Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 16:41   #16

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Suitable Anchorages in the St. Lawrence River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe a north shore thing??? Definitely some (most?) marinas dried out or got very shallow during low tide from below Quebec City through past Ille aux Coudres. I watched a group of local boaters purposely dry out on a sand bar Ille aux Oise south of QC. Pretty interesting… Seems like a common thing for local boaters. I never had the guts to try it though.
Ile aux coudres does dry out! However Cap A Lagile? Does not. and from here it is an easy run to Tadoussac or further to rimouski on the S Shore. I think once past Tadousacc on the North shore your good all the way. I would give Port Meniere on anticosti a miss! (steel pile u shaped harbour used for loading pulp wood. lots of dead heads floating around high tides and no way to climb up to shore unless you have a ladder! Best to go to Havre St. Pierre or the anchorage on the North side of Quarry Island. mooring balls and a short walk out to flower/animal pots. Baie Cacaooalic? another good anchorage then 70 miles across to Bay of Island NFLD.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:56   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Ile aux coudres does dry out! However Cap A Lagile? Does not. and from here it is an easy run to Tadoussac or further to rimouski on the S Shore. I think once past Tadousacc on the North shore your good all the way. I would give Port Meniere on anticosti a miss! (steel pile u shaped harbour used for loading pulp wood. lots of dead heads floating around high tides and no way to climb up to shore unless you have a ladder! Best to go to Havre St. Pierre or the anchorage on the North side of Quarry Island. mooring balls and a short walk out to flower/animal pots. Baie Cacaooalic? another good anchorage then 70 miles across to Bay of Island NFLD.
That’s what we found. There were a few more further upriver as well. It was that section starting around QC, going around Ile aux Coudres that the marinas were this way — this is where the tides were the most extreme. By the time you hit Tadoussac they’re back down to a reasonable 12-15 foot if memory serves me correctly.

It was just something that caught me by surprise. I had done a lot of research on the journey, but somehow missed this little drying out situation. It had no effect on us since we anchored all the time through this area. We stopped at Baie Comeau to resupply.

We did anchor (moor actually) in Mingan at Quarry Island. Gorgeous place. I’d like to go back. We jumped across from there to Bay of Islands, bypassing Anticosti and the rest of the north shore.
Old 21-04-2018, 09:01   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

This has been very helpful information and insights from everyone and I greatly appreciate the effort. My problem with all electronic charts is that we have been hit by lightning three times in the last ten years on Lake Michigan(never once in ten years in Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean) which took out all of my electronics. What do you do then with no paper charts to determine your position? Also, I have always navigated with paper charts and honestly trust them more than electronic charts. So, I'm going to eat between $1,600. to $1,900. in paper charts before leaving. Also, thanks for the info on the North Shore anchorages since we want to anchor the entire trip as we have done previously. Once I get the charts/Coast Pilot, I'm going to look at those more closely. Any additional thoughts and comments are welcome since our departure date is May 29th. Thanks, Rognvald
Old 21-04-2018, 09:35   #19

rognvald, I think I’ve attached here an export file of most of the anchorages we stayed at, or seriously considered, on our journey. It’s an export from iNavx, and opens for me in Google Earth. Hopefully you can make sense of it.

I’m happy to tell you what I can about where we stayed, and what we encountered. Our route followed the north shore once we were past Tadoussac.
Attached Files
File Type: kml waypoints.kml (28.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 16-08-2019, 08:56   #20

Boat: Flamingo 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
rognvald, I think I’ve attached here an export file of most of the anchorages we stayed at, or seriously considered, on our journey. It’s an export from iNavx, and opens for me in Google Earth. Hopefully you can make sense of it.

I’m happy to tell you what I can about where we stayed, and what we encountered. Our route followed the north shore once we were past Tadoussac.
Thank you,

Can this file be use on Open CPN?
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by svRaison d Etre View Post
Thank you,

Can this file be use on Open CPN?

Glad to help.

I really couldn't say. I've never used that program. I suppose you could transfer the data manually if you had to.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, enc