Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 16:14   #616
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

i would say at 90 days if they did not show up consider them gone.
Old 19-07-2013, 16:21   #617
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
3months. !! , that's far too long , 8 weeks would be enough. Without water humans can't survive long , but of course the sea could have just taken them, that's a risk all small boat sailors take

Dave
Old 19-07-2013, 16:22   #618
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

it does rain from time to time, lol.
Old 19-07-2013, 16:24   #619
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Water will be the biggie.. how soon did they start rationing and have they been able to catch rain water effectively... what's the fishing like down there...
tho' I must confess I was hoping we'd find something this week with the break in the weather.. a sighting.. or even set off the EPIRB if only just to make contact and nothing else... possibly a RAS if they're limping along and still seaworthy..

Strange things happen at sea

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 19-07-2013, 17:58   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
I have been reading the thread for a long time hoping for a good outcome,sadly,(I hope I am wrong) but what we are now looking for is wreckage or bodies.
to be honest the money spent on searching may be better spent on trying to educate other sea fairing people about the importance of ais etc.if you look at the log for example of 'gone troppo' you get a good log of where the boat was last 'seen'.
again my heartfelt comiserations to the family of nina
Old 19-07-2013, 18:22   #621

Everyone must do what makes sense for them. Yes nice if people learn from this...remember the loved ones at home.
Cherie
Old 20-07-2013, 03:02   #622

Can we keep insensitive wording such as "bodies" out of this thread please?

This isn't an episode of CSI - there are families of those on Niña reading this thread seeking help and possible answers.

I'm sure a little tactful wording can be used whilst everyone does appreciate the possible outcomes it doesn't need be spelled out by armchair detectives does it??. t
Old 20-07-2013, 04:53   #623
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamah View Post
This isn't an episode of CSI - there are families of those on Niña reading this thread seeking help and possible answers.

I'm sure a little tactful wording can be used whilst everyone does appreciate the possible outcomes it doesn't need be spelled out by armchair detectives does it??. t
I think a level of reality isnt a bad thing. If the relatives are given false optimism by people like us who know a bit about the sea they may not be able to make appropriate decisions.

By the way, we are not armchair detectives. Some of us have as much experience, or more, than the skipper involved.

To the current theme:
I doubt water would be a problem as most boats tank before any voyage. Food I do see as a problem as boats are lightly provisioned for the run to Australia as Quarantine confiscates a lot on arrival. Not too many want to waste money.

Back to the EPIRB stuff: Its a bit difficult to suggest a coincidence where all three coms systems (EPIRB, Sat Phone and Spot) all failed but the boat still floats.
Conversely, if the EPIRB survives, its more difficult to think that if the boat is afloat the skipper hasnt set it off after 6 weeks adrift even if the boat is in good condition... the 6 crew would have demanded a signal put out to reassure their relatives (there being no requirement to abandon the boat).

Given those thoughts, and NZ SAR, I fail to see theres any reasonable chance of any recovery of crew. More, I dont think there is a possible chance. If there is then the crew will get themselves out of the situation.
I dont think its armchair anything for people on this forum to approach the reality of this situation and thats that the boat is lost and the crew dead. To spend money on searches when the search area would now huge (set to the east .5knot x 45 days x 24 hours) cant possibly be a reasonable spend.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 20-07-2013, 04:58   #624

I appreciate your statements Mark and knowledge.

My objection was to the term "bodies".

All of us are aware of the real possibility
Old 20-07-2013, 05:04   #625
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think a level of reality isnt a bad thing. If the relatives are given false optimism by people like us who know a bit about the sea they may not be able to make appropriate decisions.

By the way, we are not armchair detectives. Some of us have as much experience, or more, than the skipper involved.

To the current theme:
I doubt water would be a problem as most boats tank before any voyage. Food I do see as a problem as boats are lightly provisioned for the run to Australia as Quarantine confiscates a lot on arrival. Not too many want to waste money.

Back to the EPIRB stuff: Its a bit difficult to suggest a coincidence where all three coms systems (EPIRB, Sat Phone and Spot) all failed but the boat still floats.
Conversely, if the EPIRB survives, its more difficult to think that if the boat is afloat the skipper hasnt set it off after 6 weeks adrift even if the boat is in good condition... the 6 crew would have demanded a signal put out to reassure their relatives (there being no requirement to abandon the boat).

Given those thoughts, and NZ SAR, I fail to see theres any reasonable chance of any recovery of crew. More, I dont think there is a possible chance. If there is then the crew will get themselves out of the situation.
I dont think its armchair anything for people on this forum to approach the reality of this situation and thats that the boat is lost and the crew dead. To spend money on searches when the search area would now huge (set to the east .5knot x 45 days x 24 hours) cant possibly be a reasonable spend.

Mark
I think is a fairly accurate appraisal although I feel it is still slightly possible (but very unlikely) they will drift ashore alive.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-07-2013, 05:06   #626
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
To spend money on searches when the search area would now huge (set to the east .5knot x 45 days x 24 hours) cant possibly be a reasonable spend.
Whilst I don't disagree with your analysis of the situation (even if I do still harbour feint hopes) - nonetheless I do disagree with your conclusion. Some things simply need to be done, whether they make sense or not or have little or even no chance of success. In this case I would say that sending out a search (in the air and / or digital) is for some the "crawling over broken glass moment", that moment don't come around twice - and not everyone is lucky enough to even have that opportunity......

....anyway, enough maudlin from me! .
Old 20-07-2013, 05:26   #627

Please make sure your people are stating on the donation form comment box that the monies are for the S/V Nina Search Fund. TES has some money that is most likely for the Nina search, but there was no memo. Those monies will be on hold until clarified to me Nina's. If your friends recieve the Thank You receipt from TES without that memo for nina, then they can bring that to the attention of Barbara or Ralph. Also, please send me a list of family last names and states that you think will donate. This might short cut the questions. I am sorry about the confusion. We are trying to get TES to improve that web page. They do, however, want us to get credit for our donors. Thank you,
Old 20-07-2013, 06:34   #628

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamah View Post
Can we keep insensitive wording such as "bodies" out of this thread please?

I agree. It serves no purpose whatsoever. When it has gone past the world record of about 117 days plus some then perhaps we can "learn" from it.
Old 20-07-2013, 16:25   #629

Clearly I have offended by the sarcasm there. When my grand father was lost at sea granted I was only young but to me he wasn't just a body. He was my inspiration to follow my career path with the Navy.
I shall post no more.
Strength to the families involved in this and I wish all good luck on their journeys on land and sea.
Old 20-07-2013, 16:54   #630

Naamah,

You don't have to leave. Sorry for your loss and its just tough for some of us. Glad you went to the Navy..it would have made your Grandfather proud!

Sincerely, Cherie
Closed Thread