Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 20:04   #16

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Trouble deciding on Ipad Nav apps

Great post! My fav is navionics thanks all, Following
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 01:50   #17

Boat: Spirit 36

I think the AIS function in Navionics is very basic - not really useful. So I use iSailor for that: much, much better. Although my iPad has GPS, I have a wifi link with the AIS Transceiver that supplies position, etc.. Works very well and is more friendly to your battery.

My iPad lives under the sprayhood in a special frame and has a watertight socket. Shade is sufficient to keep the screen visible even in plain sunlight.
Tilikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 05:47   #18

Which if any of these programs feature
“Chart Quilting” so you can’t run off the edge
of the chart and then have to load the next one manually?
I have seen this with INavx and makes for some real
Pandemonium at all the wrong times
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 05:56   #19

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
I have Garmin / Active Captain, Navionics, and Aquamaps. I use Navionics and Aquamaps, and I sometimes use Garmin because I got a cheap Garmin chartplotter for my nav station plotter, and the Garmin app talks to the below deck plotter. Navionics is great for east coast US, but you want Explorer Chartbooks for Bahamas, and I have that on my helm chart plotter in C-Map. If I only had an iPad, I would get an app that will allow you to use Explorer if you're headed to the Bahamas. From a usability standpoint, Aquamaps is probably easiest, but there's not much difference really between three. Also, if I only had an iPad, I would get some sort of back-up device. Batteries die, devices die; I had a Furuno chart plotter die on me once, leaving the iPad as my primary.
AquaMaps has the Explorer charts for the Bahamas.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 06:02   #20

Boat: Catana 471

Navionics, AquaMap and ISailor are all good for vector charts. Fir the US, these are all based on the official NOAA data, and while they may each display it differently, the underlying accuracy and completeness should be basically the same (notwithstanding a few omissions that we’ve noticed in the Navionics “translation” of NOAA data this year).

For raster charts, check out SEAiq USA. I find the interface much easier to use than iNavX, and the (human edited/drawn) raster charts sometimes provide a very different level of awareness than the vector charts, especially in unfamiliar areas. Not so much for basic depths and contours, but unusual/atypical geographic features will usually be blindingly obvious on the raster charts, while the same feature may be more subtly indicated by an inconspicuous symbol, and boundaries may be harder to interpret from the display in the vector charting apps.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 06:56   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

On my delivery iPad I have: Navionics, primarily for the sonar charts and crowd-source info. I also have iNavX loaded so I can see the old raster charts.

My benchmark is seeing how the app presents the St Augustine Inlet and the junction with the ICW at the inlet. The NOAA chart is fairly useless, whereas the Sonar Chart is very accurate. I use this inlet a few times a year and am somewhat familiar with it. Most recently 2 months ago. Aqua Map shows depths consistent with my experience and Navionics.

NOTE- in Aqua Map, it is a separate download to pull the USCG data, specifically the buoys!! If one does not turn in that feature, the data does not present on the chart. That is a HUGE issue.

I have tested a few apps that try to do it all. I am yet to use one that does all the functions well. There are some full blown programs that are pretty good, but no apps.

For weather Predict Wind PRO is the standard that others should be measured by. As a delivery guy it is worth my $500/year.

For coastal sailing, or short hops, look at Luck Grib. Purchasing the basic package will allow you to start to really learn how to use and read a GRIB. Add the routing module and you are on your way to fully understanding how to use weather to your advantage.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 08:09   #22

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I’m not sure that needing to turn on the various options in AquaMaps is a huge issue. ANY navigation app needs to be configured or set up prior to use, just as any mapping program needs up to date charts.

I DO find the need to update charts and USACE surveys manually to be a flaw, but I have gotten into the habit of updating Navionics and AquaMaps the night before we haul anchor to get the most up to date information.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 08:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I’m not sure that needing to turn on the various options in AquaMaps is a huge issue. ANY navigation app needs to be configured or set up prior to use, just as any mapping program needs up to date charts.
Don’t misunderstand me, it is not an issue to turn it on. But (call me old school) buoys are an essential part of navigating and therefore an essential item to display. Defaulting them to off it foolish. Buoys should default to on. Hence my “Note” comment.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 11:57   #24

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
For raster charts, check out SEAiq USA. I find the interface much easier to use than iNavX, and the (human edited/drawn) raster charts sometimes provide a very different level of awareness than the vector charts, especially in unfamiliar areas. Not so much for basic depths and contours, but unusual/atypical geographic features will usually be blindingly obvious on the raster charts, while the same feature may be more subtly indicated by an inconspicuous symbol, and boundaries may be harder to interpret from the display in the vector charting apps.
This is one of the reasons I prefer SEAiq. If they and iSailor merged they'd have potential to easily be the best nav app. (Assuming they combined SEAiq's functionality with iSailor's UI/UX and not the reverse!)

It also lets you add a ton of chart annotations. I'm not talking about the "drop a marker here and attach a note" type in other apps, the sort you can easily miss, I mean "draw a polygon around the area you want to mark and color it in" sort. You can drop as many VRMs or EBLs as you like, and even attach them to AIS targets.

(The downside is ease of chart availability; it's really only the NOAA charts that are hassle-free, and as mentioned they can be a bit lacking in some places.)
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 07:59   #25

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMoody View Post
Just acquired a basic Ipad (with gps) to use solely on our boat. I'm struggling to decide on whih app to use for navigation. I'm trying to choose between Navionics, iNavX or Isailor.

I've done a bunch of reading up on forums but a lot of the discussions are fairly old and it seems like some of the apps have gone through recent changes (for the worst)

Anyone currently using one or more of these and able to throw me some wisdom?
No experience with iNavx or Isailor, I'll take a look at them. I have used Navionics in the past, but have let my subscription expire after the "Garminization" of the product (more $, less functionality). C-map seems good in my experience if you're looking for an Apples to Apples replacement. Aquamap is another alternative.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 08:08   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have been using iSailor for many years. I also have a B&G Vulcan plotter with radar and the Explorer charts for the Bahamas.

I would consider the Aquamaps as a companion to iSailor because it has the Explorer charts but as my plotter has those too -and- I have them on paper, it becomes a bit overdone.

I don’t think I like iNavx, Navionics etc. I believe if you stop paying you lose all the charts?! Imagine when crossing an ocean and you can’t pay!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad