Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 19:07   #106

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: what is the best navigation system to install on a 16ft dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
Strongly agree ...you need to get the cockpit space down to you with several air tight compartments with you 3 or 4 inches off the hull so you can stay dry. Hypothermia is a constant problem water pulls heat away like 2500 time more that air. You need to talk with mountaineering organizations for gear information on warm clothes, sleeping bags, food prep, etc. You are camping as much sailing. You will also need lots of calories and fat to stay warm. Laminate solar panels on the cabin tops you will build. Use carbon fiber and make strong light panels, install two small batteries.

Taking the mast down when the weather is bad...I don't think so..getting a drone over board and getting the sails down and the storm cover on will be the max you can do. You will be stiff from not moving. I would have roller furling jib and main so you can furl and adjust the amount of sail often. The cover should never be completely removed. It should be simple to put I place. Before you go, sleep several nights in the boat and start eating only the food you will take. You need to be accustom to as much as you can. The trip will stretch you far enough. This sounds fun, I have some winter camping experience, 30-45f is the worst temp to stay warm in...no ice just water. Let us know your decisions...some boat pics and a equipment list would be very interesting. This may have been suggested, but research how Shackleton outfitted his little boats.
Agree with Greggegner. Having spent several isolated winters in -40 C weather, I can tell you equipment and clothes selection is critically important to survival. and yes. You will eat pure fat and chocolate and fluids also non-stop in such temps to maintain body temps and energy. The cold air dehydrates the lungs quicker than temperate temps. And can scorch ( freeze ) the linings if inhaled too quickly. This means you are not able to breathe as deeply and readily as you would in 25C weather because you will need to preheat the air through face shields first. Thus the body moves slower and thinking can get fogged. Take a winter camping trip to Greenland or North Norway to get the exposure those types of conditions and see how you cope as such there before finding out in middle of sea. Preparation and trial runs are essential to such a expedition.
Old 13-05-2013, 19:58   #107

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would hope the OP would think of a different challenge to undertake, one that might have more meaning with its success. We know this trip is POSSIBLE already, and we also know there is a very good chance of not surviving (at least without risking the lives of others to come save you in bad weather).

So I submit the first difficult challenge is to find another alternative difficult challenge, of which I have no suggestion.
Old 13-05-2013, 21:51   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
If we all agree that you will get wracked with bad weather, I can now ask the question I had a few days ago. Is this the right boat? It has no bulkheads and a huge open cockpit. If you study the good micro-cruisers they can be pooped and not sink.

The boat you have selected has the open water integrity of a decked canoe. Suggestion- consider adding a bulkhead and making the forward area water tight. Also decrease the size of the cockpit to no more than 3-4 feet.

When you are done with these mods, are you better off with a different boat?
The answer is a definate no. I understand your worries and sentiments regarding the wayfarers limitations, but if Frank Dye managed to do it back in 1963 on a mk1 wayfarer and then to Norway a year later in the same boat and it didnt sink. The self bailers worked fine, though they did get furred up now and again with food and matchsticks. He also used a bildge pump and the mark 1 trusted bucket for close encounters with dumping waves.
If he could do it back in 63 wearing old style offshore gear and woolen jumpers, reefing the sail around the boom and taking out battens, then I can manage in a more modern version.
The whole point is that its a wayfarer and not anything else, otherwise I might as well charter a 46ft bavaria instead, but then where would the challenge be? If it becomes too safe, then the buzz, the adrenaline vanishes and then I would probably not want to bother. If you still got a problem with the boat , read the book his wife wrote. Its all there. The sailing techniques, the equipment, the weather, the victualling, the navigation and yes its always a good idea to shed weight and discard on what is needed inthe almanac, copy and laminate pilot books, study the ins and outs, basic common sense really. Not rocket science!
celtic sea dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 22:12   #109

[QUOTE=nimblemotors;1234825]I would hope the OP would think of a different challenge to undertake, one that might have more meaning with its success. We know this trip is POSSIBLE already, and we also know there is a very good chance of not surviving (at least without risking the lives of others to come save you in bad weather).

So I submit the first difficult challenge is to find another alternative difficult challenge, of which I have you

I think your probably thinking of a pedelo on a boating lake in a force 1 with prawn sandwiches and a nice bottle of beaugelais 54. That would be awesome not!
I havent asked anyone to undertake it with me, nor would I expect anyone to come and rescue me either.
Folks have done Everest and K2, but thousands still climb them. Folks have circum navigated the globe more times than you or I could count, but people still do it, why?
Because they want to, because they can!
Why do you sail, why do get up in the morning? Because you can.
You got more chance of being blown away by some crib in LA than I have of copping it at sea. Im more likely to get messed up in a car accident than perish at sea. You should drive the motorways here and you would know what I mean.
Thanks for the concern, but I need the thrill, the fear and the adrenaline and the beauty. Ill do all the safe stuff when I live in california one day!
Old 13-05-2013, 22:21   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Agree with Greggegner. Having spent several isolated winters in -40 C weather, I can tell you equipment and clothes selection is critically important to survival. and yes. You will eat pure fat and chocolate and fluids also non-stop in such temps to maintain body temps and energy. The cold air dehydrates the lungs quicker than temperate temps. And can scorch ( freeze ) the linings if inhaled too quickly. This means you are not able to breathe as deeply and readily as you would in 25C weather because you will need to preheat the air through face shields first. Thus the body moves slower and thinking can get fogged. Take a winter camping trip to Greenland or North Norway to get the exposure those types of conditions and see how you cope as such there before finding out in middle of sea. Preparation and trial runs are essential to such a expedition.
Couldnt agree more in terms of victualling the right foods and clothing. Am aware of these dangers absolutely.
No mcdonalds where im going!
Old 13-05-2013, 23:16   #111

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So, no VHF for you? That puts you in an old minority, even on CF. For the rest it doesn't matter much what brand of GPS one has, you have it too and that is just as much technocrap as the next GPS.

Don't come with this silly no-tech crap to me, I was navigating crossings far beyond land with paper charts, clock and compass alone when y'all were still crying in mommies lap
Really? how do you navigate with a bloody vhf?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 02:26   #112
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Coastguard can get a fix / bearing off your signal.

and can simply use the VHF to "confirm" your position with any passing vessels. Plus of course when you start picking up chatter from shore a good indication that you are getting close.

Of course none of that as conveniant as a GPS.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 02:33   #113
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
I think your probably thinking of a pedelo on a boating lake in a force 1 with prawn sandwiches and a nice bottle of beaugelais 54. That would be awesome not!
Pedelos have previously been covered in a thread on CF , and IIRC someone crossed the Pacific on one a few years back. Admittedly somewhat larger than the usual lake version!
Old 14-05-2013, 03:18   #114
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic sea dog View Post
I might as well charter a 46ft bavaria instead, but then where would the challenge be? If it becomes too safe, then the buzz, the adrenaline vanishes and then I would probably not want to bother. If you still got a problem with the boat , read the book his wife wrote. Its all there. ......Not rocket science!
Yikes, I went from being thanked to being flamed!! Don't "have a problem" with anything. gave an honest opinion based on some fairly extensive personal experience to someone who is short on experience and is taking an open boat outside its design envelope, to an environment where there is no backup.

Books and classes are nice, but it takes a lot of sea time to develop instinctive reactions. Often it is only that instinctive reaction that saves a boat outside its design envelope.

Best of luck in your endeavor
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 03:24   #115
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Read my list again, or read about the Simrad HH36 VHF somewhere. Or check out some of it's display screens that I posted right here in the thread. Full plotting GPS navigation with this handheld VHF. Times change, don't they? My iPhone can do the same but it isn't waterproof.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:23   #116
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Yikes, I went from being thanked to being flamed!!
Lol! - that'll be the internet for ya .

To be fair to OP, he does have a background in sailing dinghies, just not in a Wayfarer nor on long sea voyages.........of course, may have helped if OP had thrown in a bit more of that background at the getgo . But in any event, kinda refreshing that not turned up simply looking for validation of an idea and sounds also like he has the wit to be able to decide for self later whether going or not is a good idea.

For those unsure what 16 foot of Wayfarer Dinghy looks like:-

This is Frank Dye's obituary in the Telegraph:-

Frank Dye - Telegraph

Personally (and with all due respect to OP and Frank!) I think the adventures of Frank (and crew) are firmly on the mental end of mental .

..........and for many of the adventures was accompanied by his wife Margaret - should OP post a "Crew Wanted" advert for similar will likely be an interesting one .
Old 14-05-2013, 08:16   #117
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I use a Garmin GPSmap76 for sea kayaking. It's not only waterproof, it floats. And they make a good mount that will hold on to the unit during a roll. No need for a Pelican dry box, no need for a sextant.
Old 14-05-2013, 08:21   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Robert Manery crossed the atlantic in a 12 ft sailboat (built a cabin onto it) you can do this if you have the fortitude and a well found boat,so it should not be that difficult..Good luck to you and I hope you do it and have fun while doing it ..Cant never could and those that say cant ,well they just cant,but you can ...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:59   #119

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Read my list again, or read about the Simrad HH36 VHF somewhere. Or check out some of it's display screens that I posted right here in the thread. Full plotting GPS navigation with this handheld VHF. Times change, don't they? My iPhone can do the same but it isn't waterproof.
wow, do you ever look up from the catalogues long enough to actually get out sailing?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 18:08   #120
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
wow, do you ever look up from the catalogues long enough to actually get out sailing?
There are no catalogues where I am :thumbs: the only reason I could list this is because I'm buying most of it for a different reason but recognized the similarity. I always research before I spend any money.

So, how long have you been out cruising? Me, just over 10 years full time now, before that about 30 years when time allowed

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, navigation