Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 21:02   #121

Re: South Pacific Island discovered......to not exist!

Isnt there a joke thread that the moderators can put all this nonsense over too and let the people that are intersested in Cruising learn something? Jokes are fun, but have nothing to do with the OPs question._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:22   #122

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Perhaps that's because their livers are still suffering from eating rich food late the previous night.
Been my experience that it is not the rich food their livers are suffering from. Especially if the dinner never gets past the apperitiff stage till after midnight! Ricard has laid many a Frenchmen low. My brother as well for that matter, but he refuses to mix water with it.

Quote:
Personally I'd take a café-au-lait and a croissant from a next-door bakery in a heartbeat, over a glazed doughnut injection moulded in a distant factory, and a cup of what some Americans puzzlingly refer to as though it bore some resemblance to coffee.
I agree with you there, but a doughnut or croissant does not a hearty breakfast make. I was thinking more of eggs benedict, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, sausage and eggs, etc. In other words "breakfast". In English I suppose it would be "break fast" compared to petite dejuene "small meal".

Quote:
Hmmm - neither do the French. I'm pretty sure it's "Nouvelle Orléans" but if masculine it would be "Nouvel Orléans"
I confess I never formally studied the language. My daughter writes it much better than I do in fact I often ask for her help if I must formally write it. Having said that the people who live there call it N'awlins, but I have yet to find that on a map. Which brings up the question. Why do we translate or altogether change names of countries and places? They are proper nouns so why would we translate? For example last I checked people who live in Spain call it Espana, and where did Germany come from?

Back to topic it appears there is an island on a map that is not nor ever was there because the water is too deep. So it is either a deliberate mistake or just a mistake. Is there anymore to add?
jeanathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:28   #123

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Only that I agree with 'andrew regarding the brown liquid americans refer to a coffee. I can only assume some mistake was made in translation way back when. Coffee is not dirty dishwater or anything remotely resembling it. And I'm afraid Starbucks hasn't learned how to make yet either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 11:16   #124
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Now how do we make fun of those gun toting, tax dodging Jersians?
Jersians? a new one on me - We are either Crapauds (pronounced "Crappo" - which is local lingo for Toad!) or Beans (after a previous industry - the growing and picking of).......one of them is a term of abuse, I can never remember which one ..........Feel free to use either, I have a thick skin!......just be prepared for incoming in return (all(?) within the CF play nice rule obviously ).

Just to clarify, although our gun laws are fairly liberal (not UK style ) most of us are unarmed, and surprisingly I don't get murdered and raped too often . Hell, I haven't even locked me dinghy for years. Certainly in my case I have never needed to kill anyone locally, albeit sometimes oh so sorely tempted......

.....Tax dodging?, I can certainly attest to the fact that we do have a tax dept . Sometimes that 20 pence in the pound can really suck . Just as well me company tax rate is Zero . and no CGT nor IHT (if that latter one comes on the horizon I do have plans to buy a gun and accelerate matters ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:39   #125

Dave,
The Brits call the French Frogs, but you are called by the French word for toad, interesting and/or ironic.
As far as the taxes I was referring to the company tax rate. Almost set up a business there to take advantage of it, but alas I did not and do not really know the ins and outs.
Your humour is a pleasure to read. That is why I was baiting you. Truth is all our countries can be made fun of and should if it is based on truths, least we take ourselves too seriously.
ps. I have a friend who drove a half track down the streets in Jersey with no experience for a V or D-day celebration. Scared the crap out of him.
Old 28-11-2012, 03:49   #126
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
ps. I have a friend who drove a half track down the streets in Jersey with no experience for a V or D-day celebration. Scared the crap out of him.
Probably 9th May - our Liberation Day. Jersey held out a day longer than Berlin / the rest of the 3rd Reich (We have always been kinda contrary - some of that must have rubbed off on the Jerries ).

Another snippet of pub quiz trivia - one of our "Tax Dodging" residents (ex UK) was instrumental in financing development of...........the Spitfire (my bet is that if the money had gone into general UK taxation that it probably would not have done the same).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 10:29   #127

Let that be a lesson to us all. We can spend our money better than the taxman!
Here is a bit more info about Sandy the nonexistent gal.
The Island That Doesn't Exist
Old 28-11-2012, 14:38   #128

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Let that be a lesson to us all. We can spend our money better than the taxman!
Here is a bit more info about Sandy the nonexistent gal.
The Island That Doesn't Exist
But it does exist. It's just marked in the wrong spot. 1º-14.507' N X 103º-50.260' E
Old 29-11-2012, 03:18   #129

Maps of Sandy Island through History, satellite altimetry and also modern nautical maps on :
Marine GeoGarage blog

--Peio
Peio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:09   #130

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peio View Post
Maps of Sandy Island through History, satellite altimetry and also modern nautical maps on :
Marine GeoGarage blog

--Peio
Best link in the thread!!! Thanks!!! Still don't know "saw" it first, but it's been around a long time and in LOTS of publications!
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 03:03   #131

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Best link in the thread!!! Thanks!!! Still don't know "saw" it first, but it's been around a long time and in LOTS of publications!
First seen by 'Velocity' 1876
On a 1908 British chart
See
The mystery of an island that isn't there | Auckland Museum blog

Sandy island is in the NOAA coastline free downloadable package, hence its popularity (e.g. Zygrib grib viewer)
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 13:25   #132

Quote:
Marine GeoGarage blog

--Peio
Good to see someone actually posting about the subject!

We knew (well, were pretty sure) the island didn't exist, had spoken to people who had sailed very close to the location, and saw nothing, but I still wasn't game to sail down our rhumbline and straight across it (according to the chart)! Especially as we might have been arriving there at night.

I guess you get so used to believing the charts, it's hard to ignore them.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12   #133

Claimed to be an error by Australian whalers in 1876. Or so the German news tells me.
Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30   #134

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Marine GeoGarage blog

--Peio
Great blog, have joined now thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:21   #135

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
I agree with you there, but a doughnut or croissant does not a hearty breakfast make. I was thinking more of eggs benedict, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, sausage and eggs, etc. In other words "breakfast". In English I suppose it would be "break fast" compared to petite dejuene "small meal".
The verb déjeuner means doing the opposite of jeuner, which means fasting. So déjeuner is "breaking the fast" or "breakfast" depending on its use as a verb or a noun.
"Petit déjeuner" is thus the small breakfast, where the main breakfast (grand déjeuner) is usually had at noon. Lunch is what it is called in countries that often just skip it...
For me breakfast is usually just a bowl of muesli. Eggs, sausages etc for breakfast are sadly incompatible with my aim of keeping my BMI healthy.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote