Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 06:35   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS
Tampa bay to Charlotte advice

New to the area. I’m planning on moving my Jeanneau DS42 from Tampa to Burnt Store in Charlotte Harbor the 1st week of September.

Planning on running outside, weather permitting. Any advise or pointers?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 23-08-2018, 07:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Tampa bay to Charlotte advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillard View Post
New to the area. I’m planning on moving my Jeanneau DS42 from Tampa to Burnt Store in Charlotte Harbor the 1st week of September.

Planning on running outside, weather permitting. Any advise or pointers?

Thanks,
Mark
Howdy Mark! Welcome Aboard CF!

I have not yet sailed that route, but would like to (as crew). Other CF members may give you some anecdotes or tips.

You and others reading this may already know this, but if not, I hope you find it helpful.

Here is a link to the NOAA chart you will want to have aboard, in addition to electronic versions you may have on a chartplotter.

NOAA charts can be downloaded for free in a format that can be printed and then kept in a binder.

NOAA chart #11425 goes from Tampa to Charlotte Harbor
Chart 11425

In addition to the chart, it is smart to read the coast pilot too. Here is a link to the appropriate chapter that goes from Key West to Tampa (as I recall).
https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...lot/index.html

Here is an excerpt from the relevant chapter on Charlotte Harbor:
“(337) Dangers
(338) Numerous floating piles have been reported in Charlotte Harbor and adjacent waterways, and in Boca Grande Channel and its approaches.

(339) Currents
(340) The tidal currents in the entrance channel average 2.2 knots at strength. The ebb current, which is said to attain occasionally an extreme velocity of 3 to 4 knots, depending also upon the force and direction of the wind. In the harbor channel between Cape Haze and the north end of Pine Island, the average velocity of the current is 0.5 knot. In Matlacha Pass at Little Pine Island bridge the current floods to the southeast with an average velocity of 0.6 knot; the ebb current is weak and variable. To the north at the Myakka River bridges the current floods to the northwest with an average velocity of 0.5 knot; the ebb current is weak and variable. In Peace River the current floods to the northeast and ebbs to the southwest with an average velocity of about 0.4 knot at strength. Predictions of the current at several places in Charlotte Harbor may be obtained in the Tidal Current Tables.”

I hope that helps. Bon Voyage on the water and on CF.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 07:51   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

You may wish to delay your departure until the red tide bloom subsides with cooler water. I transited Tampa to New England in July and the red tide was awful. Bad enough to make you sick.
Old 23-08-2018, 13:56   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Hillard--

The trip is kind of a no brainer. However, from Tampa you'll need to spend several nights enroute because of timing issues at the passes.

From Tampa, head down to the Skyway Bridge and make your way into the Manatee River to an anchorage near DeSoto Point. In the cove on the south side of the River if the winds are south easterly, or near the north shore of the River, across from the cove, if the winds are northerly or north westerly. In either case, you'll want to time your trip so that you make it to the anchorage by about 1400 to avoid the late afternoon storms.

From the DeSoto Point anchorage, head down to Venice for an overnight at The Crows Nest. You'll want to time your departure from Tampa Bay so that you arrive again, by or before about 1400. For the sake of simplicity/safety leave the Bay through the Southwest Channel, south of Egmont, rather than attempting to head down the ICW to the Longboat Key Bridge/Channel; or, attempting the swash channel north of Anna Maria. In both cases, the channels have moved around due to the storms last fall and you won't want to be a "Pioneer". If you can, try to time your arrival at the Venice Jetty for slack tide to make mooring up at The Crows Nest a bit easier although the dock hands there are quite good and will help you moor up. The Crows Nest is a nice stop and the restaurant is quite good. The food is the same on the ground floor and up-stairs but the up-stairs service is "white linen" and more expensive to no good advantage (IMHO).

From Venice you'll want to time your departure to arrive at Boca Grande Pass at slack water. There's plenty of water in the pass so the state of the tide doesn't matter but the tidal streams can be a pip especially with the wind opposing the stream so you'll want to avoid that if at all possible. (We've seen more than one boat rolled down to her beam ends in that Pass.) From there is Burnt Store is an easy passage and you should have no problems. If it's late in the day and you're concerned about storms, you can anchor just south of the Pass, if the winds are westerly, on the east side of Punta Blanca Island, which forms the east side of Pelican Bay, just south of the entrance to the Bay; or, if the winds are easterly, on the west side of Useppa Island, just east of Cabbage Key.

It's really not a bad trip (we've done it often) but you do have to time the flood/ebb in the passes and shoot for slack water.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 16:33   #5

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Why not take it in one shot? Don't bother with Venice. It's a lousy stop and if you go to the marina where the slips are perpendicular to the inlet/Gulf, you'll rock and roll on any westerly and be deafened by the dumb music. The anchorage around the bend has room for a few boats and you'll do a Chinese twist all night from the currents. I've sailed that passage countless times and never worried about the currents or the tides. The only concern is if there is a strong westerly (20 plus) with big waves coming in from the Gulf and you're heading in from sea into the Boca Grande Pass. It is big and wide and there's protection/anchorages to the N/S. Pick a good day. Get up early and leave. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 23-08-2018, 20:39   #6

Thanks guys,
I appreciate your guidance here. My inclination is to wait for a good weather window, leave early and do the trip in one day. I’m actually somewhat south of Tampa at Cortez Cove marina, so it’s a real quick jump to the gulf. Only have 1 bridge to contend with.

Looks to be about a 13 hour straight shot. Unless I have very favorable winds, would probably just motor the whole way.

Bad plan or should I go ahead and do a stop at Venice?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 24-08-2018, 05:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Done this many times on charters and deliveries.

Assuming you are single handing- load the boat and get underway mid-day. Sleep off Egmont Key and head south 5 am or so. Yes, there are better spots to sleep- but this is a delivery. If you want to run through the night, then just go. Depending on your draft-if it is “bumpy” the pass to the south of Egmont may not be an option.

I know the Jen 44’s have an air draft (with vhf) of right at 65’. So be sure of yours before electing the ICW option.

IT IS IMPERATIVE that you know the approach to Burnt Store Marina. There is a sandbar IN THE CHANNEL that grabbed my Tartan 33 with her 4 1/2 feet of draft.

Regarding red tide- I discovered when I raced kayaks through that area and again on a delivery, wet a bandana and wear it cowboy style. While dry cotton does not filter the tide, when wet it will.

If you want a Capt that has done it, let me know.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 05:39   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Haven't been to Burnt Store Marina, however, we've made the trip from Cayo Costa / Pelican Bay to Longboat Pass numerous times. All in daylight hours. Heading up to Burnt Store will add, at least, a couple more hours.

We will still be getting afternoon thunders storms next week, so you will have to keep an eye on the weather. If you leave Cortez before sunrise you should be fine.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 07:49   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

" Only have 1 bridge to contend with." Hillard

Hillard,
Why wait for the Longboat Pass bridge to open? Why not stage off the NW tip of Anna Maria Island in settled weather and pull your hook at daybreak? You're going back North a bit but there's no chance you'll get stuck at the Longboat Pass bridge during a.m. rush hour which is very busy. And, although we've been through the bridge countless times, it is very narrow with a fairly strong current and is sloppy when the wind is against the tide. You can easily do 6.5 knots motoring in your boat and can easily do the run in less than 12 hours or put up your feathers on the a.m. east wind and p.m. afternoon wind and have a nice sail. There are no problems on this run in good weather. Good luck and safe sailing. Rognvald
Old 24-08-2018, 08:24   #10

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I've done this several times, and even moored at Burnt Store for a year. Going outside, once past Egmont Island, head south roughly 65 nautical miles. Approach Boca Grande pass after leaving the MOA to your port, after that the channel is well marked. There is a shoal that sweeps off the southwest of Boca Grande and it bears southwest approximately 4 miles and it is shallow. Burnt Store Marina is 10 miles east of the MOA, and has a narrow entrance that is well marked, but stay to the red side going in. Friendly staff and good prices on fuel.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 09:51   #11

Boat: Island Packet 350

All good advice here; I've done this trip numerous times also and doing it a variety of ways. The one thing I would avoid ever doing again is staying in the ICW past Venice. Very tedious and slow going! I've used Longboat Pass with a draft of 4.5 ft. with no problems as well as the Venice inlet.

One final thought; if there is a blow, getting in and out of the slips at Crows Nest can be a little hairy. But as stated earlier, the deckhands there are good and offer a lot of help.

Regards,
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 09:54   #12

Boat: Freedom 32

I’m almost half way on your route in Sarasota. We canceled a scheduled Charlotte Harbor cruise over Labor Day weekend due to the severity of the red tide. In 38 years here I have never seen it this bad. It’s not just a coastal event. It extends more than 12 miles out with the surface covered with decaying fish and the respiratory issues that go along with it.

Suggestion: delay your trip.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 14:06   #13

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I've done this several times, and even moored at Burnt Store for a year. Going outside, once past Egmont Island, head south roughly 65 nautical miles. Approach Boca Grande pass after leaving the MOA to your port, after that the channel is well marked. There is a shoal that sweeps off the southwest of Boca Grande and it bears southwest approximately 4 miles and it is shallow. Burnt Store Marina is 10 miles east of the MOA, and has a narrow entrance that is well marked, but stay to the red side going in. Friendly staff and good prices on fuel.
There is a military ops area (MOA) outside of Boca Grande Pass?
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 05:34   #14

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Ive done thhis route several times. with Red tide Just go far off shore as you dare. You have a wondeful boat. Long boat has just been dredged and thhe channel is straight as a arrow the gps shows the old south to north route. bride opens on demand. yes i would go anna maria and go all outside. With the on shore winds we have been having its a cake walk !
All the best
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 06:20   #15

Great input from everyone! Many thanks to all.

I actually considered postponing the move due to red tide, however, the cost consideration over-ruled that idea. Airline tickets already bought, the slip at burnt store already paid and I doubt that the shipyard would allow me to stay longer.

Just had new mast/sails/rigging installed, new dodger/Bimini tops, generator installed, hull buffed/polished and new bottom paint. Boat is looking prime.

So, weather permitting, trip is on for sometime next weekend.

I believe that my 1 day vs 2 will be decided by the tide. The shipyard is slightly off the channel. I’m told I’ll need to leave on a mid/high tide to get to the channel.

So, plan is to review weather and tide when Im there. If both favorable, will leave early and do a single day trip, staying far outside to avoid red tide.

If tide doesn’t allow me to go early, then I’ll split the trip in two with an anchorage at Venice and hope the red tide isn’t horrible. Worst case, start gen set, close up boat and run a/c overnight.

Thank you for all your advice! This forum is amazing.

Mark