Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2021, 05:14   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 8.5m
West Coast Florida to Bahamas - Help with route

Hi, I am fairly new to sailing. well I have sailed quite a bit really but always as crew, never calling the shots. But now I just bought my first boat (28 foot Morgan Out Island....she's 50 years old but with new sails and rigging and in good shape, 3.5" draught). Im in Tampa and would like to sail to Bahamas (I will not go alone, will find some crew, hopefully more experienced than me).

What is the best way to do this? I guess the two big questions are depart from the Keys or take the Okeechobee canal and depart from the Atlantic side. And then between those two options what would be the specifics? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
momo034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 05:37   #2

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter
Re: West Coast Florida to Bahamas - Help with route

There are many, many threads on this subject with far more detailed info than you could hope for, so I'll just put in a plug for going via the Keys. Since you're "fairly new to sailing" and new to your (older) boat, the Keys route offers you plenty of chances to sail while you become accustomed to each other, before introducing the challenges of an international trip across the Gulf Stream with COVID rules on top. The last time I went to the Keys (I live an hour north of Tampa), I broke a chainplate, stripped out the autopilot belt, and split a seam in the mainsail. I had a great time, but I was very grateful for the chance to pull into a US port and take advantage of the West Marine and a local sail shop before continuing. The Okeechobee is a fun trip and a good way to save some time, but it's motoring, not sailing.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 05:38   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo034 View Post
Hi, I am fairly new to sailing. well I have sailed quite a bit really but always as crew, never calling the shots. But now I just bought my first boat (28 foot Morgan Out Island....she's 50 years old but with new sails and rigging and in good shape, 3.5" draught). Im in Tampa and would like to sail to Bahamas (I will not go alone, will find some crew, hopefully more experienced than me).

What is the best way to do this? I guess the two big questions are depart from the Keys or take the Okeechobee canal and depart from the Atlantic side. And then between those two options what would be the specifics? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
====================
you may like to check a recent thread
How feasible The Bahamas for single hand?
lots of good info
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:16   #4

Boat: EDELCAT33

Have you done any overnights?
Get familiar with apps like Windy and Windfinder to Olán your weather window
This may be a good opportunity to do multi day offshore work with the option to call port everyday in case of issues. Tampa to Boca Grande should be a backup if something is not right. boca Grande pass could be tricky but plan for it, otherwise continue to Naples/Marco island for your second potential stop, if you want to stop. Pay attention on the passage from Marco Island to Channel Two bridge as this would be your longest passage and wind from the East would be a bitch with a Morgan I/O. But be patient, you can always throw the hook anywhere if you need a breather.
After the bridge you will be ocean side and good to go. The only question I have is how fast could you make it Bimini before the 3 day COVID window expires. Aiming for key Biscayne maybe a good compromise as you can anchor or dock at no name harbour, get an Uber to get your test and have plenty of time to cross over to Bimini.
Get a guide to cruising the Bahamas and there is enough material to Olán your trip
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:34   #5

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
The only question I have is how fast could you make it Bimini before the 3 day COVID window expires.

This is a very good point.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:51   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 MK II

Quote:
Have you done any overnights?
... Aiming for key Biscayne maybe a good compromise as you can anchor or dock at no name harbour, get an Uber to get your test and have plenty of time to cross over to Bimini.
Hear! Hear!

An excellent recommendation. There'll be lots of boaters in No Name waiting for window to open. Hang with them and you'll know when it's time to up anchor. Plus, you'll find out what Chris Parker says w/o having to pay for it.

But his subscription is WELL WORTH THE MONEY so I strongly urge you to get your own.
OrignalBudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 13:37   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423

You should know that the Lucie Lock will be closed from 1/2/2022 thru March 31st, 2022
wfetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 13:44   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
The only question I have is how fast could you make it Bimini before the 3 day COVID window expires.

That would be 5 days, not three

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 14:47   #9

Let us know how the boat and trip turns out, one day I plan on doing the same. Included comments on how the boat does please.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 15:44   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 8.5m

All good comments and tips thanks. As for gaining overnight experience I have lots of that, hitchiked across the Atlantic and done some other overnighters in the Med. Plenty familiar with windy, navionics, etc. But as I said all as crew so this time will be different, but Im familiar with how it goes, night watches etc. done my fare share of those! And I hadn't even gotten as far as thinking about covid complications but good you guys brought that up! I will indeed try and remember to post an update on how it goes, but it will be a while I wont go till first or second week of January.

The idea of finding a jumping off point where there are lots of other sailors waiting for the right window sounds like a good one...would be nice to join a floatilla or at the least as you guys said just get to talk with others who are more experienced and follow their lead. That being said to get to no name it would be pretty impractical to sail sail there around the peninsula....could do that canal but Im less keen on that. Where is "The place" that people depart from in the keys where I might be able to hook up with others?
momo034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 21:59   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28

Made the trip from FL panhandle (Carabelle) to St. Thomas last year late Nov. in a 1973 Morgan Out Island 28' with overnights in St. Pete, Marathon and Bahamas. Check wind and wave direction. Going SE when wind and waves are coming at you from that direction can make for a wet and rolly trip. But this little OI is a tough boat! Good luck!
CMO Tashina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 22:14   #12

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

If anything is going to break, fix it before you get to the Bahamas. Their import arrangements for spares are off-the-scale vexatious. Amazon specifically excludes the Bahamas.
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 06:40   #13

A big question I have is.. where do you want to get to in the Bahamas ? If you want to get to where it might be warmer in Winter, I'd cross the Stream as far south as possible and let the Stream help to push you over-- though "crabbing" will be part of it. Before that -- and with the small boat and shoal draft you have, I'd choose to go through Florida Bay (below the Everglades) and come out of the Keys very ready to cross wherever there aren't other limitations, i.e. air draft, weather, etc. The Okeechobee route can be ..interesting ....but you'll end up after that route near Stuart -- well to the north. It is pretty exciting to be out there in that very dark and deep blue water (made bluer by sargassum) which I always say is "like being in a washing machine" and to come up onto the low and comforting turquoise shallows of Bahamas. You'd enter a new county !! via Cat Cay and go into the Berries or cross The Bank to Nassau. Makes me want to ask -- might I go along ?
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 09:34   #14

https://smile.amazon.com/Sail-Me-Peo...al-text&sr=1-3
Sail with me... by Rebecca Berg $1.99 on kindle. The book is a light story of her adventure doing what your planning. She lived in the Keys so it goes over the staging area and where you might want to go when you get over there.. You might want to load up your tablets for the down times on the trip. I think if you do as her and friend does she checks in on Bimini and you can walk to the government offices without cab rides.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, florida, route, west coast