Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-05-2006, 21:01   #1

Boat: Bayliner 2556
The Weekend Navigator Book

After reading through numerous books on Navigation theory, I was pleased to find the book: The Weekend Navigator by Robert Sweet. This book cover all the aspects of using GPS, Radar, Chart plotters, Laptop chart programs and applying them to the job of Navigation. The book is filled with color pictures. I found it to be one of the very few MODERN books on this subject. I beleive the US Powersquadron has adopted it for their navigation classes. The book can be found on Amazon.com for about $12.

Craig
Attached Images

Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 08:21   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Craig:

I was going to post about a good book on Navigation I guess I won't have to do that now.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 08:39   #3

I'm Not Really an Alarmist

"Weekend" and "navigator" as one phrase just doesn't sit right with me.

Weekend piloting, yes. But navigation? Is navigation (suggesting one is out of sight of land) someting that can be done as a weeekend avocation?

I'm sure the book is filled with very useful information that will be a help to many boaters, and I'm not criticising contents that I have not read. It's just the suggestion of the title that I find a little, well, if not misleading, not strictly accurate, and as such, able to give the wrong impression.

I think I can divine the approach from the GPS on the cover. I won't be bothered with any celestial geometry. It's all as simple as pushing buttons.

Craig, can you tell us a bit more about the contents, vis-a-vis my concerns?

Is there any discusion of meteorology, or any other "non-electronic" element, or does it focus on how to get the most out of your gadgets?
Old 18-06-2006, 10:49   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
CaptainJeff, I think the title is better than another title which could have been offered - "Maritime Navigation for Idiots."
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 12:24   #5

Boat: 44 footer
This is the book that was used in the Piloting class put on by the local US Powersquadron.

Its a pretty decent book.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 19:46   #6

Hey, Zach,

Haven't seen you around for a while. Hope all is going well.