Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 04:54   #16

Re: Tablet for navigation

Which sony xperia do you have? Can you post a link? I read an old sony xperia z4 review that stated it was superb in direct sunlight.
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 05:22   #17

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

[QUOTE=OnTour;1836096]I use an IPad but can't see it with polarized sunglasses :-(

I have run into this same problem with both my iPad and my Garmin. This may sound silly, but you need to tilt or rotate either your head or the display. You can see the brightness change and probably get it so the display completely disappears. It is annoying but easy to work around.

The light emitted from most displays is highly polarized, so when viewing them through polarized glasses you have to be lined up just so. At some point I want to do a post on this in much more detail. I learned all about this when I repaired my very old depth gauge with some recycled material from an old lap top screen.
Old 29-05-2015, 07:00   #18

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotter View Post
Which sony xperia do you have? Can you post a link? I read an old sony xperia z4 review that stated it was superb in direct sunlight.
Z2-SGP521-4G not as bright as Z4 but but enough for my eyes. The difference is only 2 DIN's speaking with photography terms so hardly recognizable with eye sight.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 10:35   #19

Boat: Amel-Kirk, 11m/36feet

After having spent many hours, I'm computer illiterate, searching for tablet mainly for nav. internet, not for entertainment, I've come to decision to buy Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 10", 16GB +ext. up to 64....250$, I think new.
Could someone more experienced evaluate it?
For me it seems to be OK
And thank you all, dziadek Jacek
Dziadek Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 13:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziadek Jacek View Post
After having spent many hours, I'm computer illiterate, searching for tablet mainly for nav. internet, not for entertainment, I've come to decision to buy Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 10", 16GB +ext. up to 64....250$, I think new.
Could someone more experienced evaluate it?
For me it seems to be OK
And thank you all, dziadek Jacek
Take care you get the model with 4G..
Old 29-05-2015, 13:58   #21

Boat: Club Sailor; various

I too am cosidering a new tablet because my cell phone carrier is practically giving them away. My current cell phone screen (Samsung III) is worthless in broad daylight and consequently I am concerned about the resolution of various tablet models/manufacturers.

It doesn't seem like any of them have the same daylight visibility of a hand held garmin and I don't want to purchase a tablet only to find out later it's just a larger version of my ineffective cell phone screen.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:03   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
I'm not sure how polarization works but on our Spanish Virgin Islands trip last week my friend and I were both wearing polarized sunglasses side-by-side and were using a Raymarine running Navionics charts and an iPad running Navionics app right next to each other. I could see both clearly with my polarized glasses. When I turned my head sideways I couldn't see them anymore. My friend was the opposite. He couldn't see them unless he tilted his head.
One of you had (cheap?,) incorrectly made sunglasses with the polarising lens cut and inserted 90° out of orientation. They will not be reducing glare off horizontal surfaces such as water, they will be reducing glare off vertical surfaces such as windows.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 17:23   #23

Boat: Amel-Kirk, 11m/36feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Take care you get the model with 4G..
Why? I'm not going to use tablet to telephone ...if I have wifi internet I can skype, can't I?
Dziadek Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 23:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziadek Jacek View Post
Why? I'm not going to use tablet to telephone ...if I have wifi internet I can skype, can't I?
You need it for the GPS to work, no need to get the SIM card if you don't wan't it.
Old 30-05-2015, 04:15   #25

Not sure about that particular model but I don't think you need any of the phone functions for the GPS to work. Down load your charts when you have wifi, just uses the GPS receive independently while at sea.
Old 30-05-2015, 04:40   #26

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
Not sure about that particular model but I don't think you need any of the phone functions for the GPS to work. Down load your charts when you have wifi, just uses the GPS receive independently while at sea.

Many Apple models don't have GPS at all unless you buy the cellular-enabled version. Once you have a GPS-enabled version, you don't have to actually use the cellular capability.

Android tablets usually are the other way: GPS enabled, whether you have cellular capability or not.

Different business models, or different engineering solutions...

-Chris
Old 30-05-2015, 05:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Many Apple models don't have GPS at all unless you buy the cellular-enabled version. Once you have a GPS-enabled version, you don't have to actually use the cellular capability.

Android tablets usually are the other way: GPS enabled, whether you have cellular capability or not.

-Chris
Don't count on it, most wifi models get their positions from land based data networks... Thou I'd like to know which ones have real GPS, that's of course if there're some.
Old 30-05-2015, 06:38   #28

Old Asus tablet (don't remember model ) Apple iPad Air and older iPad 2 or 3 all have true GPS receiver functions built in. At least the ones I have do.
Old 30-05-2015, 07:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Don't count on it, most wifi models get their positions from land based data networks... Thou I'd like to know which ones have real GPS, that's of course if there're some.
Where Google location services are concerned, if enabled, your position is determined from surrounding wireless and network towers. If you have enabled your GPS, Google will use it too.

If you own any android device with a built in GPS, the GPS will work independent of wireless and network towers. There are two types of GPS built into android devices. One produces nmea data, the other provides "positional" data that must be converted to nmea data for programs that use nmea data only.

I cannot say conclusively, but my impression is newer devices are adopting the 'positioning' scheme over nmea output. Have no clue why.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 07:43   #30

Boat: C&C 34, 34 feet

I too use the iPad Air 2 with InavX. I have all my boat instruments including AIS repeated over WIFI and iNavX integrates all the data. I augment my Raymarine E7D with it, and I love the fact that I can watch the Radar on the iPad. I typically only use it in the cockpit at night entering a new harbour. I also agree with the Lifeproof case as my first iPad went swimming (at the dock as I was loading gear on the boat).
I use the combination of iNavX, Ayetides HD, DragQueen and as a backup use the Navionics app. New apps appear all the time.
Truemettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation