Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2013, 09:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

The End of Paper Nautical Charts

See link:

The End of Paper Nautical Charts | Motherboard
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:15   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Re: The End of Paper Nautical Charts

I think paper charts are mostly useless. If people do have them on board, they are most likely outdated. With today's technology and electronic gizmos, it is possible to have redundancies of electronic navigation systems (and power) with minimal investment.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
I think paper charts are mostly useless. If people do have them on board, they are most likely outdated. With today's technology and electronic gizmos, it is possible to have redundancies of electronic navigation systems (and power) with minimal investment.
I think you're completely wrong. I'm a professional software developer with a specialty in spatial data and an offshore sailor.

NOAA got out of the printing business.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I think you're completely wrong. I'm a professional software developer with a specialty in spatial data and an offshore sailor.

NOAA got out of the printing business.

So what part am I wrong about? If paper charts were invaluable, NOAA would still be printing them.
Old 30-10-2013, 11:52   #5

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced today that the analog maps will be phased out in favor of more up-to-date efficient electronic charts, in order to save money.

It's all about the money...
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:56   #6

It would be helpful for those of us still interested in paper to make use of the PDF format now available. If we don't use it, they'll stop even that service.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It would be helpful for those of us still interested in paper to make use of the PDF format now available. If we don't use it, they'll stop even that service.
Why do you feel the need to go to NOAA for a pdf file? You can just print screen from your computer (assuming you have downloaded the most recent charts).

So long as NOAA continues to do the surveying for the charts and provide electronic updates. I do not see a problem.
Old 30-10-2013, 12:02   #8

This seems to be a new thread every 3 days. Even the most simplest search would turn up a dozen threads with damn near the same title.

Want paper charts? You can still buy them from countless printing companies.

Want free NOAA charts? Downloads the PDFs.

Want electronic charts? I won't say pay because CM93s abound if you know where to look.

At this point I'm not in the mood for yet another debate about paper V electronic so I'll bow out.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
So what part am I wrong about? If paper charts were invaluable, NOAA would still be printing them.
Nothing in NOAA's charter mentions "printing". Physical base security is a tad important on a nuclear submarine base but that's often farmed out to private security because it's cheaper and a better use of resources.

Digital charts are no-doubt popular but the folks I meet, on the water (as opposed to on the Internet) who are going to far flung places uses paper and pencil.

The cost of disseminating hydrography data to chart providers (like navionics) is pennies to the dollar compared to running physical printing presses. In the effort of smaller government via efficiency, let the private sector take over printing.

For offshore routes they largely already have: http://www.tidesend.com/index.lasso
Old 30-10-2013, 12:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
This seems to be a new thread every 3 days. Even the most simplest search would turn up a dozen threads with damn near the same title.

Want paper charts? You can still buy them from countless printing companies.

Want free NOAA charts? Downloads the PDFs.

Want electronic charts? I won't say pay because CM93s abound if you know where to look.

At this point I'm not in the mood for yet another debate about paper V electronic so I'll bow out.

I'll follow you out the virtual door.
Old 30-10-2013, 13:03   #11

Quote:
Nothing in NOAA's charter mentions "printing". Physical base security is a tad important on a nuclear submarine base but that's often farmed out to private security because it's cheaper and a better use of resources.

Digital charts are no-doubt popular but the folks I meet, on the water (as opposed to on the Internet) who are going to far flung places uses paper and pencil.

The cost of disseminating hydrography data to chart providers (like navionics) is pennies to the dollar compared to running physical printing presses. In the effort of smaller government via efficiency, let the private sector take over printing.

For offshore routes they largely already have: Bellingham Chart Printers

So I am still not sure how you make the leap from my opinion that I personally think paper charts are an outdated form of navigation (for me - aboard my vessel) to homeland security and nuclear submarines.

You started out by stating I was wrong to believe this but still haven't offered any substance to support your argument.
Old 30-10-2013, 13:15   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

NOAA shouldn't be in the business of printing charts or anything else at all except governance and policy making. This is the prime reason our government keeps growing and why our government is a dysfunctional bureaucracy.

FYI - I used to work for the National Science Foundation [Arlington] in the Research and Development directorate, so I have a well founded opinion on these issues.

Everything... surveys, print charts, predicting weather, ocean research, ET AL should be FUNDED by NOAA and farmed out to private (maybe non-profit) companies.

If we did this across the spectrum of government services, the national parks would not have shut down, and we wouldn't have vets, and our government would shrink by 90%.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 17:11   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
NOAA shouldn't be in the business of printing charts or anything else at all except governance and policy making. This is the prime reason our government keeps growing and why our government is a dysfunctional bureaucracy.

FYI - I used to work for the National Science Foundation [Arlington] in the Research and Development directorate, so I have a well founded opinion on these issues.

Everything... surveys, print charts, predicting weather, ocean research, ET AL should be FUNDED by NOAA and farmed out to private (maybe non-profit) companies.

If we did this across the spectrum of government services, the national parks would not have shut down, and we wouldn't have vets, and our government would shrink by 90%.
NOAA is a fabulous institution , hands off

Dave
Old 30-10-2013, 17:14   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

For offshore routes they largely already have: http://www.tidesend.com/index.lasso
Nope most cruisers to " far flung places " use digital charts with a small scale paper chart as backup. It's often very difficult to get local paper charts in any detail

NOAA is getting out of paper charts because its major customer base , mandated shipping, has switched to IMO ECDIS digital chart displays. Paper charts are going the way of buggy whips

Dave
Old 30-10-2013, 19:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
NOAA is a fabulous institution , hands off

Dave
AGREED!

Tags
cal, charts