Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35   #541

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS

I had a bit of trouble yesterday, and regret not being able to drive the few hours to the vigil in Panama City. Nina was in my thoughts, how was the vigil?

I hope it was a good service, I am glad the rain passed by for the evening.

Peace,
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40   #542

Sorry you couldn't make it. Had bottles to write notes to crew or family to put in the bottle and then they are going to send the bottle to NZ and put in the water there.

Also made a wreath with 7 white roses and a 10 in by 10 inch raft with a mast that had all the ships flags on it and dropped it in the mooring pier that Nina was before it left.

Very emotional watching them floating away.

A lot of media attention.

For those asking for imagery when I receive it from the families I will post it. I am just the updater and passer of information on the forum.

Cherie
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05   #543

Boat: 1979 Willard, Custom, 65'

Cherie,
The vigil sounds like it was lovely. All the friends and family of Nina's crew are in my thoughts and prayers. Still holding out hope for everyone's safe return.
~Melissa
Old 12-07-2013, 14:01   #544

Boat: Lyle Hess 32
I can't vouch for this app however it seems to be OK and it handles GeoTIFF and it's cross platform and it's free!!

http://www.landserf.org/

Others who know about these things could comment on suitability.
Old 12-07-2013, 16:49   #545

Thanks I forwarded your information. Haven't heard back yet.

Thank you kindly Cherie
Old 12-07-2013, 20:45   #546

Boat: Alden Yawl 51'

Response to Cloudsail on Google image
http://goo.gl/maps/rJyrN

Niña's exact location in the Google image at the Whangarei town basin is actually 5 boats to the NW of your locating red arrow. That is her berthed at the front of the line of yachts on that pier. She is positioned adjacent to the green roofed building, and the flagpole and also opposite the entrance to the piers of moored boats to the N. In the image there are no boats in front of her so hopefully it should be easy to distinguish. So the image of Niña should give us a pixel size /relation to refer to for the satellite images? I'm interested in helping to view these. Cheers, always hopeful.
Old 13-07-2013, 03:07   #547

Boat: s/v Urraco S&S Swan 37 (copy)

Various media sources in New Zealand are continuing with the line that Nina was not seaworthy when she left NZ. The most recent was today when TV3 News put the camera their so called blue water expert Russ Rimmington who repeated his comments about Nina having a warped hull. I believe this is pure unsubstantiated speculation on his part but the journalists involved are not interested in checking the credibility of their sources or verifying their claims. They are using the Nina story to push the case for foreign flagged yachts visiting NZ having to meet our Category 1 certificate requirements before being allowed to depart NZ. The case is gaining some traction because of the cost of searches. It is extremely frustrating that Nina and her crew are being used in this way. Is there anyone out there who has recent knowledge of Nina's structural condition who can counter the comments and speculation from the so called experts?
Old 13-07-2013, 04:41   #548

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

First, the vessel would have been "hogged", not warped. Not much of an expert if he doesn't know his terms. Hogging is very common in vessels of this age and do not normally effect the structural integrity of the hull.
But this, as you say, is all speculation.
Old 13-07-2013, 06:05   #549

Boat: Mirage 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower77 View Post
Response to Cloudsail on Google image
http://goo.gl/maps/rJyrN

Niña's exact location in the Google image at the Whangarei town basin is actually 5 boats to the NW of your locating red arrow. That is her berthed at the front of the line of yachts on that pier. She is positioned adjacent to the green roofed building, and the flagpole and also opposite the entrance to the piers of moored boats to the N. In the image there are no boats in front of her so hopefully it should be easy to distinguish. So the image of Niña should give us a pixel size /relation to refer to for the satellite images? I'm interested in helping to view these. Cheers, always hopeful.
Do you mean this one? http://goo.gl/maps/Vgfyy One of the first things they did when searching for Jim Gray's boat was find a satellite image of the boat in its berth. So there it is. At MODIS's highest resolution (250m) boats of this size would take up less than 1/10th of a pixel. Hopefully Friend of Nina has access to a much higher resolution and some way to scale it down to a low-res first look.

I had a quick look at landserf and whitebox but both seemed to require ShaktiGurl's level of GIS expertise to get started. I'll keep looking.
Old 13-07-2013, 06:20   #550
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

without reading 37 pages, and 3 threads is it assumed that they were hit abeam with a massive breaking wave? why else would they not pop the eprib?
Old 13-07-2013, 08:23   #551

Allan wish I could figure out a way to fight back. I have corrected misleading comments on the engine install.

Cherie
Old 13-07-2013, 08:49   #552

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
without reading 37 pages, and 3 threads is it assumed that they were hit abeam with a massive breaking wave? why else would they not pop the eprib?
These people are sailors, The last thing they will think of is the Epirb,

Even sailing with bare poles, They will be thinking of getting their boat home, or to the nearest land,

Some of you just dont realize That a month extra on the ocean on the way home is normal for sailing vessels,

We are slow, Subject also to the prevailing winds, Thats a very big ocean they are missing in.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:53   #553
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Nina View Post
Allan wish I could figure out a way to fight back. I have corrected misleading comments on the engine install.

Cherie
Whilst this thread on CF all very useful, nonetheless I think merit in somebody (family / friends at the centre of the story - in real life so would know what is going on in the real world as well as in cyberspace) setting up a dedicated website to summarise the story to date, clearly separate the facts from the maybes and the unproven (and nonsense?) - and to make clear what avenues are being explored and by whom, and what help folks can provide (is wanted!).

May also serve as a "Go to" destination for the Press (they do like Mr Google!), to at least have half a chance of getting some facts into a story........

No reason why can't still use this thread / CF (and others already elsewhere on the internet?) to keep the story "live", indeed IMO would make sense rather than to try and set up (and manage ) own forum.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:03   #554

David I wish as it reads like a roller coaster on track based on fiction, nonfiction
Old 13-07-2013, 09:15   #555

Hit wrong button:-)) and myths. But, isn't that life? Never organized, sometimes chaos with hope and sorrow mixed in? Hate to break this thread as even more information has been found. Sorry not all posted on CF.

We try to put as much as we can and really we would be at square one without all the help from salts and not so salty on this forum. We even have geeks on this forum that have just about broke code on my mom's telephone calls.

My problem right now is proving wrong or right the warped hull. I've already have proof sent to RCCNZ about them putting blame on new engine.

Totally INCORRECT! Engine people thought it was well done install and engine worked perfectly fine.

My brother was meticulous on keeping up Nina. Even where he has worked on other boats insisted on upkeep and maintenance at his places of employment.

So Nina must come back to prove the non-woodies wrong. 85 years old and still going strong!!!

Cherie
Closed Thread