Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 15:39   #1

SV transport

Considering purchasing a 40 ft sailboat with a 5 ft draft that will need to be moved from the west side of Michigan to the west coast of Florida. Would like to do the western great loop if possible as it seems the least expensive option. If anyone has any experience or suggestions they would be much appreciated.
Mommasails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: SV transport

Why??? There are a good number of boats on the east coast that would likely be less challenging and less expensive to move.

Of course if you are looking for someone...
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 06:09   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I would highly suggest checking out this group:
https://www.greatloop.org/

A friend of mine just did the passage on his 47'er and had only a few concerns, but really enjoyed the trip, as there were a couple of others doing the same thing at the same time, so more or less they did the trip all together.
Old 24-01-2021, 06:21   #4

I assume you are implying it would be a trip for you to take. As opposed to paying someone to take it down.

It you are just paying someone to get it down to Florida, look into trucking as it will be quicker and likely cheaper.

Now back to you taking it.
- Your boat is fine size to make the run.
- You will need to pull the mast at Chicago. We strapped it on deck, so figure out how that will work with your boat or plan to pay someone to truck it down.
- Make sure the motor is in good running order. With currents and barge traffic, a wonky motor is not a good idea. If you can fit a suitable mount, dingy motor that can be deployed at a backup is a good idea.
- What's the range of the boat? From St. Louis to Kentucky Lakes, there isn't really a good fuel option, so you want something around a 250 mile range.
- Lots of fenders and do a little practice close quarters maneuvering. You will be going thru many locks and in many places it makes more sense to use marinas rather than anchoring. By the time you hit the gulf, you will be much better with close quarters manuvering.
- In theory, you could be at the Gulf in 2-3 weeks. If you aren't pressed for time, I would head out around the beginning of September and take 2-3 months (further south you get, the less weather is an issue)

Any specific questions?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote