Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 18:27   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Transient Slip in Destin or Pensacola Beach

We have been on the water a week delivering our Seawind 33 ft cat from Texas. Planned to stop in Alabama and over winter the boat at a friend's house, and come back early next year for three months in Florida and Exumas. Anyway this trip is going faster than planned, plus as of last week we are newly retired. Want to go a bit further and stay in Destin or Pensacola beach and get off the boat and enjoy some nearby shore activities. Anyone have recommendation for marina for transient a few days? Guidebook says harborwalk marina in Destin has no transient slips. Pensacola beach marina looks promising but know nothing about it. Anyone with a good recommendation? Again, am looking for near to restaurants, beach or other shoreside attraction to end on a good note instead of wife left feeling this is a delivery mission only. (Which it was!). Boat is a 33 ft long by 19 ft wide cat. Thanks.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 18:29   #2

Re: Transient Slip in Destin or Pensacola Beach

Oh and mast height is 55 ft clearance.
Old 09-10-2015, 18:45   #3

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Check out Active Captain for info on ports, marinas, etc. There are a number of marinas in P'cola and no bridges for a lot of them. Great town to hang in for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-10-2015, 18:52   #4

Yeah I read some of that, but many of those are pretty remote. I want to step off the boat and have shoreside activities within walking distance.
Old 09-10-2015, 19:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Yeah I read some of that, but many of those are pretty remote. I want to step off the boat and have shoreside activities within walking distance.
Check to see if Palafox Marina has a slip for you. Best location in Pensacola.

Public pier at Pensacola Beach just east of the bridge from Gulf Breeze to Pensacola Beach.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 20:51   #6

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

If you want walking distance to bars and restaurants then Palafox is your best choice. It's close to the down town historic district. No major grocery stores nearby. You will find 3 or 4 marinas on Chico bayou a little cheaper but not much "nice" stuff in walking distance. If you want to store on the hard Patti boatyard was the cheapest but they were talking of closing it last spring.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 22:57   #7

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Ck Harbor Dock in Destin.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04   #8

Thanks for recommendation. Have a reservation at palafox.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau 411

I've only sailed in that area once, but watch the bridge clearances carefully. There are a number of low ones.
apacit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 20:00   #10

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Palafox is not on Pensacola Beach. It is in downtown Pensacola. If you would like being in a resort, beach environment, then go to one of the 3 marinas on Pensacola Beach located in Sabine Bay. 25 bars and restaurants within easy 3 block area, plus a gulf, bay beach. There is no beach near Palafox.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 03:16   #11

I would suggest making it to Panama City Beach. Lot of stuff to do and slip rent is cheap. I have my 41 foot cabo rico there now. My Marina is Sun Harbor Marina. Its 325 per month and that includes everything. Plus the 11 million dollar Gaff Rigged Schooner is there. Its cool to see her every morning and Dream....If you need numbers etc...Let me k know. I stayed on the hook in Destin Harbor for a few days. Lot of boat traffic and partying..

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Oceanghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 06:04   #12

Boat: Dufour 43

We like both, downtown Pensacola and Pensacola Beach.

If you stay in Palafox marina in downtown, you will have plenty to do from bars, shops and restaurants and history stuff. There is a Whole Foods close if needing to restock. We berth our boat in Gulf Breeze and often take our boat over and anchor near downtown and simply walk around, mainly during the many events, ballgames and festivals downtown. Easier than driving and parking.

Anchoring in Little Sabine will be your best bet for exploring the beach. There is usually not any open slips on the one open to public marina. It is small. Little Sabine has the best protection from wind from all directions and that is where we anchor during the many trips to Pensacola Beach Proper. From there you can go to the many shops, bars, and eats. I suggest oysters from Peg Leg Pete's! We usually take the dinghy from Little Sabine to Peg Leg, but you can walk.

Our suggestion is to get a slip in Palafor Marina, then when downtown gets old, sail across the bay for a daytrip to Pensacola Beach and then back to the slip that evening.

PM if you need additional detail or a ride to the parts store.
sailsunfurled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 09:00   #13

Thanks for the additional info guys. Note this thread was started over a month ago, and as we posted on Oct 10, we got a reservation at Palafox. Stayed there for several days and enjoyed the restaurants, tours, historic stuff, etc. And the marina was fantastic, and the dockmaster and assistant very helpful in both docking and pointing out the attractions. Highly recommended to stay there.
Old 15-11-2015, 09:54   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

When you get to Panama City, might consider a day or two at the St. Andrews Marina and then move down to PC City Marina. Both run by the City but different shore side amenities. Both have alongside piers which should handle the cat without problems.

Anchoring out in Destin Harbor and dinghy around might be an alternative as well as Little Sabine Bayou at Pensacola Beach.

Good luck and watch the weather.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pensacola