Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2018, 08:50   #1

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer
Space Port Camden impede Georgia ICW?

Anybody know what's up with the USCG reviewing the proposed navigation security/safety zone on Space Port Camden being proposed near Cumberland Island GA. Looks like the Atlantic ICW cuts through this zone and might have impact on traffic. Having cruised through earlier this year, it seems like this would really impact cruising if boat traffic was held at either end.

Spaceport Camden | One Hundred Miles
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 08:06   #2

Re: Space Port Camden impede Georgia ICW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Breeze View Post
Anybody know what's up with the USCG reviewing the proposed navigation security/safety zone on Space Port Camden being proposed near Cumberland Island GA. Looks like the Atlantic ICW cuts through this zone and might have impact on traffic. Having cruised through earlier this year, it seems like this would really impact cruising if boat traffic was held at either end.

Spaceport Camden | One Hundred Miles
The USCG is holding a hearing on the safety zone on September 27. Don't see any comments that can advise what the impact on the ICW may be. I'd had to be transiting and find the ICW closed and unable to make the next port.
Old 24-09-2018, 08:10   #3

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/20eab5c
Old 24-09-2018, 12:40   #4

I have never been navigated the ICW and I'm not familiar with the area near St. Andrew Sound but I have been following the development of various public-private launch facilities in the US. The Camden area was once considered as a site for the Apollo space program many years ago. There has been testing of solid fuel rockets in that same area in the past, and a small rocket launch has already occurred there. The primary launch company is named ABL Space Systems, a group of former SpaceX engineers.

As far as I can tell, the FAA's environmental study didn't yield anything that they thought couldn't be offset by other means. The site is next to an existing landfill that some locals are concerned could be disturbed and cause runoff into the adjacent river. The USCG is in its assessment mode. Their request for comments for the establishment of a safety zone for mariners has been posted:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...en-woodbine-ga

It's a short document but it clearly states that the frequency of launches is expected to be 12 per year, during daylight hours, with a single night launch possible in the same period. They also mention 12 static fire tests related to the scheduled launches. The safety zone proposed basically overlays the launch site eastbound, over the ICW and offshore out to 13 nm, if I'm reading it correctly.

According to the document, "For launch activities, the safety zone is anticipated to be in effect for approximately four to six hours for medium-large launchers, but not longer than 12 hours. For small launches, the safety zone is anticipated to be in effect for two to three hours. A safety zone for rocket test activity is anticipated to be in effect for approximately 60 minutes or less."

If I had to guess, the launches would be scheduled well in advance and would probably work similar to the areas around Cape Canaveral. I would think that the activity would be posted on a publicly accessible website and appropriate radio broadcasts would warn mariners in advance.

I've attached an edited image of NOAA chart 11504, and a Google Maps screenshot of Pompey Island, GA, which is adjacent to the launch complex. I am really curious to see this industry open up. There's another launch site in southern Texas that Camden County is hoping to match in terms of business and tourism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camdenspaceport_pompey_island_georgia.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	177898   Click image for larger version

Name:	noaa_chart_11504_stAndrewSound_spaceport.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	177900  

knotstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 18:02   #5

Boat: Shannon 28 Cutter, 1979
Re: Public comment thru 2/8 - Space Port Camden impede Georgia ICW?

The Spaceport Camden County is soon becoming a reality, with a broad safety zone proposed that would block ICW traffic from St Andrews sound south to mid-island Cumberland - at least ONCE PER MONTH at their discretion. And as we know, delays and reschedules are common in this business which all together will disrupt boat travel and make planning to pass through here a nightmare.

The federal government has exempted many environmental requirements and the future is now moving to local and state officials. DNR GA is receiving comments THROUGH FEB 8th - for more info and to submit a comment:

https://onehundredmiles.org/spaceport/
Shannon 28 Hull#14
Jacksonville, FL
tosman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia, icw