Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 03:13   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Stuck in West End

so we've had a bit of an odyssey. We left grand Bahama day before yesterday with a decent forecast for a crossing. We had previously broken our alternator mount which I had jury rigged back together until I could get somewhere we could have the part shipped. About 11am a mile from the edge of the bank our jury rigged mount recracked. I decided to be prudent and head for west end. It was about this time we stared hearing NOAA forecasts for t storms with damaging winds. Sure enough the wind dropped completely as we sat like ducks as a huge front rolled through. I've never seen anything like this front. Sustained winds of 40 knots, the air was cycling between 50 degrees and 80 degrees within seconds, sideways rain, hail, and very large seas that built quickly. We lay a hull but I quickly found we were doing 5 knots under bare poles we blew passed the memory rock pass and couldn't get sea room. we were drifting down on Indians rock shoals. I was able to kind of semi-heave the boat to, quartering the waves on the stern and bring the boat speed down to 2 knots. I grew up in New England where a t storm comes and goes but we were in this thing for two hrs and We were both quite scared. Finally the storm passed leaving us in 25 knots sustained winds and choppy seas I put out a scrap of gennie and made for west end through the torturous India cay pass. Not something I wanted to do but we had no choice. Couldn't really get up wind.

We made it through and are now stuck in west end with no end in sight. This place is obscenely expensive. The wind is supposed to shift to the east 15-20 with 6-8 foot seas on Monday. But I don't really feel all that comfortable making the crossing in that not knowing what lies across the stream in the Florida bar entrances. Ugh. Looking for an anchorage.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-04-2015, 03:36   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Stuck in West End

Yeah that was quite a front, I assume Chris would have predicted it down to the hour though? Looks like NE changing to E Sunday will be a lot lighter than Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 04:10   #3

I'm seeing e 15-20 on Monday seas 6-8 on NOAA. Is that not what you have? I think I would go for it but my poor wife is a little shell shocked after our little debacle.

Old 30-04-2015, 04:44   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I'm seeing e 15-20 on Monday seas 6-8 on NOAA. Is that not what you have? I think I would go for it but my poor wife is a little shell shocked after our little debacle.

Passage weather is showing 25 for Monday so I think it's going to be windy. So less Sunday with a little north in it or lots Monday from the east. You could wait depending on your schedule. Keep checking and be ready to go as it will change for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:55   #5

Boat: Hunter 37C/Helms27

There's a canal just to the east of West End. It no more than 3 miles and it offers anchorage in a sheltered canal that's under development with few houses. We've anchored there waiting for weather to cross with no hassle. The entrance is well marked and the channel in is dredged to 20'. Not many people now about it because it's not on the Explorer or other charts but can be seen on google earth.
Pilotocopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:09   #6

Stuck in West End

Fyi another boat that got damaged in that storm that is in the marina with us says they clocked 60 knot winds before their speedo conked out. They had just had a phone call into Chris Parker that morning and he gave them the go ahead to cross the stream. Their son, who is a pilot, was the only one to raise the alarm!

Old 30-04-2015, 09:15   #7

Great depth all the way in and wide canals. Holding is questionable because its a dug canal but shouldn't matter because you're sheltered from everything and it didn't matter for us. Security guard keeps an eye on the land part but never gave us trouble and we were with three other boats.
Old 30-04-2015, 09:27   #8

Any way to fix your alternator mount? Do you need to be back?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:53   #9

While in West End before you move you may want to ask the maintenance dept at the marina/resort if they can weld your bracket. Otherwise there may be someone in the town of West End that may have a welder. I know of welding shops in Freeport but its a bit of distance from where you are. This is my home island so ask away.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:04   #10

You have a decent weather window between Friday and Saturday. If it were me I would be leaving Friday evening for an overnight or early Saturday am (4-5) for a late landfall but still within daylight into Lake Worth. The NE winds look calm enough with .5-1 meter waves and no forcast of rain or squalls. Otherwise no weather window into next Thursday that I can see. Wavetrain Friday and Saturday out of the NE but nothing to write home about.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:23   #11

Don't know where those storms come from; however, one hit me just as I through a line to one of the OBB dockmasters. We had just traversed Indian cut, and were lucky enough to secure the boat; however, we were on the west wall in the marina, and well heeled over. That evening we were regaled with stories and sights:

1.) That morning OBB was inaugurating its new EM vehicle with all sorts of local dignitaries on hand. The tent enclosure had blown down injuring a number of folks who got to be the first ones to use the new vehicle.

2.) A man was walking up and down the docks muttering to himself. When I asked about him, someone told me his cat was struck by lightening and his wife now refused to board it.

3.) When my wife (at the time) was walking about with a grim face the next morning, one of the dockmasters chided her saying she had nothing to complain about. He then pointed out three young people who were in the water at Memory Rocks since ten last evening after their small powerboat sank. The young lady had chemical burns from the gasoline.

The one time I anchored inside the breakwater, but not at the marina, I was told I had to pay for the privilege. This was all back before the Ginn Corp went belly up. Perhaps the new owner operators are more kindly. Before crossing, I'd bite the bullet and get whatever you need flown in to Freeport.
shonorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 12:52   #12

If you're a member of the Royal Marsh Harbour Yacht Club, you get a discount at OBB.

jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:49   #13

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

Assume u are still there...I'm trying to cross from FL and don't see a window yet. Maybe Wed or Thursday???
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 13:07   #14

Boat: jeanneau 39i

can you give us the Lat/Lon of the entrance of the development canal you mentioned
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote