Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2012, 14:29   #31

Re: South Pacific Island discovered......to not exist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
CM93
15 NM of unsurveyed area...

See on CF
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1090503
CM93 is riddled with coding errors and Jepessen is not the charting authority in the area. Jeppesen merely encodes the data belonging to others - at haste and with a lack of professionalism!
Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 14:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
<snip> and America's founding father's got most of their political inspiration from the French Revolution.
<snip>
I am aware of a different history... that is that the French Revolution came AFTER the American Revolution..... (1789–1799) by most conventional sources.

and... after American independence... and after the French Revolution, American and France were all but technically at war. One of the reasons for this 'quasi war' was the refusal of the new American Nation to repay the French nation loans that had been given to the Americans. The excuse was that the money was owed to the deposed King, not the French nation....
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 14:43   #33

Boat: O'Day 28

Does Papeete really smell like sewage? Oui? Non?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 14:44   #34
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzyD View Post
I am aware of a different history... that is that the French Revolution came AFTER the American Revolution..... (1789–1799) by most conventional sources.

and... after American independence... and after the French Revolution, American and France were all but technically at war. One of the reasons for this 'quasi war' was the refusal of the new American Nation to repay the French nation loans that had been given to the Americans. The excuse was that the money was owed to the deposed King, not the French nation....

Sure, but both revolutions were inspired by French thinkers and writers. Are you honestly suggesting the French didn't play an important role in the American Revolution? Or that the two countries don't have two hundred odd years of history as close allies in many ways? Look at the Statue of Liberty for instance. The present habit of a certain set of Americans of portraying the French as some sort of effeminate pansies that turn and run at the first opportunity every time really burns me up. It is not supported by history, and it's just unpleasant and unnecessary, especially considering the relationship our two countries have had. There are lots of French members of this forum, and I would not like the "French warships shoot flaky gay croissants" comment to represent the sole American viewpoint on this forum. I think that's just a poor attitude.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 14:50   #35

Quote:
Why is it always some guy from Alabama that has to disparage other nationalities on an international forum? Remember America would still be a British colony without the French, and America's founding father's got most of their political inspiration from the French Revolution. Not to mention Napoleon conquered most of the world at one point, the French mostly single handedly held off the Germans for most of WWI, I could go on and on. Most of the worlds most respected and advanced military schools are still in France. They have a long and glorious military history that frankly puts the very short and fairly inauspicious military history of America to shame. Writing all of that off because of WWII and the Vichy government is just childish, it's that "we won the war for you guys-again" attitude (when as usual America just showed up for the finishing rounds to get in on the glory), that makes some Americans unwelcome in parts of the world. Read some history. We as Americans owe the French everything, and WWII just starts to square that debt. Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite!
Really!!!???

Interesting that the guys who took the beeches during World War II wouldn't necessarily agree with you. As the history books are written, there were Germans holding France when the Americans (and other nations) arrived at those beeches.

I know there was French resistance, those are not the ones I'm aiming at.

Also, it was a joke, but evidently you are part of the 10% who have no humor, or can't find it.

Also, if I never made it to France, I wouldn't shed a tear. I have nothing for the French, they are almost as arrogant as most Americans.

James L
Old 22-11-2012, 14:54   #36

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Sandy Island... A CIA conspiracy?

Its the place that the American nuclear sub ran smack-dab into a few years back.
Google "nuclear sub crash into mountain"
Old 22-11-2012, 14:56   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
Really!!!???

Interesting that the guys who took the beeches during World War II wouldn't necessarily agree with you. As the history books are written, there were Germans holding France when the Americans (and other nations) arrived at those beeches.

I know there was French resistance, those are not the ones I'm aiming at.

Also, it was a joke, but evidently you are part of the 10% who have no humor, or can't find it.

Also, if I never made it to France, I wouldn't shed a tear. I have nothing for the French, they are almost as arrogant as most Americans.

James L

To each their own. Personally I would love to go to France, and would certainly not want to piss of the French sailing community in general by posting such a comment here. It may have been a joke, but it's one I don't find at all funny, and one that I've heard far too often in the last decade. I'm guessing our French members (if any of them read this) were not entertained either.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 15:00   #38

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

What happened to the Island?

Now it's disappeared from the forum.
Old 22-11-2012, 15:05   #39

Re: Sandy Island... A CIA conspiracy?

As is too common in cruising guides, some numbers probably got transposed in some official publications. The island probably exists, just not at that location, the publication was probably official enough that the error has considerable lifetime. Google's islands seem (to me) to be pasted down manually and not as part of some global photo scan.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 15:37   #40

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Thread drift to address political differences was not allowed in the past. I got slammed for it before so I know.

Please don't disparage another's nation. We have members from all nations and they are welcome here. Whether you agree with their politics or not is not the reason we have this forum. We're about sailing, boating, liveaboard and cruising.

kind regards,
Old 22-11-2012, 17:42   #41

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
I'm guessing our French members (if any of them read this) were not entertained either.
At least one... We certainly deserve to be made fun of... But French bashing /thrashing painfully reminds me of the darker and evil side of a fraction of the
denizens of some countries...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 17:47   #42

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Does Papeete really smell like sewage? Oui? Non?
Don't you mean Pago Pago ?
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 17:55   #43

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Don't you mean Pago Pago ?
Well,I didn't but I'm curious. My Papeete question was serious as I thought I may have read that somewhere, possibly here. And it seemed the thread was effectively over.

I surmise Pago Pago does smell that way from your comment.

Bummer. Another paradise ruined.

My bible, Wickipedia, says tuna canning is a major industry. That can't help.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 17:58   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

personally i think it was a CIA plot,to decieve their wives who thought the agents were on government bussiness when actually they were here.................

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 18:16   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Seriously??? We are better than the way this as has turned.

I was in the area northwest of the solomons and found an island that I have yet to see posted on any chart. I was running a private dive charter from a Russian Research Vessel and with state of the art (1999) electronics and exceptionaly qualified officers and crew. We had a radar return and there again was nothing charted, we anchored and had a great dive. The reports were sent, Admirality, USN, NOAA, etc... I have yet to see this charted. I still have the location on an old etrex gps.

This does happen and please be kind to those that have a honest interest.