Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 23:29   #1

Tasman in winter

Call me crazy but does anyone have experience of crossing the Tasman Hobart-Greymouth in winter before?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
aussie_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 23:48   #2

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Tasman in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_sailor View Post
Call me crazy but does anyone have experience of crossing the Tasman Hobart-Greymouth in winter before?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Well Crazy, If you do a search of sailing the Tasman or possibly sailing the paddock, something like that, there is a video of four or five men doing that. Time of year they did it I'm not certain of. I'm interested I what answers you get though.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 00:36   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

G'day Crazy,
The only time I have sailed the Tasman ( Bass Strait to Cook Strait) was in late January.
However..... in the day job I spent about 18 years on Bass Strait ( about 3300 crossings more or less ) plus 3 years before that running across the Bight to the west and also a couple of years on rig boats in the Paddock. Also about 20 years small boat sailing in the area in all seasons.

Winters can give very settled weather, depends on the year. Gales are usually quite honest... you see them coming and.. well.... they are just gales.
Worst time is typically August/Sept with April not quite so bad...the equinoctial gales.
Late spring/Early summer gives storms... not many but can be bad... short sharp and nasty... from October into very early January.
So nothing intrinsically wrong with a winter crossing ( depends a lot of course on boat and crew).
Problem is picking if it is going to be a hard season or not, dry year ashore...good winter weather and v/v.

Dunno if I would be wanting to make a landfall on the west coast of the South Island in winter..... maybe I'm just getting soft.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:23   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I've Sailed Cook Strait and surrounds for over 30 years. Crossed the Tasman several times, once single-handed. Over 40K miles offshore.
I'd be really wary of approaching Greymouth in strong conditions, let alone a gale or storm. Nelson would be better and safer, unless the weather is very good. Can be done, but likely to be a cold, heavy weather voyage... Remember you are in the roaring 40's, approaching a lee shore with a difficult entrance in anything but calm conditions.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=gr...w=1024&bih=499
Old 05-03-2015, 01:34   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
I'd be really wary of approaching Greymouth in strong conditions, let alone a gale or storm. Nelson would be better and safer, unless the weather is very good. Can be done, but likely to be a cold, heavy weather voyage... Remember you are in the roaring 40's, approaching a lee shore with a difficult entrance in anything but calm conditions.
I reckon the west coast would be a lee shore if you were within about 500 miles of it in a blow.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:42   #6

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Ha, yep spot on IMO....
Old 05-03-2015, 01:46   #7

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I spent 15 yrs on bass strait oil/ gas platforms and would never consider sailing across from May to sept one day can be fine good wind flat sea then bingo the **** hits the fan I remember being stuck out on platforms for 3 weeks plus on many occasions due to high winds and helicopters grounded because of the weather
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote