Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 10:42   #16

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Saving Active Captain data on a laptop for offline use?

Im not sure if its worth it to save $20/yr, but you can run the Active Caprain Android app in an android VM on the Windows machibe.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 11:03   #17

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Im not sure if its worth it to save $20/yr, but you can run the Active Caprain Android app in an android VM on the Windows machibe.
If you have 'net access there are lots of options.
Old 23-03-2017, 11:42   #18

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

jcapo,
Thanks for the price...

I logged on, created an account and then found multiple choices with what I "thought" was the program, but it was for $90 or so... Must have been in the wrong place...

I'll definitely go back and search... If I still can't find it, I'll send them an email or try to post to get directed to where I can sign on for the $20 subscription... Found some maps/charts there for less than $10...

I agree that for this price, it's a steal and I would definitely want to support anyone providing this service for so little!

I DEFINITELY want to find something I can access AC OFFLINE... Otherwise, I'd just stick with AC as is...

OK... Back to work. Need to ship out these prototypes tomorrow and I'm still working on the vacuum forming molds! =O

Thanks!
Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 13:06   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

For the record, the US NOAA charts are free, so that's not the reason. Polar View is a nice program, but not something worth paying an annual subscription for. Ditto MS Office, and all the others who are trying to move to that model.

I prefer not to encourage them.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 13:26   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

So I've been wondering about those of us who have purchased PolarView before the new license agreement.

And found this on the site,

INFO Users who purchased PolarView NS product activation code, receive complimentary subscription to PolarView NS, US charts, GRIB and POI downloads for 3 years from the date of original order, or until August 31, 2017, whichever comes last.

Guess I'm good until August. Doubt I will subscribe. Just use it without AC data, which I'll review on the AC website while ashore or at anchor.
Old 23-03-2017, 14:25   #21

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
If you have 'net access there are lots of options.
The app allows you to download tiles which are then available offline.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:56   #22
cruiser

We only use Active Captain without internet and have been using PolarView on a Mac and Garmin Blue Chart on our phones and iPad. PolarView is great. It'll show you which NOAA charts were updated and allow you to download only them. That's perfect with you have wifi which is also when we sync PolarView with Active Captain.

If you don't pay the subscription, everything works. You just get bothered by a request to pay. Is that guiltware? It works for us. We use it so much that we want them have the $20 so they keep enhancing it.
CaribQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:36   #23

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel

Outcome...

Well, still haven't figure out to get Active Captain on our laptops (Trust me! I am SO computer illiterate!!! LOL!), I also have a LOT of tasks/projects to do on our boat before we go... (Building a bow roller for our new #25 Mantus, installing a manual windlass, modifying our anchor locker hatch, new companionway hatch slides, adding a 200watt solar power system, new batteries... and two pages of "other" things to do before we leave! (It never ends! LOL!)

So... I researched and purchased the Salish Sea guides (PDF files with TONS of info!), for only $9.95 CD (About $7.50 USD), and they're updated every year.

Also just downloaded all the NOAA charts for the area in PDF format and purchased a couple of the Canadian paper charts for the areas we'll be visiting there... Added one more guidebook (Wagoneers), so I think we're way more than set!

My first cruise of the area (15yrs ago), was in a little San Juan 21 with only a few of the charts for the area and a compass (not even a depth finder!)! LOL!

(Amazing when we "learn more", how much more we think we need! LOL!)

We now have our Garmin640 with two Bluechart Vision chips for the PNW and homeport on our laptops for viewing just in case our GPS stops working.. Also added a second depthfinder (Actually a fish finder with visual screen to get a sense of what the bottom is like for anchoring.)

That and our blender, and I think we're fully equipped! LOL!

Thanks for the help guys!
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, laptop