Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 10:56   #16

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: Successor to ActiveCaptain?

I've found the same thing, AC data is getting rather stale. Garmin screwed the pooch big time on this one I think, but that's a different thread.

I would update more often but I feel like I'm the only one. Almost all the data in the North East is from '16 or earlier. Maybe it's better down south, but there Waterway Guide is also better.

I use it on the Navionics App and PC. Haven't tried to update using Navionics yet.

Waterway guide has almost no presence in the North East US.

Checked out cruisersnet and its similar to WG, not much north of the Mason Dixon. Also, their app doesn't seem compitable with newer versions of Android (Pixel 3 is a no-go right now).

I think Waterway Guide is probably positioned best to be a successor to AC, but they need to promote their crowed sourced platform to get that critical mass. Also, allowing users to create their own markers would be helpful. Not all items of interest (i.e. shoals) are represented.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 11:26   #17

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Whatever navionics etc links to.

I get the garmin thing, but until garmin tries to start charging money for AC, I’ll keep using it.

Also does garmin have bad blood with apple? Autocorrect keeps trying to replace garmin or say it’s a misspelling?
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 13:41   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
AquaMap gets regular updates but I haven’t checked in a while.

OK, I just tried to write a review for the yard I’m hauled in. I get the message:

I’m sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later.

I think that’s the same message I got the last few times I tried.
In the Aquamaps settings there is an Active Captain update
Old 16-08-2020, 14:20   #19

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I liked AC when I could drop a post in with the mouse on my Nobeltec platform at the relative point on the chart. It's too much trouble to go online assuming you are in range of WIFI. I think Garmin bought it to drive everyone to their navigation program, and it appears that it has worked for the most part. Early on, Garmin only charted 250 mile offshore. I think AC was open to several other nav systems besides Nobeltec. Now when I update AC in Nobeltec, I don't get pictures, anchorage notes or other data that was posted. Miss that.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 19:52   #20

Boat: Tartan 28

I use and update AC all the time from Navionics on my ipad.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 20:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Well, for one thing, fuel, mooring and dockage prices change. It's a bit of a pet peeve that some folks will do a review, but not include the price. Of course that's not the only factor, but it IS an important one. Maybe I don't need a "resort" marina where the concierge brings you towels by the pool. But if it's the same price, and it's not out of my way, maybe I'll consider it.

The reality is, up and down the East Coast the past couple of years I'm seeing massively obsolete data in AC. Places closing down, new places opening up, anchorages which have become mooring fields, municipal free docks which have become marinas, and fees being instituted or going up everywhere.

This year I've finally gotten to the point where AC data is doing more harm than good. Going miles out of my way for something which no longer exists is worse than just winging it on my own. Even sand bars DO move over time.

Waterway Guide does seem helpful sometimes, and there are other sources mentioned above which I'd be happy to support. But to really capture enough data to be helpful, there needs to be a critical mass of active users submitting reviews and reporting prices. Maybe cruisers have just gotten lazy and this is an unattainable goal.

It doesn't have to be just one source. Two or three would be fine. But what we have now is NO go-to source for near real time, unbiased reviews and prices.

What you are describing is what we all experienced before AC came about.

Even with it (AC), the basic sources would and should be considered.

What's the big deal?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 21:05   #22

I don't get the reluctance to update a 10 year old info even if to say that it's still relevant or correct. I certainly would not assume that it is just by extrapolating the 10 year lack of updates as confirmation of nonchange.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 04:43   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I've found the same thing, AC data is getting rather stale...

I would update more often but I feel like I'm the only one. Almost all the data in the North East is from '16 or earlier. Maybe it's better down south, but there Waterway Guide is also better.

Waterway guide has almost no presence in the North East US.

Checked out cruisersnet and its similar to WG, not much north of the Mason Dixon. Also, their app doesn't seem compitable with newer versions of Android (Pixel 3 is a no-go right now)...
This is what I'm seeing - very limited and spotty data on all the alternatives mentioned. Also, some of the apps and sites I've tried are very clumsy, or flat out don't work on some platforms. Credit to Jeff, AC worked well and by the time he sold it, had absolutely the most complete and up-to-date data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I don't get the reluctance to update a 10 year old info even if to say that it's still relevant or correct. I certainly would not assume that it is just by extrapolating the 10 year lack of updates as confirmation of nonchange.
Well said. I know some cruisers don't feel the need to have a resource like AC. That's OK. I personally found it very useful. If you didn't, then by all means, just bypass this thread.

But apparently enough did that they took the time to help keep it up to date. For whatever reason, that has almost completely stopped (except for SailorBoy, of course.)

Those former active contributors are the people I'm trying to reach. I thought maybe you'd all found a new place to update, and I was just late to the party. It would appear not.

So, the question remains: Which platform(s) do YOU think we should all make an effort to go out there and start posting current information on? At this point I don't care which one. What's important is that we share it somewhere.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 06:07   #24

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

Active Captain still works for me. I use the Navionics app on phone and iPad and for trip to the Bahamas last year and in Florida now the info and reviews seems fairly current. Why not continue using / updating AC?
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:26   #25

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We are still big believers in ActiveCaptain and still contribute to it. We're east coasters.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:58   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Maybe the updates don’t appear on AquaMap?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:48   #27
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Maybe the updates don’t appear on AquaMap?
Mine have.
Old 17-08-2020, 09:57   #28

I would not consider lack of NEW posts to be an issue. How many posts do you need to see indicating that "The holding is good", or "Gets rough when wind is out of the North" do you need to see?? Or, how recent?

Unless the cove was moved by management, or a breakwall was installed, it will always be "rough when wind is out of the north". We don't no recent affirmations to reinforce this. At some point he content becomes 'mature' and the only additions required are updates or changes. "Pulled in and the anchorage is now filled with moorings", or" the entrance has shoaled to 3 feet at MLW".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:08   #29
CLOD

on a little related thread drift

the posts that I find useless to me and my 6'4" drift boat are the ones that say

"lots of water, we had 2' under the bottom"

what good really is that if they don't tell the boat draft?

I also find over 1/2 the hazard posts on the ICW about shoaling are really because 4' draft power boats think they "in the channel" if the depth is 6', which is way out of the channel so of course they go aground on the curves
Old 17-08-2020, 10:19   #30

I just checked "Waterway Guide" out this morning.

I can live with it over Active Captain from now on.

Tags
captain