Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2007, 16:31   #1

Boat: ketch, 51'
Stand alone radar

Greetings all,

I'm looking for a stand alone radar and your ideas would be appreciated.
Thinking of the Furuno 1623 or the JRC 1000.
Stand alone because I don't like all my eggs in one basket... if I loose my gps/plotter I'll still have radar...
Not looking for a ferari either, small economical and reliable, my thought is I only travel at 5kts and do not see the need to see 150 miles out.
Is there a unit that can use a laptop for display? Ant to blk box to comp, and are these more economical?
Thank you for all the good info found on this forum, for the past year we have sailed to Key West to Texas, and God knows much of the information from this site served to make it an enjoyable learning experience. It is like learning to ride a bike when you fall get up and do it again.
We lost a Genoa, ran aground, dealt with 35 to 45 mph winds and rough seas, lost a halyard and climbed the mast out at sea, lost a dingy ... fortunately not all on the same day. We also learned what we had been told before, when the storm hits is not the time to try heaving to for the first time. Boy what a ride, my 6 yo grand daughter only wanted to know if we could do it again!!
OK for all you old salts this does not sound like much but for a newbie like me it has been quite an accomplishment to return to home port in one piece and still afloat. Most important not a MOB, close but no cigar. I might be able to call myself a sailor now.
After sailing from MS to Texas and dodging oil rigs at night we thought a radar might help just a little.

Again thanks to all for shareing your experiences and know how.
Old 28-09-2007, 17:57   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
I owuld talk to boat yards and electronics techs. Sometimes they will remove a perfectly good radar b/c it idoens't do the latest whiz bang thing. Then you can get them cheap. Otherwise if you want new look at Practical sailor.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 18:14   #3

Mario,

My advice is to go for redundancy, but I would still consider an MFD, but use a backup inexpensive GPS. You dont have to get the charts in a MFD and it can be a radar... you can add radar, or AIS and of course GPS link up to speed log and wind instruments... if you want.

The interesting and powerful thing about MFDs is that you can over lay the data from several devices such as radar on charts with AIS. This is great for collision avoidance.

My 2 cents

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 04:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Not looking for a ferari either, small economical and reliable, my thought is I only travel at 5kts and do not see the need to see 150 miles out.
Is there a unit that can use a laptop for display? Ant to blk box to comp, and are these more economical?
You are working two things that don't go together. If you want a standalone unit then this is exactly what you don't want. The new trend is total intergration of instrumentation using the new bright marinized daylight display pannels. All really nice but not very inexpensive unless you want it all brand new and then it might be better. There are complete package deals now that make the new stuff better and more reliable. This however is exactly not what you say you want.

You might look for some of the old Furuno MD811 dome radars that had the flat black and white LCD pannel. We had a 24 mile unit with the display on a swing arm so it could be in the compaion way or the nav station. It could also display basic GPS information as well as radar via NMEA bus. It didn't integrate with the computuer or any thing. You can still get parts for the domes and that technology is still pretty good. The displays being LCD are not as sharp but still quite good and reasonable power given the dome takes a lot (they al do).
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 12:19   #5

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Here is just what you are looking for FOR SALE: RAYTHEON RADAR AND RADOME .

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 15:36   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Raytheon's newer units have VGA out ports that will connect to a monitor.

If you want a standalone unit because you do not want it to bring down other devices such as your GPS then you need to re-examine things. Integration does not mean everything is reliant on one device...it only means they have the capacity to share data. With multiple screens and other forms of duplication it would be hard to lose all your electronics unless your whole DC system goes down or you get hit by lightning taking out everything...which is a good reason to learn celestial navigation.

Nice thing about sailboats..you can still keep moving if you lose all power. With a sextant, a compass, sight reduction tables, a nautical almanac and a cheap Casio watch...you can still get to where you are going. Look Ma...no power!
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 22:15   #7

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I bought a JRC 1800 which unfortunately has been discontinued but I can tell you I checked all the reviews I could get my hands on regarding JRC radar, and the best review was out of an English Yachting magazine called Practical Boat Owner (in my opinion for boat owners of less than 35 feet, the best boating mag out there - here is a link - Practical Boat Owner home – marine advice on sailing and maintaining your yacht or motorboat ). The reviewers basically panned the JRC 1000 but liked the JRC 1500; its only a couple of hundred bucks more.

If you aren't familiar with JRC they are a huge company, google them, and you'll surprised at how big they really are. Some have suggested they might be getting out of pleasure boat radar. Interestingly, these guys are the grand daddy of radar companies, but they mostly provide large commercial radar units and don't advertise in the Yachting mags like the other companies so many are not familiar with them.

osCommerce
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar