Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2010, 16:09   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Now come on Daddle, stop throwing wet sticks in the campfire....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 16:25   #107

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Obviously you are using outdated charts. Otherwise you'd see the fire.
-dan
I think I found it! Near the edge of the chart, right under "There Be Dragons"!
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 09:14   #108

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post

... a sextant and chronometer ... a hobby....
... Bug forget it for backup navigation....
... foolish as a backup....
... Sailors of old didn't use a sextant as backup....
... It won't be accurate enough to avoid reefs....
... Useless...
... the sextant is a useless relic.
Well, this is your opinion, reflecting your sailing experience and your set of skills.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:37   #109

Boat: Mac 26x
i have decided to purchase a sextant,to be truthfull my wife has offered to buy me one for my B/day.

my reasons for obtaining a sextant are few,mainly to use it as a back up system for my electronics and i intend to learn how to do the calcs both with a calculator and the old fashoned way.I aslo feel that there is a nostalgic element to my decision,a sextant is part of maritime history.As sailors we utilise what is s very old form of propulsion and for me its all an extension of being part of nature.
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:49   #110

Boat: Bristol 34
I am not the only person here who has a very pretty - but strictly decorative - sextant adorning the mantle in my den, a gift from my lovely wife. She bought it through an internet dealer whose fine print stated "not for navigation". Therefore, I strongly advise you to guide her in the purchase and keep her away from "Stanley of London". A $200 plastic Davis is far more useful than a $350 copy of an antique Plath that could not help you find your way to the bathroom (but looks really cool on the mantle).
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 06:01   #111

Boat: sadler 32
Send a message via MSN to basile Send a message via Skype™ to basile
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastonjock View Post
i have decided to purchase a sextant,to be truthfull my wife has offered to buy me one for my B/day.

my reasons for obtaining a sextant are few,mainly to use it as a back up system for my electronics and i intend to learn how to do the calcs both with a calculator and the old fashoned way.I aslo feel that there is a nostalgic element to my decision,a sextant is part of maritime history.As sailors we utilise what is s very old form of propulsion and for me its all an extension of being part of nature.
ooooh, isn't that soooo romantic
Old 25-02-2010, 07:11   #112

Boat: Farrier f27
I bought a good Cassens Plath off of Ebay for $450, there's no sense in buying retail. Just be careful who you buy from and don't go for the shiny brass mantel units!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:21   #113

Boat: Mac 26x
thanks for the tips guys,my wife has already put me in charge of buying my sextant,my good wife is a consultant in computer systems but a complete novice when it comes to things nautical.

ive been looking at a few sextants on e-bay,the bargain plaths are no longer,why would someone pay 750 gbpounds for a second hand plath when you can buy a new one for 500 gb pounds?
there are plenty of brass ones but read the fine print and they are "reproductions"

Ive got my eye on a few of them,ones that i consider that may be worth bidding for
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:30   #114

It takes a while for good deals to show up on ebay you've just got to be patient.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:26   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
The best sextant deals I have seen recently were on Craigslist. I use that metacrawler and a few always come up.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:35   #116

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Pity I did not see your recommendation earlier. I have still to get a sextant, but as a precursor I recently ordered:

Celestial Navigation in the GPS Age by John Karl
Great book.

Regarding the whole issue of carrying a sextant, I like somebody's turn of phrase: "We're only one lightning bolt away from the age of sail." For me, that sums it up.

Sextants offer less utility to the coastal cruiser. But I could not imagine crossing the Pacific without one and knowing how to use it.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:27   #117

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
While I agree that a sextant is a necessary backup for loss of electronics, there are/will be (perhaps prohibitively costly) satellite-based positioning alternatives to the US GPS system. The Russian GLONASS system is available with both standalone and GPS-integrated receivers. Global GLONASS coverage is expected to be restored this year (2010). There's also the EU's Galileo, assuming it's completed (supposedly by 2014). So, in the unlikely event that the US turns off GPS, you may be able to rely on the other data sources.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:35   #118

Boat: sadler 32
Send a message via MSN to basile Send a message via Skype™ to basile
Alternatives ... yes, sure BUT not with our existing hardware ...
Old 25-02-2010, 10:42   #119

Oh yeah I'd rely on a Russian based GPS system! the point of this thread is to develop multidimensional navigational capability but I myself will never rely on what I'd describe as flaky Russian technology. I think they'd definitely degrade their signal that's available publicly.
Old 25-02-2010, 11:15   #120

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I don't know. I have never been able to get a good sight on any of those man made satalites. They move too fast. The error between sight and time seems too big. I guess if I got a new sextant with a stopwatch type feture things might work better. I also think any of the systems would be greatly improved if they used colored lights or something for better identification. Perhaps the Russians will think of that. No matter what, I haven't got one of those gps things to give me their possition. Does anyone know where to get the tables for those manmade satelites? The natural ones have been figured out and published for centuries...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sextant