communicate with you in 2-way text message conversation. Lithium powered and uses Iridium satellites for worldwide coverage.

2. $250 Simrad HH36 VHF+DSC+GPS

Waterproof, floating, lithium powered VHF with DSC and GPS for short range communication plus navigation.

3. $250 McMurdo FastFind 220 GPS PLB

Distress beacon that works anywhere (except north/south poles) and is the smallest and lightest. Lithium battery operates for 24 hours as 406MHz Cospas Sarsat beacon + 121.5MHz homing beacon.

4. $200 Plastimo Iris 100 compass

This is both a hand bearing and a mounted steering compass.

5. $320 Lithium battery pack
Like this 120W one from Goal Zero:

6. $230 Solar panel for charging the Lithium pack
Like this 30W briefcase model from Goal Zero:

This puts the total investment on $1,550.- The Delorme SE requires a service plan which would be $25 a month for the kind of usage expected (distress function, unlimited tracking, 40 msgs per month plus $0.50 per extra message)
(I would use the $10/month safety plan because I don't message much).
This looks like a pretty decent array. But I would locate some KISS equipment for backups. Like a garmin 72 for lat/Lon that is plotted at least once a day onto paper chart. This will give you something to do and let you visualize your progress, thereby avoiding at least one hallucination- that you are not moving.

Also a separate waterproof VHF might be prudent.

The mcmurno is a PLB. For this crossing you really should spring for a full EPIRB.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:06   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Let me give you a link to Human Edge Tech. This is a group that specialized exclusively in Nav/comms tech for exactly your sort of expedition. They will sell or rent most of the gear. They know exactly what works and what does not. They have outfitted a lot of the rowing and polar skiing/sled expeditions.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:07   #63

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Here is a place to start, look up and see how Webb Chiles and many others made long trips Drascombe boats.

Drascombe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12   #64

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

High tech navigation gear to be used in a low tech dinghy! This reminds of some places in the middle east...where people get around riding donkeys, and talking on a cell phone at the same time! Whatever works! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15   #65
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
This looks like a pretty decent array. But I would locate some KISS equipment for backups. Like a garmin 72 for lat/Lon that is plotted at least once a day onto paper chart. This will give you something to do and let you visualize your progress, thereby avoiding at least one hallucination- that you are not moving.

Also a separate waterproof VHF might be prudent.

The mcmurno is a PLB. For this crossing you really should spring for a full EPIRB.
How many GPS's to take? The Inreach SE has a GPS; the Simrad 36 has a GPS and both can be used to get the current position. The McMurdo PLB also has GPS but you can't use it without sending out a distress signal.

So no, I would not bring yet another GPS like the Garmin 72. Enough GPS'es. But yes a map for yourself is always cool.

I would also not bring two VHF radios. The Simrad HH36 is a fully waterproof handheld VHF.

The difference between this PLB and a full EPIRB is that the EPIRB has 24h extra transmit. But he can't wear it. Also, the PLB is a backup because the Delorme SE also has a distress button and is 2-way so it will be the primary method when it works (you want to know they got you covered, status updates etc.)

If you really want 48h EPIRB instead of 24h, then McMurdo has a bigger PLB that can do that. It is the FastFind MaxG which makes it equivalent to a full EPIRB except for the floating upright and strobe. I would opt for the small one, but here's the bigger version:

It is also double the price, $500.-

This also made me realize that I forgot the personal strobe which will fit inside the auto-inflatable lifevests ($20.- only):
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16   #66

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I would pop a handfull of AA batteries in a ziplock bag, and use a Garmin GPSmap76CSX or similar. Only turn it on every few hours to check your location. No biggie.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45   #67
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

get all of that plus spot tracker. we want to know where ye are........oh yes--and water pruf containers for the equipment.

ye prolly wont die, but ye will have a terrific adventure no matter what happens ....make sure there are no bad weather patterns heading your way and go for it--oh yes--dont forget food and water.....and stuff.

and a mirror.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:03   #68
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
get all of that plus spot tracker. we want to know where ye are........oh yes--and water pruf containers for the equipment.

ye prolly wont die, but ye will have a terrific adventure no matter what happens ....make sure there are no bad weather patterns heading your way and go for it--oh yes--dont forget food and water.....and stuff.

and a mirror.
Yes, conversation always seems better when you look at who you're talking to.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25   #69
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mirror is a safety device for when you are too dehydrated and someone flying overhead sees you and drops a coca cola bottle on your head.

looking into the mirror would scare the strongest of ye....rodlmao
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:40   #70

Just out of curiosity - what are the plans for food and water? One of the limitations of small boat sailing, no matter how seaworthy the boat and skipper are is storage. You don't want to weigh the boat down so much that it looses its seaworthiness. Before I got too far in planning, I would know exactly how much the boat can safely carry; water, food, tools, spare parts, etc. That would tell the "what I need" part of equation, only then would I start to thing about the "how".
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:01   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
How many GPS's to take? The Inreach SE has a GPS; the Simrad 36 has a GPS and both can be used to get the current position. The McMurdo PLB also has GPS but you can't use it without sending out a distress signal.

So no, I would not bring yet another GPS like the Garmin 72. Enough GPS'es. But yes a map for yourself is always cool.

I would also not bring two VHF radios. The Simrad HH36 is a fully waterproof handheld VHF.
Yup, you're right on the GPS. Three is definitely overkill, even for me... I'm just partial to the Garmin 7* series as they are built like brick outhouses. But push comes to shove, head west till ya hit land...

The spare VHF is the one you place in the bailout bag, the other one is on the deck.

Comes down to personal philosophy and how much room is has left for food, water and the two stoves.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:41   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
So, what I would take:

1. $300 Inreach SE tracker and satellite communicator

People can see your position and track, plus communicate with you in 2-way text message conversation. Lithium powered and uses Iridium satellites for worldwide coverage.
Although a bit of a techno-luddite , gotta say that is some cool sh#t .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 14:41   #73

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Space for food and water?...how about fresh fish daily caught while sailing, of course...not to mention an occasional drop-in seagull, pelican or a cormorant! Yum! Life's good! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 15:12   #74

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Space for food and water?...how about fresh fish daily caught while sailing, of course...not to mention an occasional drop-in seagull, pelican or a cormorant! Yum! Life's good! Mauritz
and when he gets closer to Iceland, puffin becomes the bird of choice. I hear it tastes like chicken!
Old 12-05-2013, 15:22   #75

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
and when he gets closer to Iceland, puffin becomes the bird of choice. I hear it tastes like chicken!
Sort of a fishy-chicken flavor. If smoke cured, it is more like duck. Smoke cured with pepper, it reminds me of pastrami.

Tags
dinghy, navigation