Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2022, 08:26   #1

Simplified solution

Ok here are heaps of info on other post that gets way above my needs and computer skill that want me to run for the hills.
So to explain what I am looking for and what you gents/ladies would advise.
I'm not looking for fancy satellite images and all the in my eyes distracting information.
Looking for basic charts with depths that I can plan and navigate safely across the world without internet offline. (AIS only potential add on but not a must)

Plan is for 2 setups excluding maybe any plotter the yacht have that I will buy.

1. For Laptop for planning routes, Program and charts for biggest coverage of world (offline)
2. Tablet for navigating. Program and charts that works offline

Thxs
ocean5ail5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 16:24   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Simplified solution

For item 2 why not just used a chart plotter?
Old 21-05-2022, 16:37   #3

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I use OpenCpn with GPS on the laptop mainly because it has satellite images. Its nice to see the shallows and the reefs, and any structures that might be on land or towns that the navigation charts don't have. Its also nice to compare it too our navigation software.

I use Navionics downloaded on our tablets and phones. It has worked well for me from San Francisco into the Sea of Cortez. I have not found anything inaccurate enough to worry about.

Sam
Old 21-05-2022, 23:31   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

No mention of backup paper charts (at least small scale)? Oh I guess your batteries never go down and your electronics are indestructible....
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 23:41   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have 2 iPhones, my regular phone, and old one with no sim card. I use iSailGPS and it seems to works really well for me. I prefer it over Navionics myself. You can download the charts you need before getting out of cell range. I'm sailing coastal here. I have paper charts too, and I'm not letting go of them! I do refer to the variation(s) shown on the charts in the phone app.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 02:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
For item 2 why not just used a chart plotter?
Biggest reason for not calculating plotter is cost to get charts for basically biggest part of world will be above my current budget.
Old 22-05-2022, 02:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
No mention of backup paper charts (at least small scale)? Oh I guess your batteries never go down and your electronics are indestructible....
I would prefer to have paper charts for whole world but that is not viable also to update paper charts of whole world is basically impossible.
Will definitely try to source paper charts also whenever possible.
And if whole system breakdown there will also be no gps so will need all my 25+ years maritime experience LOL.
That are the nice thing I like about Tablet backup battery if ever you have a total system breakdown.
Vessel will defiantly have multiple sources of power.
Old 22-05-2022, 03:25   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean5ail5 View Post
Biggest reason for not calculating plotter is cost to get charts for basically biggest part of world will be above my current budget.

One way or the other to get good up to date nautical charts either electronic or paper you will pay. Charts are not free outside the US in general
Old 22-05-2022, 03:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you're a good scrounger, you can find used paper charts of anywhere pretty cheaply: I've sailed long and far with photocopied charts at 3/4 scale. New charts ARE expensive, but even so, with the hundreds of paper charts I've bought, I've still spent less than the cost of a chartplotter or even an Ipad. I don't see how people can complain about the cost of paper when they'll drop thousands on electronics, then thousands more on backups.
Paper: no backup necessary. No fuss, no mess, no layers, no failures, no bugs. Cheap, reliable, safe. What's not to love?
Old 22-05-2022, 03:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If you're a good scrounger, you can find used paper charts of anywhere pretty cheaply: I've sailed long and far with photocopied charts at 3/4 scale. New charts ARE expensive, but even so, with the hundreds of paper charts I've bought, I've still spent less than the cost of a chartplotter or even an Ipad. I don't see how people can complain about the cost of paper when they'll drop thousands on electronics, then thousands more on backups.
Paper: no backup necessary. No fuss, no mess, no layers, no failures, no bugs. Cheap, reliable, safe. What's not to love?
I do love them paper charts, but must say if entering tight areas alone nice to have electronic chart showing vessel on the chart.
Old 23-05-2022, 03:06   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean5ail5 View Post
I do love them paper charts, but must say if entering tight areas alone nice to have electronic chart showing vessel on the chart.
No doubt. Just be aware that there's lots of places where that tactic ended up with the screen showing the boat in a channel while the boat was actually grinding itself into the reef beside the channel.
Old 23-05-2022, 04:23   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Simplified solution

Quote:
No doubt. Just be aware that there's lots of places where that tactic ended up with the screen showing the boat in a channel while the boat was actually grinding itself into the reef beside the channel.
Or the boat sailing along a nearby ridge while you are actually in the Canakkale heading for the Sea of Marmara..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 04:24   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Only if you don't get your head out of the cockpit and actual keep a proper lookout.

(And have you ever looked at the ZOCs (Zones of Confidence) on a paper chart?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZOC.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	258195  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 05:05   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Only if you don't get your head out of the cockpit and actual keep a proper lookout.

(And have you ever looked at the ZOCs (Zones of Confidence) on a paper chart?
Which sadly, many people don't when they have a screen to stare at.
Kudos to those who do.

I'm aware that many paper charts are laughably inaccurate. But there's less tendency with paper to stare at the little icon moving on the chart because there isn't one; you're naturally more drawn to looking out when plotting on paper.
Old 24-05-2022, 05:14   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I'm aware that many paper charts are laughably inaccurate ...
Where do electronic charts get their data?
All charts are based upon the same basic Source Material:
ENCs can be encoded directly from original survey material, databased information, from existing paper charts, or a combination of each.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote