Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2008, 07:45   #1

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Tasco offshore 21 binos, make into monoculars?

I have a pair of Tasco Offshore 21 binoculars that I bought about 12 years ago. They were great when new, but after 3 months one optic fogged up, and was repaired under warrantee. A year later both fogged up and was also repaired under lifetime warrantee. They actually replaced them this time.
Now I get 2 images, and they will not honor warrantees on stuff bought before 2002.
I want to separate the 2 sides and have 2 monoculars, but can't seem to figure out how to separate them.
Has anyone done this? My mate could have one with the eyepiece adjusted to her eye, and one for myself.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 09:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have considered the same....taking a band saw to a pair of broken binoculars and making it into a monocular. Never did it though, so I cant say from expereince...but that the heck, what have you got to lose? I would go for it if you have a broken pair laying around. You may screw up the ability to focus it though for the types that do not focus by turning the diopter setting at each eye opening. For a working pair, I would not chance it.

BTW, Tasco makes low end binoculars. If you need to rely on a good pair I would stick with a pair of Steiners or a pair of high end Japanese made binoculars like Nikon. I use a pair of Canons with image stabilization that works really well on the water.

Instead of cutting what you have in half, just go out and buy a cheap pair.

Kids Binoculars : Binoculars - Shop at Binoculars

This is a pretty good price for Nikons: Nikon 8x40 Action Ultra-Wide-View Binoculars - Binoculars at Binoculars
Don't get them wet though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 10:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Snap the cover off the hinge pin, where it retains the lens covers. There should be a screw under there, which you remove - et voila, 2 monoculars.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 14:58   #4

My primary binos are Fuji's that I bought in 1990. Fantastic binos. The Tascos are VERY close to them in clarity, etc, plus they are a lot lighter. At the time I bought the Tascos, the reg. price was $139 ( I got them at a West Marine tent sale for $70) I paid $200. for the Fuj's at a boat show.
The tascos have adustments on each eyepiece, so 2 monoculars are possible.

I wish it was as easy as just removing a screw!
Old 22-05-2008, 16:22   #5

I got them apart. After removing the screw and cap, there is a plastic disc that doesn move. From the other end I drove it out with a small punch. Thats all it took. We now have 2 very nice monoculars.
Tasco did make some cheap binoculars, but their offshore series had good optics, when they didn't fog up. or go out of allignment.
Before this when I needed the Binoculars, and another crew member had readjusted them to their eyes, I had to readjust. Now it's just pick them up and look. No adjusting.
I like it!