Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 06:17   #31

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64
Re: sw florida to cozumel

Moontide..

Hopefully you have received my request for transit of Bahamian waters as well as the government approval.

Unfortunately I cannot paste a pdf into this forum or I would do so that others could review.

Perhaps you can share this information.

BTW currently passing Long Island. Only vessels seen since leaving Punta Cana DR have been 7 cargo and tanker vessels.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35   #32

When Mexico opens....you will need a Zarpa to get into Mexuco. US Customs and Border Patrol will help you at an office near your port of departure. Very shallow in Cozumel, and we couldn’t find marinas for our depth. Suggest just across on the mainland at Porto Morales. El Cid marina is modern, helpful and can set you up a shipping agent. We naively thought we could navigate the check in process with our crew list, passport copies and temporary Mexican insurance.....but it won’t work for you either. The shipping agent for $350 US will place tips to appropriate offices, and Customs, Immigration and Sanitation will show up and your boat and check you in within 2-3 hours. You’ll need the TIPS if in Mexico for more than 10 days, and the shipping agent can do the paperwork (difficult to do on your own). If you change locations, you’ll need s Zarpe from your departure port captain, to clear into the destination port. Belize is closed, but has great locations if you watch depths closely. Water is deeper near Placencia (compared to Belize City.) Watch Youtube Espanol or buy Rosetta Stone before you go,
Fair Winds.....
Terry and Melissa, sv Privateer III
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:00   #33

Before you worry about the sailing, make sure you understand the customs and immigration. You have to get a Zarpe from your port of departure. It's a very big deal so go to noonsite:

https://www.noonsite.com/place/mexico/formalities/

You will also not be given much time to get a temporary import pemit for your vessel. We could not get one in our port or entry, Isla Muejerus. Had to take a ferry to Cancun. I would get this by mail before you go.You must tie up at the customs dock and stay aboard till they come and give you permission to go to their office. The inspector board wearing gloves and a mask and this was 5 years ago. We had come from Key West. I highly recommend Isla Muejerus. Great livaboard community.

https://www.marinadelapaz.com/faq-it...tay-in-mexico/

As for your weather question. The Yucatan Straight can be very nasty and you will want most likely want look at a grib to determine where to cross and how much to adjust your for the time you will be in the current. I recommend a routing service. Whenot we went, there was an advantage to going a good ways north of the west end of Cuba where the stream had started to make the turn from northerly to easterly.
Love Mexico with USA food prices at the grocery.

Wish you fair winds and friendly seas
saildale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida