Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 23:14   #1

Suez

Does anyone have an idea of the transit cost via Suez canal for a 15M private sailing cruiser please?
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 02:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rough Total Cost Estimation Canal Transit for average cruising sail boat was reported to be around US$ 450 in 2005.
On Dec. 30, 2007, it was announced that Egypt will increase Suez Canal transit fees by an average of 7.1%, starting in April of in 2008.

SUEZ CANAL TONNAGE CALCULATION & FEES ~ by Stephen Davies
Goto: Abu Tig Marina El Gouna

Formula used:

(L x (0.5G+0.5B)squared) x 0.17/0.18
100 (if in feet)/2.83 (if in metres)

L = LOA (strictly length between the inside faces of stem post and stern planking)

G = girth (measured as the distance from the point of maximum beam on the upper deck on one side, beneath the hull at right angles to the center line, to the point of maximum beam on the upper deck on the other) - this usually goes under the keel, so centreboarders should have theirs up!

B = maximum beam

0.17/0.18 = factor depending on whether construction is in 'wood' (0.17) or 'iron'
(0.18) 100/2.83 = factor depending on whether measurements are in feet (100) or metres (2.83)

An approximation of likely tonnage without measuring can be got by calculating G as:
G = 2(square root ((D+F)squared + 0.5B squared))
D = Draft, F = freeboard at point of maximum beam

On top of that there are the usual fees such as: Port Authority Fees, Bank charges, Port clearance, Quarantine, Immigration, Customs, Explosives and drugs check, Insurance, Duty stamps, Agent's fee.

From Noonsite:
Suez Canal Transit and Pilotage Fees will be indicated by the Suez Canal officials who board the yacht on arrival and measure the yacht; varies from US$100-200. Also Port Authority Clearance fee; Quarantine Fee; Immigration Fee; Insurance Fee; agency fee. Fathi Soukar (Prince of the Red Sea) is the agent with the best reputation and who handles most cruising yachts in Suez.
He normally monitors VHF Channel 16.
Tel. + 20 62 222 126,
Fax. 330 965,
e-mail: princers@gega.net

All agents' and Suez Canal fees must be paid in US dollars, therefore some cash should be carried.

And a humorous calculation (and more info') from our own ' maxingout '
aboard Exit Only
< Welcoming to Maxing Out >
Goto: David's Journal 9

" ... There is a complicated mathematical formula to assess the fee for each vessel that transits the canal.
Most cruisers have trouble understanding the formula, so I had the fee adjuster break it down for me….here it is:
(length of boat) x (width of boat) + (number of people) – (number of camels seen by the canal director while driving to work on Tuesday) x (amount of calories in slice of Sara Lee cheesecake) + (the square root of 58…it’s the fee adjuster’s lucky number) x (cubic volume of engine room) = Cost to transit canal ..."

The Med Red Rally web-site may also have some up to date information:
Med-Red-Rally.com | Welcome to the Med-Red-Rally 2008 website !
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 05:25   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
The measurer runs a piece of line from your deck level one one side, around the bottom of your keel and back to the deck on the other. He measures the distance to estimate the charges. He had me hold one end of the line, and for some strange reason it kept slipping off my fin keel and only measured the bottom of the hull....he finally gave up and it cost me $200 to transit for my14m boat, but I suspect it would have been more like $400 if the measurement had been accurate (score one for Klondike, at least 10 for the eGYPtians).
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote