Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2022, 12:37   #301

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Sat2Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian5142 View Post
Sat2Chart ... The split Tickbox is missing...
Thanks,
Ian
Unfortunately, Ian, my documentation is somewhat behind Paul's reality. I need to update my page...

The splits are now specified on a per-chart-type basis, on the final dialog where you tell Sat2Chart which charts you want. It's a column in the dialog, & they're controlled by the +/- buttons (I think).

Sat2Chart will also now spawn up to 8 incarnations of SAS Planet, or one for each Route file if you feed it fewer than 8 routes. Each incarnation will spawn the number of download threads (splits) that you specify. This can add up to a LOT of download threads. I used to limit SAS to 20 download threads, but it doesn't seem to be a problem (for my computer) with 8x15=120 downloads, & possibly more.

FWIW, I've noticed that if you download too much too quickly from GE, it'll cut you off (for a while) but I don't know the relevant parameters here.
Old 28-12-2022, 13:06   #302

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

Ian, I got your log and gpx file and asked for you to check the SasPlanet Selection manager to be sure the "Close download window once finished" checkbox was not checked.

If it was not checked I would like you to try selecting just one map the "Sateliite (Google Maps)" and see if it works by itself. If it fails send me the Sat2Chart.log and screenshot of the SasPlanet window.

Paul
Old 30-12-2022, 13:19   #303

Boat: Cape Islander - tour boat

Actually since then. I have got it working. Is there a limit to the number of points either program can process? I had a fairly precise route with ~4000 points and it didn't parse it properly. The program generated the same window error again. I then just drew a simple square box using the max and min latitude and longitude values. It worked then. It is just taking ~2.25 days to download from Bing Satellite mostly. I gave up on using Google Satellite because of its download limits. I also picked Both Navionics charts.

Zoom levels from 10 to 19.

Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated.
ian5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 14:03   #304

Good to hear you got it working, Ian.

I'll leave your question RE: 4,000 points in a route to Paul, as he's the only one who knows the internal limitations of Sat2Chart.

But I will say that linear routes can get a bit ... squirrely. Sat2Chart works much better with closed polygonal routes, & OpenCPN makes this pretty easy, as just clicking near an existing point will get it to ask if you want to use that exact point.

SAS actually only works with closed polygonal routes, so Sat2Chart has to convert a linear route to a closed polygon, & some of the logic in there, especially for sharp turns &/or overlaps gets very hairy. For complicated routes, I now rely more on closed polygons.

Also, I tend to download data for ~3nm on each side of my linear routes (when I use them). I find it very helpful in OpenCPN to draw a vertical 3nm route where I can see it while I'm drawing my route along a land-mass. This lets me see quickly if a small jog in my route is really necessary, or if my 3nm-wide (on each side) is going to get it. It lets me see how wide 3nm is at whatever zoom level I happen to be drawing my route at, & it saves me from putting a ton of points in my route when I don't have to.

But in general, polygonal routes are easier for Sat2Chart, more accurately reflect what you'll get, & they generally result in smaller mbTiles as well, although I'll admit that they generally take a bit longer to make.

Yes, high zoom-levels will have to download a LOT more data, 4 TIMES as much as the previous zoom. That's why ~2/3 of your mbTile is just your highest zoom. I find that I can usually see all that I need to with Z18, so I don't go higher, since my mbTiles (& my SAS Cache) are already pretty huge. Also, I find that zoom levels above Z18 often aren't available for the areas I'm trying to chart. But you may have special needs, & I notice that the Med often has higher zoom levels available.
Old 30-12-2022, 14:52   #305

Ian,
As Jon said Sat2Chart will convert a path (which Jon calls a linear route) to a polygon. It does this by creating a polygon between each point then merges it with the previous ones. So if you have 1000s of points it could run out of resources. If you want to cover a large area along your route use zigzags. There is a tutorial covering this: 30. Creating Charts From a path with ZigZags and Jogs

Best to use a polygon if possible.
Old 30-12-2022, 15:24   #306

Thanks,
I think I understand how it works better now.

Ian
Old 02-01-2023, 11:06   #307

I have another issue now. I was able to get the Bing Maps MBTile to fully download and compile. However, the Navionics Marine Chart and SonarChart seem to compile but each generate 5 errors. I have a log file (~1MB) created from various tries on log level 1.

I first thought it wasn't downloading all of the charts so I painstakingly went at Zoom Level 19, my max zoom level along my entire route. I created a perfect rectangle from my max and min coordinates. I only followed the route however in SasPlanet. The file size on the next run was only slightly higher, less than a MB in the difference.

I also thought that Navionics might be limiting my download via IP address so I tried a VPN address in France. No change. Any other ideas?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lvb...usp=share_link

Thanks,
Ian
Old 02-01-2023, 19:00   #308

Ian, I tried the gpx file you sent me and I also get many download errors for the Navionics maps, all seem to be from Z19. Why the Navionics server is giving errors I don't know. It may be because you are trying to download tiles that don't exist at that zoom level.

Some suggestions:
1. Do them one maps at a time.
2. Leave out Z19
3. Change the split levels to 20 its currently 3. The reason for this is Sasplanet divides up the desired tiles into blocks and assigns a block to each download window. Sat2Chart monitors all the download windows and if it detects a download error it keeps track of the number of errors for each download window (the total errors for all the downloads is displayed) . If the error count reaches 5 for a download window Sat2Chart will terminate that download window. So the more splits the more likely the blocks not getting errors will continue. Because you have only 3 splits, very quickly all the downloads are terminated.
If errors were detected during the download, Sat2Chart will RETRY the downloads again one time.
Old 02-01-2023, 19:25   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post

Some suggestions:
1. Do them one maps at a time.

This I will try.
Quote:

2. Leave out Z19

This I can try. I do see a visible chart difference between Z18 and Z19, however.

Quote:

3. Change the split levels to 20 its currently 3.

I know about the split option but Sat2Chart, on my computer does not have a tickbox for it in the chart selection screen, the one where I select the charts and zoom levels. It has 2 options:
By pass confirming of charts, checked.
Make Polygons / Paths rectangles, not checked.
No split option is displayed. I remember seeing it when I first starting using SAT2Chart but I haven't seen it in a while (more than a week now).
Old 02-01-2023, 20:41   #310

Ian, are you trying to say that your confirmation window does NOT look substantially like the left/first image?

When you click on the initial 20 in the Splits column, Sat2Chart highlights that 20 & you can then use the +/- keys to change it to as many splits as you want.

If your confirmation screen doesn't include that splits column, then you should check the SAS Planet Options tab in Sat2Chart, to verify it looks like the second image here.

If you have substantial differences, you should get those sorted out before going much further.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SASPlanetOptions.png
Views:	40
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	269478   Click image for larger version

Name:	SASPlanetOptionsPage.png
Views:	38
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	269479  

Old 02-01-2023, 21:17   #311

No split option. The other window looks like yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat2Chart missing split.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	269480  
Old 03-01-2023, 10:35   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian5142 View Post
No split option. The other window looks like yours.
I'll let Paul comment on why there's no "splits" on your SAS Planet options tab.

But if your confirmation window looks like mine, then you can select the number of splits (the number just after the checkbox [] on the left edge of the right window) & use the +/- keys to select the number of download threads you want each chart-type to use. They're independently controlled now.

And yes, this is also a relatively recent modification that isn't reflected in my How-To page (yet). Unfortunately, the fast cable-modem internet connection where we're currently staying (at my brother-in-law's house) isn't letting me publish any website updates! Very frustrating...
Old 03-01-2023, 10:43   #313

Ian, the number of splits is initially in the Sat2Chart/SasPlanet options but as soon as you create an mbtiles that check box disappears and the splits are set in the window where you select the zoom levels where you can specify a value for each map. Use the +/- keys to change them.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:54   #314

Quote:
Ian, the number of splits is initially in the Sat2Chart/SasPlanet options but as soon as you create an mbtiles that check box disappears and the splits are set in the window where you select the zoom levels where you can specify a value for each map. Use the +/- keys to change them.
Thanks for this, Paul. OK, I'm busted. You showed I only downloaded the most recent version, & haven't actually used it to make any mbTiles yet!
Old 14-01-2023, 15:17   #315

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

I am trying to get some imagery into OpenCPN. There seems to be a lot of information to try to wade through.

I have not been successful yet. So a few questions:

1. Can I do it all from within SASPlanet? (Doing it via Sat2Chart seems to add extra complication.
2. If I still need Sat2Chart I get the message :

Error: there is no SasPlanet.ini at:C:\Sasplanet\SASPlanet.ini
Error: Invalid SasPlanet Cache type.

When I click create chart.

I was following this guide:

file:///C:/SAT2CHART/SAT2CHART.V16.0.2.0/Help/English/SasPlanet.html#SasPlanetWin

HELP!
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote