Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34   #1

SeaClear II Questions . . .

OK I'm a newbie to SCII. Picked up a copy to play with on my home computer. I downloaded it to C drive. During the process a message said my computer didnt recognize the soft ware... but appeared to down load it anyway. Then a list of Chart areas appeared to click on and download. (East COast US, Carribean etc)
  • I downloaded East Coast US, but then could never get back to that screen to download others...??
  • I have an icon on my desktop, when I click on it I get a world map and can clik on that and get a chart. when I scroll on that chart and get to the edge... is there an easy way to get to the adjoining chart?
  • Is there a list of charts to peruse and just clik on the one you want? (I found a list, but it's just dumb list)
Just thought I'd ask before rummaging around trying to find things that arent there....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39   #2

Boat: Freedom 32
Did you use Mapcal to install your charts into the Seaclear Charts directory?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
It doesn't sound like you went to the normal Seaclear download page. I would remove the version of seaclear you downloaded and go to SeaClear GPS Navigation Software to download the program.

For easy downloads of the East Coast charts try this NOAA SITE and download by Coast Guard district.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50   #4

Mapcal?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58   #5

Cheechako,

It may be time to read the manual that came with Seaclear. Follow W32PAMELA's advice above to get the full Seaclear free. After you download NOAA charts (you want RNC charts) use Mapcal to install the charts and you will have seamless navigation.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02   #6

Yea, I'm going to re load and try to read the manual. I was also having trouble turning any pages on the manual, so the load must not have been complete. Thanks all and I'll come back after I work some more on it. Still... are the features I mention above in there?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08   #7

Yes,
MapCal will load a chart list that you can group however you wish.

When you get to the edge of a chart with the cursor you will see the cursor change and you click to load the next chart. It has a pop-up window which, among other tasks can take you back to the previous chart.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:53   #8

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
You can also cut and paste charts into the Folder that holds the World Map that comes with Seaclear.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 15:40   #9

I have downloaded Seaclear from the link and printed the manual. I still dont see any way to get back to the screen that lets me select what charts to load that are within Seaclear. The manual has a section on installing charts, including Mapcal, but seems to be focused on screen dumps, scanning, file conversion etc. Nowhere does it mention how to load the charts that are within Seaclear...? I only have access to the East COast US still.
Old 11-10-2009, 16:14   #10

Have you loaded any charts into Seaclear yet? there should be a pull down menu to allow you to load different charts. If you haven't loaded any new charts into the proper folder in Seaclear you will only be able to access the charts that came with Seaclear.
Old 11-10-2009, 16:35   #11

I cant find that pulldown menu...DOnt see it under right click or under tools above...?
Old 11-10-2009, 16:52   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I cant find that pulldown menu...DOnt see it under right click or under tools above...?
It's in mapcal tabs up on the left.
Go to system folder open seaclear folde and open map cal. Don't have my laptop here but that's what I recall
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 16:56   #13

Forget mapcal! Under the Main Seaclear screen that comes up --Go to the top right corner where it says FILES---click on Files for drop down menu.
Old 11-10-2009, 17:06   #14

Also look for the Seaclear add on's Seatrace and Sea Track Edit for more capabilities.
Old 11-10-2009, 21:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have downloaded Seaclear from the link and printed the manual. I still dont see any way to get back to the screen that lets me select what charts to load that are within Seaclear. The manual has a section on installing charts, including Mapcal, but seems to be focused on screen dumps, scanning, file conversion etc. Nowhere does it mention how to load the charts that are within Seaclear...? I only have access to the East COast US still.
Cheechako,

Seaclear does not come with any pre-loaded maps of any use - just 3 generic maps - no value in navigation.

Assuming you did a standard, full install, you must now go to the NOAA web site and download RNC charts for whatever state you wish. These are free nautical charts covering the USA.

Once you have the charts downloaded and unzipped you must run Mapcal. To find Mapcal go to C:\program file\Seaclear and find the application file named MapCal_2. Click on it to start the program.

Click on the Tools tab, then click on Set Directory. You must set the directory path to the directory that has the .KAP file which is a sub-directory of the NOAA file you unzipped.

Now, under Tools, click Autoload list, then Scan for New Charts, then click Autoload List again, then Update. Your map is ready to use in Seaclear.

Repeat for each chart you wish to load. You may also add mulitple lines to the Set directory command to do multiple charts at once.