Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 08:27   #1

Boat: nauticat 44
The best way to the Philippines

Hello to all !

I have been considering for some time now moving our 44' Nauticat Motorsailor from Baltimore to Manila and have come up with the following options and am open minded to any other choice that has not surfaced.

1. Baltimore/Azores/Suez Canal route

2. " /Panama Canal/Hawaii route

3. " /Brazil/Cape of Good Hope route

4. " /Brazil/ Cape Horn route

5. Ship boat (30,000 to 40,000) very expensive.

6. Just sell the boat and buy another one in Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia.

Our Nauticat is almost done now a complete refit including all new wiring/through hulls/electronics/engine/generator/steering/helm stations/4 coats of bottom paint/new inflatable/bow thruster/etc.

Thank you so much to any and all who are willing to give us any thoughts.

Michael and Merly Gutowski
forkliftman1952@gmail.com
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 03:30   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: The best way to the Philippines

Hello Michael, Not sure how you feel about catamarans but there are a lot of nice catamarans (and probably monohull s) for sale In Thailand for extremely good prices Unless your in no hurry that could be an awesome trip.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 05:57   #3

Thank you for the kind reply. You are right, there are many vessels for sale in Thailand and it would only be a 2000 mile journey. One that caught my eye is another Nauticat but it is too much money. It has been for sale forever though so maybe at some point they might be reasonable on an offer. Really hate to sell my boat after a complete refit. If I could fetch a good price for it maybe that would not be so bad. A broker I contacted was only lukewarm about my chances of obtaining a high price for it so who knows. At the same time he is selling several other Nauticats at a high price. I tried asking the owner of the Thailand Nauticat if he would be willing to sell his boat to me when mine is sold and he said NO. So I guess it's best just to bring my boat to Manila. Am not worried about the long journey but about there being no easy way to do it and shipping the boat is CRAZY expensive. Michael
Old 25-10-2016, 03:39   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Lots of threads on the Suez canal etc out there. Cruiser Fatty goodander did it and while safe, had nothing nice at all to say about the governments politics etc etc . Join the pacific puddle jumpers maybe. Any concern about being in Manilla with the very recent protests against Americans and Dueterte (pulling away) from the US? Their news the last several days has shown nothing but anti US protests etc.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 04:57   #5

Many thanks about the concerns in Manila. My understanding is that this is just temporary rhetoric on his part. The Philippines has a long standing good relationship with the USA. I am often in Manila and everyone shows me a lot of respect as an American. Most Filipinos really don't like the Chinese. They are everywhere owning businesses and taking advantage of the natives. Here in Baltimore we have killings every day and as an older white man most of my fellow citizens show me little or no respect since I am not rich or famous. Honestly, I prefer Manila except that many things we take for granted here are simply not available there or cost way too much money. Anyway, life is not perfect no matter where you live. The real peace is inside of us. Michael

Tags
Philippines