Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2022, 03:08   #1

Boat: GibSea 352
Savvy Navvy - where's the key?

I'm new to Savvy Navvy, and it seems pretty good. But I cannot find the key anywhere on their site, or anywhere. So, I can't understand the risks etc. Here's an example - the recommended route is marked on the chart, but some of it is dashed in red, and some in yellow. I've not idea what that means.

I'm also aware there is a longer and deeper channel on this stretch of river - but it never plots that route as an alternative whatever the state of tide. This strikes me as strange: if red/yellow lines are a warning, it should show the safer plot, right?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 10.55.48.png
Views:	74
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	258559  
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 22:30   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Savvy Navvy - where's the key?

As best I can make out from some quick messing around, the yellow is apparently used to indicate "not enough wind to sail" and red to indicate passing over water shoaler than your draft. You should be able to adjust those parameters in the settings for your vessel.

It's an interesting app; I might play with the web version a bit more to see how it handles some messier tidal cases.

As to safety, I suggest caution when using do-it-for-you apps for navigation. One should never assume there's anything "safe" about an auto-computed route.

This looks like a useful tool for incorporating weather and tide, but ultimately you are responsible for the route you sail. Your evaluation of that route should be done using the best available data; that can certainly include consulting 3rd party charts as a 2nd opinion, but should always include up-to-date official charts.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 00:15   #3

Re: Savvy Navvy - where's the key?

I have also been trying out the app and really like it so far. The documentation is sparse at this point. I am trying to figure out how to save multiple routes for planning several different passages. I don’t see how that can be done. Once I create my first route…it is always on the screen and trying to start a route from a different point can only append to the original route you created. I am thinking this is only for one route at a time as its purpose is to calculate your next step only.
Anyone have experience with Savvy Navvy and can address this?
Thank you.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote