Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 12:59   #16

Boat: pilot cutter
Double click on the edge of any chart will usually load the adjoining chart automatically, if you have that chart loaded in your chart directory. SeaClear will also load adjoining charts automatically as you approach the edge of the chart you're on.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 13:59   #17

I have a CD I purchased for Seaclear II ($6). It has a list of charts and asks if I want to download each area. (West Coast, Pacific, East Coast , Carribean etc...) or all. I tried to download from the link above and got no charts (which you now confirmed why!) SO I deleted all my previous attempts and re-loaded the CD, this time I checked "all charts" and it took about 15 min's to load them all. However, I still dont have the charts of the Carribean!, but I have east coast, west coast and the Bahamas.... So I'm hacking my way through it. The double clik works on the edge of chart until I'm at the south of the Bahamas.. then no result.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 14:04   #18

Thanks Rising Star.... looks like exactly what I needed to know.!
BTW: what does "diesel free" mean? have you gone hybrid?
Old 14-10-2009, 18:57   #19

Boat: Freedom 32
Cheechako,

There are no free Bahamas charts, at least none I could find - and believe me I have looked since we are going there in a few weeks!!

Diesel free means I took out my crummy diesel engine and put in an electric motor with batteries for power.
Old 14-10-2009, 20:46   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Only US NOAA charts are free. All other charts covering the world you must purchase at significant prices or if you can find another cruiser who has a library of traded raster navigation charts you can beg, borrow or buy some from them.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 04:57   #21
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Only US NOAA charts are free. All other charts covering the world you must purchase at significant prices or if you can find another cruiser who has a library of traded raster navigation charts you can beg, borrow or buy some from them.
The only other raster charts I have found for free are for Brazil. The link in my signature has the link along with instructions for navigating the page for those of you that don't read Spanish. It's in the second table, first block.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 09:21   #22

My CD has bahamas charts but they are large scale and just an overview really..... No details
Old 15-10-2009, 13:15   #23

Has anyone used sea clear on a apple system
stxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:35   #24
cruiser

Cheechako don't know where you are but I'm at the monkey with a machine gun level in that I have learned to operate computers but no programming skills etc. If memory serves me the fastest way to get charts into Seaclear is to have then on the hard drive when you install SC. SC will then scan for charts and load them. All you really need are the .kap files if you are limited on space. Of course you still want to be able to add the normal way. I also run SC on a itty bitty Asus eeepc running eeeubuntu and Wine and it works well and uses very little juice. I plan on taking several because they can be had so cheaply though I also want one of Bob's PC down the road prolly with a SSHD.

Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 19:40   #25

Guys, you can buy on-line the little "hockey puck" 20 channel GPS's from China for $20-30 each. They plug into your USB port and are powered by your computer. I have several and they work great. They were designed for the automobile road map programs.
Old 19-10-2009, 09:05   #26

Chart Annotation...

2 disclaimers: First, I'm sorry if my rudimentary search skills missed an already posted question and answer... Next, if any mods have a problem with this as a cross-post or duplicate post, feel free to pull one or the other. I've posted the same thing in the OpenCPN sub-forum, as I'd like to know how to do it in that package, as well as here to see if it can be done in SeaClearII.

On to the actual post!

Is there a way to "draw a line" on the NOAA RNCs to use for reference when plotting ship's position? In this example, NMFS and the State F&W office have created a set of lat/lon waypoints and called them the "40 fathom line" which is then referenced in fishing regulations (ie: fishing for pacific halibut inside the 40-fathom line is permitted beginning ....)

I can input the series of waypoints as given, but how do I then connect them and visually display the "line" on all charts when it's in view according to zoom and scale?

I do assume we're talking about creating a "route" and displaying the route whether it's active or not (not in my example.)

Possible?
Thanks in advance...

-Case
Old 19-10-2009, 09:14   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxboy View Post
Has anyone used sea clear on a apple system
Yes... Just after I paid for MacENC, I found SeaClearII that did the same thing (better, IMO) for significantly less $$.

Your Mac needs to be Intel based, not a PowerPC processor. There are several virtualization or emulation programs out there (Parallels Desktop, etc.) that will let you run Windows XP (or Vista...ugh!) from the Mac Finder. I've taken the free route, however, and I rely on BootCamp to dual-boot my Mac laptop... When I want to work in MacOS, boot it up. When I need to run SeaClear (or one of the 3 other apps I use that are Windows only) I reboot from the Windows side of the machine and have at it...

I've not encountered any issues so far, save one: I usually do my surfing and emailing when booted as a Mac. If I click a link or download new charts or updates, they're not visible to the Windows system since windows can't read the HFS format of my Mac HD. I'm too lazy to reformat everything to use NTFS or a Unix format that both can read, so for now I just have to remember to be in Internet Explorer before I download any new charts!

-Case
Old 19-10-2009, 19:14   #28

Cancancase - #26 - One of the "break points" between the free and low cost Nav programs seems to be in the routing, waypoints, and "marks or notes" that can added to the maps (lat/long referenced). The much more expensive systems as these features to entice folks to "step up" to their systems. I do not know if SeaClearII can do multiple route displays or not. Other low cost nav programs I have worked with can only display one active route, nothing more.
Old 23-10-2009, 06:53   #29

Thanks for the help I will try this and get it up and running on the mac
stxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 23:57   #30

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
SeaClear II Tutorials

For those interested, there are tutorials regarding SeaClear II at:

BoatMaine.US

and some of my own here. Unzip the folders and in each folder left double-click on the .htm file.
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote