Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 10:05   #1

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 27
Stupefied question.?.

I have heard different things about anchorages. Are anchorages on the ICW free? I thought they were, but then I read something last night about paid anchorages? Clearly I am new to cruising. Doing my research but sometimes get conflicting information. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 13:11   #2

Re: Stupefied question.?.

It depends. I hope you understand that you cannot anchor in the ICW channel. Depending on how far outside the channel you go, and where you are, it is certainly possible to end up in a place where you would have to pay to anchor.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 13:18   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

I cruise the ICW. I have never seen or heard of a place where you pay to anchor. You would have to pay to tie up to a mooring ball in most cases because they are owned by someone (marina or city) and they rent them out.

There are some places where anchoring is prohibited (very few) and as noted above, you can't anchor in the channel because you would be obstructing other boats.

There are several good books describing and listing safe anchorages on the ICW. I suggest buying one and reading up so you have a better understanding of where to anchor. Check these out:

https://www.tgboa.com/
Old 03-03-2015, 13:25   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Not sure where exactly you are talking about? I can think of one or two, but that's it. One is No Name Harbor (just south of Miami). There is also an area in North Lake Worth that is supposed to have anchoring fees. Just anchor outside that imaginary line where everyone else is.

Many other areas with moorings offer dinghy dockage, showers, etc., at no additional fee (other than the mooring charge). If anchoring near these mooring fields, you can use the docks and facilities, but will have to pay for the luxury (Boot Key is one example). Maybe this is where some of your confusion comes in?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Over the last 25+ years we have been in and researched almost every anchorage along the ICW. No Name Harbor in Key Biscayne is the only one that charges to anchor and that is because it is a State Park. There are hundreds and hundreds of anchorages available from Norfolk to Key West. Things may change in Florida as to where you can anchor, but there will be no fees involved other than tied to a mooring. Let me know if you have any other questions. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote