Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2022, 06:32   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Thoughts from experienced skippers please

I also consider it my job to think of spouses and children back home in addition to the immediate crew aboard. Kayaks work well in a pinch too.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 06:42   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I also consider it my job to think of spouses and children back home in addition to the immediate crew aboard. Kayaks work well in a pinch too.

Spouses , jeepers ones enough for me.
Old 22-04-2022, 06:55   #33

One thing I didnt find in the thread is insurance, check his insurance covers the boat and you and the hands. Covers you for liability too. Covers not just injury or loss of life but any claim from the owner or other ship. If you or the hands are being paid, that changes the insurance requirements as I understand it. Is the boat a registered US vessel, is the registration up to date, are the radios on board working and properly registered. ...... you know the drill.
herbhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:02   #34

Boat: Lagoon 40

I normally keep my boat on the Alabama coast also, but I am presently in the Bahamas. I have made that trip many times, and will be making the return trip soon. I typically go between Dog Island and Anclotte Key. Then its an easy trip to either Tarpon Springs or Clearwater.

I have done this on boats with and without a liferaft, but certainly with a dinghy and other safety equipment. Here are my thoughts:
- I typically carry a liferaft, but I think a dinghy can be an OK substitute when you are within say 150 miles of shore at all times and you have emergency comms;
- The big bend is very remote. Don't be surprised if you see no other boats. Given that, VHF is not sufficient comms by itself, and cell signal will disappear quickly. I carry either/or Iridium Go or inReach sat comm, plus EPIRB;
- check the weather carefully, that area of the Gulf is prone to quick changes, so wait for a 24/36 hour min window that is well within your capabilities. We usually complete the crossinging in about 18-20 hours.
- I am a big believer in AIS and wouldnt make a passage without it. For this particular passage, if you do come across traffic, it will likely be a fishing vessel (with or without AIS) or a barge under tow (typically with AIS). Barges under tow typically use long lines at sea - be aware of this!
- a rare occurence (but one to be aware of) is that this area can become an exclusion zone as it can be used as a "fall-out" area for launches from Cape Canaveral (space junk)

I have crossed a number of oceans, including the Atlantic. Even though the Gulf is "my backyard" it is not to be taken lightly. I have had some extremely uncomfortable rides with 4 ft waves at 3 sec period. So, check sea state as well as wind carefully.

One last thought - when transiting from Cape San Blas to Apalachicola, I recommend taking the the ICW. Normally I am not a fan of the ICW on a sailboat, but if you have not done it before, that trip is terrific as you will go down the Apalachicola River and across Lake Wimico. It is remote and beautiful.

Good Luck, and have a heart-to-heart with the owner on safety!
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:34   #35

Seems like maybe you would want to own your own EPIRB if you want to keep doing deliveries? Then when the boat comes with one there is redundancy. When it doesn’t you at least have yours.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:56   #36

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

I think you might be a bit out of your sailing experience and I would not recommend you take the delivery
While deliveries are fun, they come with a fair amount of liability and I'm guessing you don't have insurance for that.
The owner is either not knowledgeable or is deliberately not equipping the voyage for the trip.
Remember you are personally liable for the crew and the vessel.
I recommend you walk away from this
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:57   #37

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbhunt View Post
One thing I didnt find in the thread is insurance, check his insurance covers the boat and you and the hands. Covers you for liability too. Covers not just injury or loss of life but any claim from the owner or other ship. If you or the hands are being paid, that changes the insurance requirements as I understand it. Is the boat a registered US vessel, is the registration up to date, are the radios on board working and properly registered. ...... you know the drill.
Even if he has insurance, you are still personally liable as the master
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:15   #38

Boat: Freedom 38

Whenever i do deliveries, i ask (require) that the owner contact their insurance company & add me as an “additional operator “. This gets me formally covered under the owner’s policy. There is normally no additional charge for this. Most insurance companies will ask to see a copy of my coast guard ticket and drivers license (they check for DUIs). It is also important to be sure that the owner’ and your TowBoat US and/or Sea Tow are paid up.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
A quick internet search shows a number of places in Florida that will rent out a life raft and EPIRB.

Maybe the owner will be more amenable to that?

At the end of the day, it is your decision whether you do the trip or not.
I agree. As a licensed Captain as well you are responsible for all souls on board. Considering this is recently purchased boat you really won’t know what kind of flaws are on the boat. Therefore I would not go offshore without raft or at least a dinghy.

Another concern is will the insurance company insure you as Captain for the trip? A few years back I was asked to skipper a delivery of a 57’ Jeanneau. Because I had not done the route before the insurance company would not insure me. Something to keep in mind.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:05   #40

Four crew sounds like a big schooner. I've done the same trip solo. I trust you have done your check on draught, both air and water. Okechobe is a bit skinny. Nice to have all the safety kit, but in practice, a four man rubber duck with a small outboard and 5 gals of gas will get you ashore. Hell, you can almost walk ashore from 3 miles out!
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:21   #41

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
+1. Well said.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 11:48   #42

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

I agree with the inflatable dinghy idea, which I have used many times on west coast deliveries. Half inflated, folded and stowed in a secure spot on deck with the pump, securely attached has substituted for a life raft for coastal deliveries.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 12:29   #43

Boat: Larson 250 Cabrio

I would appreciate a comment from a professional Captain what legal/professional requirements apply for safety equipment on the proposed voyage. Would lack of EPIRB or liferaft (or something els) represent a dereliction of duty for a licensed Captain under hire?
GopherBaroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 13:57   #44

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

This isn't offshore, this is coastal. At most you'll be 40 miles from the nearest shore. Surely, a coast guard helo is no more than an hour away.
How many people make the 70 mile jump across to The Bahamas without a liferaft?
Saying that, a dinghy is not a substitute for a liferaft. In open water, in the sort of conditions that would take down a schooner, a dink will be less than useless.
Having a PLB/EPIRB, a waterproof handheld VHF and survival suits for all occupants should be your minimum considerations.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 02:38   #45

[QUOTE=Lodesman;3611545... In open water, in the sort of conditions that would take down a schooner, a dink will be less than useless.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But you wouldn't be out in a storm when so close to shelter. More likely a skin fitting shears off or you hit a container. Legally you have to have the works on board.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, skipper