Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2024, 01:06   #436

Re: Sat2Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensw View Post
Will be great but I do not know how to do this manually. sat2chart automate this process. Can you give me an insight about the manual procedure from SasPlanet?

Thank you
Pretty good tutorial below, also very good info here > Making mbTiles,
the smaller zooms don't actually take that much space so I tend to go for 14,15,16,17,18,1,19.20
To select an area often for a coast I'll use polyline then cancel, then in selection manager use edit last selection to tweak the area.
It downloads really slowly so in the download tab of the selection manager split selection into parts set high will create lots of downloads at once to speed things up.
Bing usually seem the best sat images but worth having a look at the other sources.

barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 01:14   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoMeCasa View Post
Pretty good tutorial below, also very good info here > Making mbTiles,
the smaller zooms don't actually take that much space so I tend to go for 14,15,16,17,18,1,19.20
To select an area often for a coast I'll use polyline then cancel, then in selection manager use edit last selection to tweak the area.
It downloads really slowly so in the download tab of the selection manager split selection into parts set high will create lots of downloads at once to speed things up.
Bing usually seem the best sat images but worth having a look at the other sources.

Thank you a lot, very useful
opensw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 02:12   #438

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by opensw View Post
Will be great but I do not know how to do this manually. sat2chart automate this process. Can you give me an insight about the manual procedure from SasPlanet?

Thank you
First, OpenSW, Welcome to CF! Hope we can help you out.
  1. In SAS, go to Settings, Map Settings, & under Internet (top) run the Max Concurrent Requests up to some high number, like 50, & close the dialog [OK]. Repeat this for all other maps you're going to use.
  2. Go to Operations, Selection Manager, Polygonal Selection
  3. Click where necessary to define your area of interest. You can move (pan) around by RIGHT clicking the map & dragging. Clicking on a point will allow you to drag it. To insert a new point, click on the PREVIOUS point, then click on the line to create a new point. (If you accidentally create a bogus point, click the left-most icon in the little floating toolbar to delete it.)
  4. When your area is defined the way you want it, click the green Check-mark in the floating toolbar. This will bring up the download dialog.
  5. First thing is to save your polygon, using the save icon at the bottom of the dialog.
  6. Click Close Download window once finished.
  7. Click Split selection to Parts, & run that up to about 20.
  8. Click the Zooms you want, usually 10-18.
  9. Click Start, & wait for the downloads to complete (may take a while)
  10. When finished, type CTRL-B to bring back your last polygon
  11. Go to the Export Tab (4th from left)
  12. Under Export Selection to Format, choose mbTiles, near the bottom.
  13. Under Save To, click the 3 dots on the right to select a folder & filename for your mbTile. I suggest that you put country & area in your name, as well as the map-type.
  14. Select the zooms you want (usually the same zooms you used earlier)
  15. Fill in other stuff if you want (not necessary)
  16. Click Start, & it will create the mbTile for you.
Switch to your next map, hit CTRL-B to bring up your previous polygon, switch back to the Download tab, & start the next download (& when it finishes, create the mbTile, using a new name).

Repeat this for as many maps as you want, then move to a new area, define another polygon, & repeat for as many areas as you're interested in.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Old 19-04-2024, 02:36   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
First, OpenSW, Welcome to CF! Hope we can help you out.
  1. In SAS, go to Settings, Map Settings, & under Internet (top) run the Max Concurrent Requests up to some high number, like 50, & close the dialog [OK]. Repeat this for all other maps you're going to use.
  2. Go to Operations, Selection Manager, Polygonal Selection
  3. Click where necessary to define your area of interest. You can move (pan) around by RIGHT clicking the map & dragging. Clicking on a point will allow you to drag it. To insert a new point, click on the PREVIOUS point, then click on the line to create a new point. (If you accidentally create a bogus point, click the left-most icon in the little floating toolbar to delete it.)
  4. When your area is defined the way you want it, click the green Check-mark in the floating toolbar. This will bring up the download dialog.
  5. First thing is to save your polygon, using the save icon at the bottom of the dialog.
  6. Click Close Download window once finished.
  7. Click Split selection to Parts, & run that up to about 20.
  8. Click the Zooms you want, usually 10-18.
  9. Click Start, & wait for the downloads to complete (may take a while)
  10. When finished, type CTRL-B to bring back your last polygon
  11. Go to the Export Tab (4th from left)
  12. Under Export Selection to Format, choose mbTiles, near the bottom.
  13. Under Save To, click the 3 dots on the right to select a folder & filename for your mbTile. I suggest that you put country & area in your name, as well as the map-type.
  14. Select the zooms you want (usually the same zooms you used earlier)
  15. Fill in other stuff if you want (not necessary)
  16. Click Start, & it will create the mbTile for you.
Switch to your next map, hit CTRL-B to bring up your previous polygon, switch back to the Download tab, & start the next download (& when it finishes, create the mbTile, using a new name).

Repeat this for as many maps as you want, then move to a new area, define another polygon, & repeat for as many areas as you're interested in.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Thank you, with the previous video tutorial and your instructions everything is working very well on my Mac M1 and the map details are amazing
opensw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 15:15   #440

Hi Paul,

Firstly thanks for building sat2chart its a great tool. I'm having some trouble in creating a chart however from sasplant. When i go to compile a chart i get the error message of:

Error: there is no SasPlanet.ini at:C:\SASPlanet.ini
Error: Invalid SasPlanet Cache type.

I've tried coping the ini file into C:\ but it doesn't copy, i cant work out how to fix the error, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Samm
Raven40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 15:46   #441

Sorry Paul, I fixed the issue, i didn't specify sasplant location in C:\
Raven40 is offline   Reply With Quote