Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 15:40   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-2
South shore of Long Island, New York

There seem to be many people asking about the south shore of Long island, concerning the various inlets if you sail past outside. So i thought I may pass along some info I have learned over the years, and some recent conditions. As a disclaimer, I will say any inlet can be dangerous, so proper planning and timing is essential, even for the easier ones. Please do your research! Rockaway Inlet is wide and is one of the easier passages. There is a bridge not too far in, but shows 54 ft. on the chart. Goes in Jamaica Bay and Sheepshead Bay. Good protection. East Rockaway I have not been in. Looks not too bad, but there is a bridge showing 6' clearance not far inside. You may be able to anchor just inside if necessary. Jones Inlet is another of the better inlets to enter, being wide. You can go on the inside from there all the way to Shinnecock Inlet if you draw 4' or less and less that 55' tall. Fire Island Inlet can be tricky, but is very popular to use due to its location. They just moved the channel to the east side, very close to Democrat Point. Follow the bouys! That change probably not on charts yet, as it was completed last winter.I know several who have gone out recently, had no issues. There is the breach near Bellport that was created by Hurricane Sandy. NO GO! It is officially closed to navigation, and there is very shallow water inside. Moriches Inlet was also just dredged last year, but officially you are not supposed to use it. Insurance companies still won't cover you if you incur damage trying to use it. I have been through there on a perfect day on a friends boat. Trying to find the deep area between the shallows was a little nerve wracking. But we made it. Glad it wasn't my boat! Shinnecock Inlet I was just in last month. It was fine, but we timed it well. I have seen those waters in quite a turmoil! Be careful out there, hope this helps.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 17:35   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Re: South shore of Long Island, New York

Rockaway inlet - watch the sand bar West of Breezy Point. It's shallow and waves can break over it. It is well charted though. The bridge inside is there Marine Parkway Bridge. It is a lift span bridge that does still work (allegedly). There's not many places to go inside anymore though.

East Rockaway - good inlet again now that they dredged this winter\spring. Follow the channel in. The Atlantic Beach bridge opens on the hour and half hour during the summer. It can be slow to go up, and the current can rip through there, so be mindful of that before you commit to going through the bridge before it's fully open. Just inside is Banister Creek. You can anchor in there but the entrance is really shallow at low tide. From here you can travel all the way to Fire Island inside.

Jones Inlet - DO NOT go through the channel at 1-2 & 3-4. Go west of it by 100 to 200 yards and renter the channel at 5. There's shoals on both sides and waves break there at low tide. With a 6 foot draft, give at least 2 hours before or after low tide, 1.5 with a 5 foot draft. Go slow and watch your depth. Once past the 5 there's plenty of water. There are a few spots to drop anchor, but there are tons of idiots that have no clue how to boat in that area, including professional captains. The CG said they had to find equipment with a shallow enough draft to dredge, and should be clearing the sand bar from the channel next month.

Fire Island - haven't been in there in a while, but once you get in, Sore Thumb is a nice anchorage once the power boaters leave for the evening. Hug the rocks on the entrance, it's very balls narrow, but marked on the charts.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 18:01   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: South shore of Long Island, New York

Timely advice, thanks. I was just comparing Fire Island and Shinnecock to choices inside Long Island Sound.

We will stop in Atlantic Highlands to reprovision and catch up laundry then make the inside/outside decision. Our goal is the quickest route to the Cape Cod Canal limiting daily runs to 60 miles or so. We will take time to visit favorite stops around the area in more detail our way south in a couple months.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island, new york