Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 14:33   #1

Wanted:Camper top for Searay 268 Sundancer

toThis might be foolish, but I'm looking for a used or better yet, new old stock, camper top salon enclosure for my 1988 Searay 268 Sundancer. The one I got with the boat is pretty rough but I'm going to make it work for a year too I find something. Thanks gang!!
jackw553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 14:52   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Wanted:Camper top for Searay 268 Sundancer

There's a Sea Ray owners club out there somewhere; might find good answers there. Might also find who made the original enclosures; they would likely still have the patterns and could make you a new one. And any decent local canvas maker can probably fit you right up, even with whatever modifications you might like to add, if any.

-Chris
Old 17-10-2017, 15:33   #3

I checked with the local canvas makes, he quoted me$4400!
That's what I paid for the boat
jackw553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 05:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackw553 View Post
I checked with the local canvas makes, he quoted me$4400! That's what I paid for the boat

I take your point, but that could well have been a legit estimate. Canvas is not inexpensive (labor and fitting time especially), and good canvas is even more costly. Even mnore so if they have to fabricate the stainless steel braces and struts and so forth.

You might be lucky to find used, or new old stock, but it maybe still won't fit exactly, could need a few tweaks here or there... That'd be good.

But if you don't find that, maybe something made by the original enclosure provider could work. Still needs some fitting, but at least they might still have the patterns.

If you have to have something made, Sunbrella fabric works well, and Tenara thread is especially useful -- so seams will last probably forever, so future repairs can just mean new "glass" (sheet vinyl) or screens or whatever. You can maybe specify stuff like that even with the OEM maker, if you can find out who that is/was.

Chris
Old 18-10-2017, 08:29   #5

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 38 foot

There is a company called Great Lakes Canvas that makes all Sea Ray Canvas. THey do not stock canvas for a boat as old as yours but they have the patterns and they will quote you a price to make your canvas. I used them when I had a Sea Ray and the canvas fit perfectly. Here is the link. Bimini Tops, Cockpit Covers and Boat Enclosures by Great Lakes Boat Top
Denman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 09:19   #6

$4400 is about right for a full enclosure. I just had my Crownline 270 CR done and that is pretty close.
Steve Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 09:34   #7

Yep, they are expensive. Not sure, but for a popular boat like that there may be canvas sets available, from some of the bigger marine stores or suppliers. A bit doubtful though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 11:44   #8

Something I didn't mention earlier when I waxed eloquently about costs...

Is that without regard to the comparative cost of the boat, if a decent enclosure extends the boating season by a month or two, maybe on each end for seasonal boaters... or maybe increases the value of the boating experience by a lot...

Maybe priceless.

Within reason, and within limits of affordability.

-Chris.
Old 18-10-2017, 12:15   #9

$4400 could be a bit high to me, but not sure. I'd definitely shop around and tell them you can give them the old one for pattersn and you have the frame. The last powercruiser I had came with a full enclosure, custom built and nearly new!. I only paid $5k for the whole boat and trailer. The owner told me it cost him $2500 (probably 5 years ago now)
OTOH I've paid $3k for a sailboat dodger and bimini and that was 20 years ago!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 13:42   #10

Canvas and isinglass is not a stock item. Particularly on a 1988 model. The inventory logistics to keep every model of every year of every manufacturer would be a nightmare. These items last over a decade, so you'd have a warehouse the size of a Amazon distribution center to sell 1-offs.

Your only course of action is to have it 'custom' made. Whether that means finding someone with the templates to make you a set or someone to come out and measure it and make you a set.

$4,400 sounds about right for complete canvas and isinglass.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 20:36   #11

If I understand you correctly, you want an inexpensive, DIY pickup topper to put over your cockpit area. I've got the same idea for my sailboat.
I don't know where you live but ... if you goggle "used pickup topper for sale" you'll probably find a starting point. I'd suggest you get your measurements together: how wide the base, how long (partial maybe so you can fish out the back), and how high? Plenty of glass, not plastic, windows I've found on line. Just send in a cardboard cutout of what you need.
I'm starting to work on a similar project as a partial cover for my mid-cockpit sailboat. I'm cutting the topper in half and will brace the mid arch area with resin soaked/fiberglass covered oak. Will fill in the center with fiberglass sheets. It might not be as pretty as store bought but a lot less expensive. Easy to put lights in and speakers. Good luck with your project.
Formosa46AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted