Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 01:18   #16

re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

Hi family of schooner Nina update today nz 14 june.
My mate informed nz maritime search rescue this morning with concerns they are onto it they have contacted Australian search rescue asking for any info that comes in he inturn will keep my posted as we know crew onboard.They where hove to on the 4th for bad weather still in our search area after front went through it became very calm hardly no wind,taking this they would only mybe get to Sydney Australia today the 14th allowing for her speed.They put a new motor in before she left which they only tested for about half an hour not long in our books so mybe they have had a problem in this regard also and as no wind they would have needed to motor.We have had no further news today our time now is 20 05hrs or 8 05pm nz time.
May I suggest you call Australian Maritime search direct by phone they are very good as our guys are here if you remain concerned,US Coast guard would give you a contact phone im sure.
If anybody knows who the person is who posted org post mybe they could draw their attention to this post we can only try and help we are just cruisers.
Old 14-06-2013, 01:23   #17

Nina

Twiggy I can't respond to you in private messages until I'm a trusted member. Whatever that means. David has been in heavy seas since a teen. Nina good ocean going schooner. My concern is their lost of communications. He told me had satellite . Cherie Martinez (Dyche). flygirl01@att.net
Old 14-06-2013, 01:33   #18

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
When they turn up, see if you guys can figure out a better communication plan that deals with your concerns and their realities. Find out if they have an EPIRB, ask them when they'd use it, and ask who the two points of contact are that they registered.
In NZ or Aus they will definitely have an EPIRP. Weather has not been perfect last 2 weeks.
Old 14-06-2013, 02:18   #19

Thank you very much. I think they did have to back things up a bit as just put in a new engine. Please keep me and the other as Twiggy to any info. My husband used to fly in the desert and the hi tech electronics was the first to go :-))
Old 14-06-2013, 02:59   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreamcat View Post
They where hove to on the 4th for bad weather still in our search area after front went through it became very calm hardly no wind,taking this they would only mybe get to Sydney Australia today the 14th allowing for her speed.They put a new motor in before she left which they only tested for about half an hour not long in our books so mybe they have had a problem in this regard also and as no wind they would have needed to motor.
I have no personal knowledge of the area or route, so no idea what the ballpark timescale would be for the voyage - but if the above true (and departure on 28th May) then now on day 17.....if the original (skipper's) estimate of 12 days was reasonable then IMO still well within the ballpark of expected voyage duration. Doesn't need any major events (or very bad weather) to slow down a voyage, wind in wrong direction (or not enough!) plus throw in if the motor was expected to be used (for no wind or to not have to follow the wind to go a more direct course) but can't be used would all contribute.....little bits all add up, the longer the voyage the more they do. Could even be that Skipper decided that pushing as fast as boat could / as originally anticipated not the best of ideas - whether for crew reasons, or just comfort (no point in busting a gut just for the sake of it).

No sign this time next week would perhaps be a different matter (unless of course the voyage is really a 3 week trip, except on a fully crewed racing sled with the weather gods smiling!......but as I said, me NFI on what is a reasonable ballpark timing wise).
Old 14-06-2013, 04:57   #21

I started thread. By way this is the famous Nina. Several threads have said journeys are taking much longer because of bad weather. I will wait to hear as several feeds have relatives on board so don't want to duplicate. Cherie
Old 14-06-2013, 05:00   #22

Thanks, several on this thread have family members on board.
Old 14-06-2013, 05:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Is this the famous, and beautiful schooner Nina', sailed in many Newport-Bermuda races by DeCoursey Fales, and from which his ashes were spread on the race rhumbline. If so, I was aboard her here in bermuda about 30 years ago.

Hope they are doing well.
Same here. I was wondering if this might be the same NINA that my girlfriend use to take sailing lessons on in Long Island Sound back in the late 1970's. Sounds like it.
Old 14-06-2013, 08:03   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

A pic of the boat would be useful (as well as simply of interest!).
Old 14-06-2013, 09:00   #25

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1936847042.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	62532

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-177474294.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	62533
Old 14-06-2013, 09:41   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

So, some sort of Beneteau then

She looks a cracker .
Old 14-06-2013, 09:50   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

With a boat like that only a fool would drive her hard across the Tasman!
I bet they are doing it very tamely and if the weather is at all bad hoving to. Better to be a few days late.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 14-06-2013, 10:14   #28

Yes we just heard after a storm was very calm and that boat needs wind!!! I think more storms n calms than expected.
Old 14-06-2013, 13:48   #29

Re:friends schooner nina

Hi will keep you updated with any news good or bad.The only other bit news is one of crew had a sort of pager which gave her position everyday so as son could keep track of her sailing,we dont know how good this thing is or even water proof but it has ceased to transmit postion, but being electric & we know this & sea water dont always mix dont think we should read to much into it at present.Cheers for now.
Old 14-06-2013, 15:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
When they turn up, see if you guys can figure out a better communication plan that deals with your concerns and their realities. Find out if they have an EPIRB, ask them when they'd use it, and ask who the two points of contact are that they registered.
Hi Rebel heart they should have an epirb agree the family dont seem to know,the skipper does not know these waters the Tasman one of the worst in the world ive done it 4 times he is a sevice boat skipper to oil rigs in mexico im told as I am a retired game boat captain.Im sure if it had triggered the person named would know by now .Ive told them to contact Aussie search & rescue direct,but any news we get this side we will still keep them informed thats what being part of cruising is all about helping.
Closed Thread